Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: T.W.R. The Missing Link  (Read 21259 times)

REGGAB

T.W.R. The Missing Link
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:17 PM »

Didn’t think it would be this easy…….or this quick of an install.  Took my time.  2.5 hours.  Was thinking I’d have to find something else to do tomorrow, since this went so quick.  More on that later.  Onto Tracy’s Kit.
Contents of TW Racing’s “The Missing Link” kit are displayed in the picture below.  Craftsmanship of the Au alloy 6061 T6 brackets is superb.  Powdercoating is excellent.  The only machine marks you’ll see are those Tracy wants you to see, like the linked chain at the bottom of the swingarm bracket and the TWR logo and chain on the oil pan bracket.  Oil pan bolts are .25” longer than stock, grade 8.   Instructions are easy to understand.
NOTE:  2002 motorcycles require a bushing H-D part number 47564-86B to complete the install.

REGGAB

Re: T.W.R. The Missing Link
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »

Here’s a picture of my stock bracket.  Tracy’s instructions indicate raising the bike enough to have the rear wheel clear the floor by an inch or two.  Standard body part removal (RH saddlebag and side cover, RH passenger floorboard) is indicated.  You’ll also need to remove (loosen-depending on exhaust style) your header(s) in order to gain access to the lower bracket bolt.  Instructions indicate placing a .5” thick by 2” wide piece of steel or wood, wrapped in a rag between the right side of the oil pan and the frame crossmember (dogbone) to support the transmission and swingarm while removing and replacing the swingarm bracket.  In my picture, you can just see the rag, which is wrapped around my means of support.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »

This is a picture after removing the stock swingarm bracket.  When installing the TWR bracket, it helps to smear a drop of oil on the inside of the big hole of the new bracket when installing it over the rubber mount.  When installing the new bracket MAKE SURE THE .25” LOCATING STUB ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE NEW BRACKET IS IN THE SLOT IN THE RUBBER MOUNT.  Install the supplied bolts and TQ to 34-42 ft/lbs.  Don’t forget to reintall the brake line clamp.  Remove the chrome plug from the stock bracket and install it in the new bracket.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:52 PM »

This is how the new bracket looks after installation.  Now you can remove the support from between the oil pan and the dogbone.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:33:07 PM »

Remove the three rearmost bolts from the oil pan.  Put a drop of blue threadlocker on the supplied grade 8 oil pan bolts, postion the new oil pan bracket, install the bolts and TQ to 84-108 in/lbs…..like this.  Note the TWR logo on the oil pan bracket.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »

Next, install the new gold/brass colored bolt through the top of the tab on the inboard side of the new swingarm bracket, place the 1/8” spacer over the shank, and place the loose end of the rod over the shank.  This’ll take some adjusting of the loose rod end to get it just so.  Once this is done, install the self locking nut and TQ to 30 ft/lbs.  Make sure the flats of the rod ends are perpendicular to the shanks of their bolts and tighten the jam nuts against the rod ends…..like this.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

When finished, before reinstalling body parts and the like, this is what it should look like.

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:36:16 PM »

Put everything back together, this thing is stealthy, yet sharp.

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:25 PM »

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 10:38:39 PM »

So, I get everything buttoned up, and try to lower the bike.  Jack won’t build pressure.  Dammit.  Oh well………..Thumper will sit there like that for the night.  I’ll figure it out in the morning.

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »

Simple install.  I’ll work it over good on the way to Traxxion next week and report.  Contact Tracy ("twr" on this forum) to get your’s.  I’d be glad to handle a group buy, and will work a price if there is interest.  Poll is in this thread.  Enjoy.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:52 PM »

Nice write up and pictures of the install Henry.  The AK20's will complete your suspension upgrade.  The Bitubos look right at home on the rear.   :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 01:52:15 AM »

Henry.  Whose bike ya workin' on?  There's dirt behind the side cover so it can't be yours can it :huepfenlol2: ?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 06:10:55 AM »

So, I get everything buttoned up, and try to lower the bike.  Jack won’t build pressure.  Dammit.  Oh well………..Thumper will sit there like that for the night.  I’ll figure it out in the morning.

Henry, I've got a 35 Ton crane I could bring down. $150 an hour with a two hour minimum.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:28:31 AM »

As long as it doesn't decide to execute last command and lower on its own.   :oops: 

Looking good Henry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 24 queries.