Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headlamp Housing Replacement  (Read 1801 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Headlamp Housing Replacement
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »

This is the European version of the headlight reflector that Puzzled posted information on some weeks ago.  The reflector housing on this bike was showing its age.  Since a replacement was needed anyway gave this a try. 

It is HD # 68995-01.  It comes as a complete assembly.  Bulbs, pigtail and all.  I'd already picked up some H4 Silverstars at the FLAPS so used those. 

The physical installation is simple and needs no illustration.  Literally a snap in and out affair.  Harley's headlight adjustment method on this bike is STOOPID but did force my hands to learn the feel required to get the outer fairing on and off as I lifted it on and off some several hundred times to get the light adjusted just right.

The physical appearance, however, is different.  So if anyone is contemplating doing this here is a before and after.  In admittedly poor light.  But you get the idea.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 01:41:10 AM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Headlamp Housing Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:34:23 AM »

Before:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:34:47 AM »

After:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »

The area surrounding the headlight reflectors themselves is black rather than silver with this part.  Since the outer fairing on this bike is a red that is so dark it looks nearly black in anything other than good light I actually prefer the look of this light housing.  A lighter colored bike might give a different response.

More important, however, is that the light is much better.  Granted, the comparison is again a poor housing with likely eight year old bulbs.  But the difference is significant. 

It is not as good as the HID in the SEEG.  But it is much much better than the SEEG was before it got the HID headlights installed.  Was only riding around the neighborhood between adjustments of the headlight this evening.  Will look forward to getting it on the street and highway after dark now to see how far it shoots and how well it works on the road.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »

Here it is in better light today.  Didn't know it was going to be black until it came out of the box.  Some surprises are pleasant ones.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:27:13 PM »

Here it is in better light today.  Didn't know it was going to be black until it came out of the box.  Some surprises are pleasant ones.

Haven't seen enough red ones to know for sure, but I doubt that silver deal was factory.  Sure it wasn't just some sort of aftermarket applique stuck on a stock, black housing?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

Haven't seen enough red ones to know for sure, but I doubt that silver deal was factory.  Sure it wasn't just some sort of aftermarket applique stuck on a stock, black housing?

That's it's not something over the stock piece I am sure of.  Normal texture.  HD markings on the back side.  Other markings on the front side.  Can't say that someone didn't dose whatever it might have been originally with silver spray paint.  But it really doesn't look like that either.  Behind the lamp lenses the color transition doesn't show a line where one starts and the other starts.

Don't claim to have any idea what it might supposed to have been.  This piece gives every sign of looking like it's always been this way though :nixweiss: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »

Just found two others in current or old online listings for sale.  Both with black housings around the bulb reflectors.  A difference I'd not noticed on this one until sticking the other housing in last night.  Must've been a neatly done Krylon job at some time in its life.  Now I've just got to figure out whey the European reflector adds that cute little fender tip light sized pilot light below and between the headlights. 

Domestic harness had connectors for it.  So the main harness must be for both domestic and HDI usage.  But the little bulb serves no purpose I can think of :confused5: ?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:52:51 PM »

Well, hard to believe the prior owner would have changed that piece, but hardly anything else about the bike.  At any rate, the black looks more like the way it shoulda come to my eyes.  Will have to check out the next red one I run across a little closer. :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 06:31:12 PM »

Well, hard to believe the prior owner would have changed that piece, but hardly anything else about the bike.  At any rate, the black looks more like the way it shoulda come to my eyes.  Will have to check out the next red one I run across a little closer. :nixweiss:

My thoughts too.  When I lifted it off I really doubted the fairing had ever been off the bike.  Cobwebs, a couple of really old wellnuts, VE day newspaper; all looked untouched.

The original headlight housing was a Harley part.  Scraped an edge that would be hidden when installed and found black under the silver.  So maybe it was painted for some reason.  Who knows.  But it's black now.  To my eye it looks better too.  Have to chuckle to realize I'd not even noticed that it was different than all the others.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 20 queries.