Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: moving floorboards  (Read 8689 times)

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
moving floorboards
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

Howdy everyone. The ice is gone and the streets dried up enough for me to get my first ride on my annie. Temps were still down but it felt great. I did find out on the ride that I wish I had a bit more leg room. Has anyone moved thier floorboards forward? I am doing a little surfing to see if there is such a thing. I have moved foot controls on my Softail but the mounts on the Roadking are a bit different. I did get my passing lamp project done and they work and look great. Now I work on a little better comfort. Any tall riders out there with the same problem? Thanks !
Keep your knees to the breeze

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
Re: moving floorboards
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »

Howdy everyone. The ice is gone and the streets dried up enough for me to get my first ride on my annie. Temps were still down but it felt great. I did find out on the ride that I wish I had a bit more leg room. Has anyone moved thier floorboards forward? I am doing a little surfing to see if there is such a thing. I have moved foot controls on my Softail but the mounts on the Roadking are a bit different. I did get my passing lamp project done and they work and look great. Now I work on a little better comfort. Any tall riders out there with the same problem? Thanks !

I'm getting ready to do the same thing. Supposedly, H-D has a kit available for the RK. The floorboards need to go up and out a bit.  I'm also thinking about removing the engine guard, and installing a highway peg set-up.  I'm not a "taller rider" (my in-seam is only 30") but I feel a little cramped on the bike.
Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:08:09 PM »

I had to change the handle bars, the seat and the backrest. Made a world of difference.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »

I'll have to look for the kit. What seat and bars did you go with? I'm a little nervous about bars with everything being internal. I also have to be carefull about a seat so I don't crowd my passenger. I have plans to add a tourpak later. I have a 33" inseam and feel pretty good on the bike now except the legs. The ol' knees feel a little cramped. I want to slide my feet up on the boards now and they end up too far under the brake and shifter. When I got the bike I added passenger floorboards so I ended up with extra pegs. I picked up a set of clamps for the engine guard that let me put my extra pegs on the engine guard. That lets me stretch a little for the long rides. I did a little research and because the shift lever boss is on the primary, If a person moves the board, the shifter stays where it is. I did see a slotted extended shift lever in J&P's catalog that looks like it will even match. I am also thinking about the brake. J&P is only 50 miles from me so it's a quick visit to go see the parts and talk to the guys. They have a great tech dept. there. They even let me take parts to the bike to size up and compare. Keep your knees to the breeze.

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:34:30 AM »

I was out and about today and ended up at J&P cycles. Their main warehouse and showroom is 45 miles from me. I was talking to one of the counter guys about moving floorboards forward on my Roadking and he looked in their catalog and didn't find anything. These guys at J&P don't like to give up trying to help too easy though. He started pulling out catalogs of everything out there and got to Drag Specialties Big Book. They list just what I am looking for. It seems Arlan Ness is making the brackets to move the floorboards 2" forward. The guy at J&P looked it up on their computer and said it's a new product. They are to become available in April. He said that J&P might be able to actually get them in May. I'll keep checking on them though. The big book site shows them in their catalog. There will be a black set and a chrome set. I'm also thinking that this may cause me to have to do something with the shifter and maybe the brake pedal. It looks like I have plenty of time to work out the bugs. Keep your knees to the breeze.

viczena

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »

the first thing i installed on my 08 flhrcse was 50409-04, the extended floorboard kit. i got used to it with my last 3 bikes. i also didnt really like the shiny appearance of the oval floorboards which were originale delivered. floorboards are something i put my wornout boots on, no shiny gimmick feature...

i am still looking for an extended gear shift lever, which will fit to the installed billet design..

peter

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:53:59 AM »

J&P has a extended gear shift that looks close to the stock style in their catalog. I have my eye on that to use if and when I move my floorboards. I am also wondering if I will have to move the brake pedal too.I find myself sliding my foot forward under the pedal now. It looks like this two inches is going to be expensive. Anything HD usually is.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »

I have also seen these. I do not know about them nor have I used them .....
http://www.wildbillscycles.com/brackets.html

Hotrodstitcher

• Senior CVO Member
    • Sid Chavers Company
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »

Used these a couple of time. A little pricey but great quality and chrome...Sid

http://www.bubbasbrake.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16135&cat=252&page=1

viczena

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 01:15:44 PM »

bubbasbrakes were exactly the ones, i took from every of my last 3 harleys to the new one ;). i especially liked the small oval brake pad.
now with the cvo i wanted to use the new billet design (i paid for...). the pre-installed brake lever is already the extended one, and it works perfect together with the extended floorboards i installed (boot size 15).

the pre-installed gear lever also seem to be longer than stock, but i never measured them. i have had no problems to use them with my boots.

peter

freshkeg

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:42 PM »

Take a look at a company called Softbrake, they have extended shifter leavers in extended lengths, from 1/2" to 2" longer.
http://www.softbrake.com/

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:01:41 PM »

I'll have to look for the kit. What seat and bars did you go with? I'm a little nervous about bars with everything being internal. I also have to be carefull about a seat so I don't crowd my passenger. I have plans to add a tourpak later. I have a 33" inseam and feel pretty good on the bike now except the legs. The ol' knees feel a little cramped. I want to slide my feet up on the boards now and they end up too far under the brake and shifter. When I got the bike I added passenger floorboards so I ended up with extra pegs. I picked up a set of clamps for the engine guard that let me put my extra pegs on the engine guard. That lets me stretch a little for the long rides. I did a little research and because the shift lever boss is on the primary, If a person moves the board, the shifter stays where it is. I did see a slotted extended shift lever in J&P's catalog that looks like it will even match. I am also thinking about the brake. J&P is only 50 miles from me so it's a quick visit to go see the parts and talk to the guys. They have a great tech dept. there. They even let me take parts to the bike to size up and compare. Keep your knees to the breeze.
HD Tallboy seat. Puts you couple of of inches further back and higher and Chubby WO518 bars. The seat is a lot nicer for passengers than the stock seat. Wild 1 bars can be wired internally.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »

HD Tallboy seat. Puts you couple of of inches further back and higher and Chubby WO518 bars. The seat is a lot nicer for passengers than the stock seat. Wild 1 bars can be wired internally.
Kojak, Does all the original lines and wiring work with the wildone bars you used? I am feeling a little intimidated thinking about redoing my bars because of the internal wiring.

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 11:24:25 PM »

bubbasbrakes were exactly the ones, i took from every of my last 3 harleys to the new one ;). i especially liked the small oval brake pad.
now with the cvo i wanted to use the new billet design (i paid for...). the pre-installed brake lever is already the extended one, and it works perfect together with the extended floorboards i installed (boot size 15).

the pre-installed gear lever also seem to be longer than stock, but i never measured them. i have had no problems to use them with my boots.

peter

What is your setup now? Are you using the original brake and shifter with the extended boards? I am thinking that if I extend the boards, I will have to move the shifter and brake forward too. Thanks for the help.

viczena

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 05:47:25 AM »

at the moment i drive with the extended floorboards and the original shifter and brake. works quite well. out of curiosity i ordered an extended shifter and a floor board (side) extension at softbrake.com.

will inform you, when it arrives..

peter
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.