Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: New Vance & Hines Monster Ovals  (Read 72913 times)

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: New Vance & Hines Monster Ovals
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2008, 01:20:33 PM »

OK COOLBREEZE,I'll let you know.

WHATS WRONG
MY cr is about 10.3-1 and it just makes most anything too loud to my S.O. and myself,even the SE 4" touring muffs get loud but its usually a speed I ride at very little.
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:40 PM »

ouch.  I was running about 10.75/1 on the 95" Evo in the softail, and the higher C/R does make things sound a bit on the sharp side.  I finally solved the problem with a hooker 2-1 header with the adjustable muffler turned all the way to torque....  (I think it backed things up hard enough that the exhaust pulses overlapped and kind of cancelled each other out.   )
Made it hard to find good gas on the fringes of civilization too.....      Makes ya be sure you've got a bottle of octane boost in the tourpack doesn't it...      :P 
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »

I'm going to work on the CR this winter,I sent a email to the address in your profile
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »

bob2002,

This is probably a dumb question, but what are you talking about when you refer to CR??

I'm also having an issue with the sound of the Monsters.  The low deep rumble gets annoying when hearing it for long periods on the road.  Overall I don't think they are any quieter than the regular ovals I took off.  Just a different sound.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 11:10:37 AM by DakotaZeb »

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »

ZEB I'm refering to the compression ratio,the more you have the louder it makes the exhaust. I'm back to my old standby mufflers now the 4" SE,I was fooled by the size of the V&H the actual muffler is smaller then what you see until there out of the box.Just another muffler mistake on my part :-\
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2008, 06:12:08 PM »

OK.  All you guys that now have installed the Monsters, what do you think?

The more I run mine the more dissatisfied I am with them.  They seem to get louder the higher the rpm's and the higher the speed.  They really start to bother me after 65 mph.  I even think over 65 mph they are causing a vibration.

I've tried just about every set of slipons out there and still can't find something with a little more sound than stock that isn't too loud.  I'm just about ready to do back to the stockers.   :(

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »

Dakota,
Talk to TCinVA about doing the Fulsac conversion to the stock 4" in mufflers.  He's very happy with the sound and they supposedly sound really good.  I haven't had a chance to ride with him and listen to them, but knowing TC, if he says they sound great, they do.  He was looking for something that was louder than stock but quieter than SE mufflers, so the Fulsac conversion must have hit the spot for him.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

beeperman

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2008 XL883L
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »

My monsters have been on my Road King about a month. Cant complain here, very happy with the sound and performance. I guess if everything on your bike is tuned to perfection, the rest depends on the personal preference of sounds for the individual rider.  Happy little monster here   

Beeperman,

Ride Hard - Ride Safe

DAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2008, 12:18:24 AM »

I now have put 2500 miles on my monsters and remain very happy with them.  Sounds great and performs great!  Wife has traveled with me on 2000 of the miles and she also has no complaints with the sound.  In fact, one trip was over 400 miles in one day and we had no issues with the sound.  Also took a 300 mile trip with my daughter (26 yrs old) and she thought it was the best sounding Harley she's ever been around!
I initially had some backfire from the mosters with the settings for the Fuelpak on V&H's website.  I emailed their tech support and they sent me a new set of settings the next day.  I put the new settings in and voila...no more backfire!  Very pleased with my V&H setup.
Dennis
FLHTCUSE3 - 2008 105th anniversary
V&H Dresser Duals
V&H Monster Ovals
Super SERT
Big Sucker A/C
American Legend Sport Trailer
Member #4518

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »

At a HOG chapter ride yesterday another member with the 08 CVO Ultra had put a set of Cobra 4 inch slip-ons on.  The bike was dyno tuned with the race tuner and he had the dyno chart with him.  It showed 95 HP and 112 of torque.  My 07 SE Ultra with the V&H ovals and the race tuner installed was dyno tuned at 92 HP and 112 of Torque.  Both bikes have stock headers. 
Has anyone done a dyno tune using the new Monster slips ons?
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »

I had a couple dyno pulls before I sold the Monster ovals just to set up my timing maps and the HP & Torque were in the 104 range,my Indy thought they worked pretty well.
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

beeperman

• CVO1: 2008 Road King
    • CVO2: 2008 XL883L
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »

Just got my bike back today. I did change the setup though. I ended up installing the HD race pack,big sucker breather with my monster ovals and V&H true duals and had the bike put on the Dynojet to get the best tuning. Here is the results after dyno.

Before tuning  =    Tune_002.dlf  Max power = 54.90      Max Torque =  67.36
After   tuning  =    Tune_014.drf  Max Power = 73.48      Max Torque =  83.42

This is a big gain in horse power and torque. Love the look,deeper sound and its not too loud. The throttle response is crisp, now all I need is a good road test.

Ride hard - Be safe

Beeperman 

This is on a 08 Road King 96ci

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »

I have noticed lately that the left end cap on my Monsters is discoloring on the inside.  It is starting to take on a brownish tone.  I'm running an advanced map in my PowerCommander and have had it on the dyno to check air/fuel ratios in both cylinders.  Ratios are great.  In fact the tuner thought it was one of the best maps he had seen.  I know the cause of most pipe/muffler discoloration is a mis-tuned bike generally running too lean.  But it don't think that's the case here.  I have emailed V&H but not heard back yet.  I also have the V&H Dresser Duals.  Anyone else notice any discoloration on the inside of either end cap?

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »

V&H returned my email today and wanted pictures of the end cap.  I took a couple pictures and sent them off.  This evening they called and are sending me a new end cap.  Great customer service.  Actually more than I expected from V&H because in the past they have been slow in answering emails. 

Hope it was just a defective end cap.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:48 AM »

My father has just bought a new roadking which had these allready fitted.I went to dealers to have a look and they are superb make a great noise and i would say they are way better than my standard vance and nines ovals.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.