Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Heat issues with 103???  (Read 4428 times)

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
Heat issues with 103???
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:46:13 PM »

I am taking delivery of a Yellow, 05, FLHTSE2, in about 1 week.  I am having it delivered
with Rhinehart true duals, but not doing the racing iginition pack due to warranty issues.
Starting from the first of the twin cam motors there have been heat issues, and I am concerned it the same will be a problem pushing this big displacement motor around.
I live at almost 6000 ft above sea level, and ride the bikes hard. (15k -20k per year, and
am always 2 up running 85-90 mph through an entire tank of gas)  
Any one out there had any problems, comments or suggestions???
Thanks
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Heat issues with 103???
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 05:41:06 AM »

If you are not going to use the RT with true duels you are going to run lean i.e. hot.  

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 07:09:38 AM »

No heat issues here and I'm in Florida.  Mackcr is right, you will need to remap with the Rineharts, better off getting the Race Tuner or PC3.  If your dealer says warranty is voided, find another dealer.

elvis

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 08:23:35 AM »

Striker,

Ours ran VERY hot as stock.  With Rineharts (true dual), SE air filter, and race tuner the temp came down dramatically.   [smiley=laugh.gif]

hdnut

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:36:25 AM »

I have had no heat problem's.Seeg's have a extra oil cooler. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
hdnut

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 09:37:38 AM »

elvis is correct - find another dealer who will do it RIGHT - my only issue with any oil cooler is that air flow is necessary to make them work - heat issue is when I am not at road speeds - therfore no air flow - air cooled when going down the road anyhow - I have seen and rode the seeg with RH pipes with the HP baffling - I personally perfer this version - but after reviewing the dyno results in another thread - picking thru data to see that mod's I will convert to eventually. I average around 20 to 25,000 miles per yr on a bike - double alot of times and see not heat issue - even my new yellow is cooler that the ultra ever was - go figure @heat from header pipes

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 09:43:22 AM »

As was said you will run lean(hot) unless you re map computer. Your dealer sells the SE race tuner. I have never heard of this voiding the warranty when the dealer does the install. To be done right , dealer needs to dyno tune the bike with the race tuner. If they don't have a dyno, find a dealer who does. You will be amazed at the difference.

srqseeg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 12:30:49 PM »

My experience is the same.  Race Tuner allowed dealer to Dyno and get the air/fuel mixture below a reading of 14.  We were told a reading of over 14 on the air/fuel mixture indicates the bike is running "hot."  We were being scorched until we made the adjustments above.

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:36 AM »

mackcr:
I have checked in the parts book at the race tuner, at the Harley shop, and under the application, it says,
"for off road use only, will void orginal manufactures warranty" The dealer said if there is a problem, they would stand behind it, but wouldn't guarantee that other dealers would.
The shop is saying they can do some tuning of the factory module to accomodate the
true duals, but said there could be some minor performance issues without the RT.
I am also putting on the 6 speed, to lower the RPMS on the highway, and will pull the lowers is the summer.

Elvis:
What is the PC-3? Not familiar with that.

Thanks to all for your comments, will post pics and keep in touch when the bike is in my shop.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »

power commander will allow the extra fine tuning - most shops will advise you that this may become a required addition to the tuning process if necessary  - so expect the extra cost - just from personal experience - if our shop put it on - it would not void warranty - unless something else was a necessary component and you failed to allow them to put it in thus a potential failure
the .251 s/e cam i am dropping in this weekend also says race only application - so what
it is all relative items for this engine with additional changes necessary.
some shops use a DFO - TFI etc - alot of info on the dyno forum thread going - very excellent info being dropped there - go check it out

mackcr

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 07:38:24 PM »

The warnng on the RT and other parts says "May void warranty". Your warranty will only be voided if the damage is a result of the part you have added. This includes the non-HD exhaust with or without the RT. An example of this would be if you install the exhaust without adjusting fuel and burn up the valve train. Your own dealer would probably cover this if he did the install but HD would not so you would have a tough time at another dealer. Warranty items that are not a result of any changes you have made will be covered.

Do what you want with the SEEG and have fun. Everything on the HD can be repaired or replaced. Look at it this way, if ever they willl not cover a part under warranty than you have the oppurtunity to upgrade to a non-stock part.

[smiley=beerchug.gif]

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 01:22:03 AM »

mackcr:
I have checked in the parts book at the race tuner, at the Harley shop, and under the application, it says,
"for off road use only, will void orginal manufactures warranty" The dealer said if there is a problem, they would stand behind it, but wouldn't guarantee that other dealers would.
The shop is saying they can do some tuning of the factory module to accomodate the
true duals, but said there could be some minor performance issues without the RT.
I am also putting on the 6 speed, to lower the RPMS on the highway, and will pull the lowers is the summer.

Elvis:
What is the PC-3? Not familiar with that.

Thanks to all for your comments, will post pics and keep in touch when the bike is in my shop.

Anything you do...including "tuning the factory module" to change it from stock may void the factory warranty. Take advantage of the wealth of info here from people who have been thru all of this, then make up your mind...do what you want to do and above all enjoy the ride! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 01:40:21 AM »

Went straight to the MOCO, and got the scoop.  The products that are in the screamin eagle catalog with the crossed flags are race applications.  The part in of themselves do not void your warranty on the rest of the bike.  However, if the RT for instances causes a problem that effects other parts of the bike, those parts will not be covered.  The burden is on the shop to prove that the other parts failure was a direct result of the RT.  (This would apply to the Rhinehart true duals, the six speed tranny etc.  So what I told em put all the crap on and once it is broke in, I will ride like I always have.  Pass everything but a gas station!  Just have to have patience for 1000 mi.
Thanks for all your input
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"

thechop107

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 02:37:33 PM »

Heat has always been an issue on EFI models as delivered from the factory -  changing the exhaust without correcting the fuel management is not recommended and will magnify the condition.   Heat is the result of  an unstable air fuel ratio.  It's not uncommon to see AFR's as lean as 17:1 on a stock, unmodified engine.  Optimal AFR is 14:1 - this is where your engine will perform best and operate at an acceptable temperature.

To achieve optimum overall performance, many products are available to tune or recalibrate your EFI system.  In addition to purchasing the  components you will also need a qualified tuner with lots of highly specialized equipment.  The other option is to purchase an engine management system or ECM that has been mapped by the manufacturer for a specific application.  

Zipper's offers the ThunderMax EFI controller and it is available as a pre mapped replacement ECM for your 05 FLHRSEI 103" with Rinehart True Duals, as this is a very popular combination.  One of the many unique features of the Zipper's ThunderMax ECM is that it includes a very efficient (95-98%) fuel and spark map,  resulting cooler operating
temperatures, improved throttle response and overall  driveablity.  The ThunderMax ECM also has a built in barometric sensor which will recognize altitude variations (another tricky feature).

As far as factory warranty goes, I'd much rather have a motorcycle that runs good with exceptional driveability than one that runs hot, spits and pops with poor throttle response.  It's your motorcycle, RIDE IT and ENJOY IT to it's fullest potential.  H-D should beware of scaring their customers by holding a warranty over their heads.  There are many high quality components available to improve the overall experience of owning and riding a Harley- Davidson motorcycle.  Many of them do not have a H-D part number.    

Check it out @

zippersperformance.com  

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 03:23:27 PM »

I have decided to go with the Rhinehart true duals, the Race Tuner, the screamin' Eagle aircleaner.  As soon as it gets over 75-80 air temp, the lowers will come off.
Sound good?
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
"Man what a ride!"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.