Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Belt tension/Chrome swingarm  (Read 4539 times)

hogasm

Belt tension/Chrome swingarm
« on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:21 PM »

Having a small problem keeping the belt on my 04 SEEG tight. Just installed a chrome swingarm with the axle nut and moon tensioner chromed also.

I ground off the chrome on the back sides of the adjusters but that did not work.

Right now I have added two star washers between the adjuster and the swingarm. After only a few miles the belt has over 1" of play, and it stays there. Guess the star washers slip a little then finally catch. When you do this, the c-clip will not go on the axle, You must use locktite.

Thought about making an adjuster that would resemble the older style. :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Belt tension/Chrome swingarm
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »

Brian,

If you try the old style I would be interested in your feedback on how it worked out.   I have also had this issue, and have to watch the belt tension closely.    Hence the recent broken belt.   Even with a chain it will continue to be an issue when using the camber style adjustment.   You may also want to check your belt guard for wear, mine was half eatten by the tire movement.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »

Having a small problem keeping the belt on my 04 SEEG tight. Just installed a chrome swingarm with the axle nut and moon tensioner chromed also.

I ground off the chrome on the back sides of the adjusters but that did not work.

Right now I have added two star washers between the adjuster and the swingarm. After only a few miles the belt has over 1" of play, and it stays there. Guess the star washers slip a little then finally catch. When you do this, the c-clip will not go on the axle, You must use locktite.

Thought about making an adjuster that would resemble the older style. :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:.

Dumb question probably, but are you toquing the rear axle nut to spec ? Those funky eliptical adjusters will move all over the place unchromed if you don't tighten the nuts down to spec.

B B

hogasm

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »

Dumb question probably, but are you toquing the rear axle nut to spec ? Those funky eliptical adjusters will move all over the place unchromed if you don't tighten the nuts down to spec.

B B

There is really never a dumb question asked......only dumb answers :coolblue:

We did tighten to specs........remember that chrome swingarm :huepfenlol2:

Looks damn good.....but chrome don't get you home :oops:

I have looked closely today about the idea of using the outer spacers, and fabricating an older style tensioner with them. This way nothing will have to be changed or welded on the swingarm.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:16:53 PM »

There is really never a dumb question asked......only dumb answers :coolblue:

We did tighten to specs........remember that chrome swingarm :huepfenlol2:

Looks damn good.....but chrome don't get you home :oops:

I have looked closely today about the idea of using the outer spacers, and fabricating an older style tensioner with them. This way nothing will have to be changed or welded on the swingarm.

Yeah I remember - - - in a moment of weakness I parted with some precious chrome.

If the chrome is the problem then grind it off in the area where it's a problem and use the original non chrome axle and adjuster thingamajig. Non of that shows with the saddlebags covering it up anyway. The rest of it has to look sweet though.

B B

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »

Yeah I remember - - - in a moment of weakness I parted with some precious chrome.

If the chrome is the problem then grind it off in the area where it's a problem and use the original non chrome axle and adjuster thingamajig. Non of that shows with the saddlebags covering it up anyway. The rest of it has to look sweet though.

B B

Looks real nice.....except that I don't have a chrome pulley :oops:

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »

Get'er Done Baby!

Please note I am living my wishes via your life!

;)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 09:16:39 AM »

im still having problems keeping belt tight.ive done it with wheel off the ground and with wheel on the ground. i torque the axle nut to spec but after a short time im about 1" of play too

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »

:worthless:

Show us your Swingarm Brian

hogasm

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »

:worthless:

Show us your Swingarm Brian

Just saw this Big B....waiting for my flight out of Guatemala. Will post some pics when <i get back :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »

Just saw this Big B....waiting for my flight out of Guatemala. Will post some pics when <i get back :2vrolijk_21:

You go there every year. What for ?

Sorry, just curious

B B

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

Sorry, just curious

B B

He's fishing.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »

hogasm

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »

Sorry, just curious

B B

Went fishing for pacific sailfish and checked into setting up fishing/riding trips. I want to take groups of people there to fish for a couple of days and then go riding in the country.

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »

Just pulled the axle back out and scuffed the chrome on the swingarm and the back of the adjusters. We'll see if this takes care of a loosening belt.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.