Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Stupid Red Bike--Spit Out Oil Dipstick  (Read 8055 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Stupid Red Bike--Spit Out Oil Dipstick
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:53:35 PM »

Since putting the top end back together the engine vent has just been open to atmosphere.  Had been getting just a few drops on the chrome behind between fuel stops or during runs.  Not a big deal.  Not even enough to qualify as a mess.  It was slight enough I wasn't concerned at all about just plumbing that small volume in to the back of the air cleaner and forgetting about it.  Eliminate even the small mess and never see it again.

So with leaving the for Georgia trip tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning thought, "what the hell, plumb it over now and not even have the drips to wipe down on the trip."  And once again the enemy of good is better.

Put a fitting in the a/c back plate.  Dropped a line off the nipple.  Simple.  Easy.  Done. 

Took the bike out this afternoon to go somewhere and it spit out the dipstick.  It had never done that before.  Did it as I was sitting at a redlight and I heard it.  Sounded like a kid's popgun.   

Stopped and picked up the dipstick.  Wiped off the road gravel and the inside of the neck and plugged it back in.  Hoping against likelihood that I'd just not set it in fully last time it was off.  On the way home (less than a mile) it belched it out again.  This time I didn't know where and managed to get some oil on the back tire.  That was fun.

Put the breather back like it was.  Wiped everything down.  Took it for about a 20 mile run.  No more problem.  Highway speeds, acceleration or in town.  Moving the vent to the air cleaner apparently added just enough back pressure to the crankcase vent system to give the system indigestion.  And :puke: goes the dipstick.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
Re: Stupid Red Bike--Spit Out Oil Dipstick
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »

Twolane, love the smiley even after it stops smiling.  Have had a few friends loose the dipstick just like that.  Will talk to them to see if they did the same change you did.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:15:32 PM »

Don,

I went to the newer style breathers and drilled them out to a little bigger bore on the pumpkin...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:19:09 PM »

Stupid Red Bike :nixweiss:

Easy enough to know which one if you know you but what if you don't know you and you were on what red bike :huepfenlol2:

Good to hear it is temporarily resolved for the CHL run.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:16:54 PM »

Don,

I thought I saw something that looked like the Kuryakyn bluegrass crankcase breather on your engine.  They work great, but are designed to vent to atmosphere (or vented tank if you prefer).  Maybe I am mistaken
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:53:21 PM »

Don,

I thought I saw something that looked like the Kuryakyn bluegrass crankcase breather on your engine.  They work great, but are designed to vent to atmosphere (or vented tank if you prefer).  Maybe I am mistaken

They'd been on before Pete.  One of the many things I'd tried with the old Zippered up combination that puked so much oil. 

The Kuryakyn parts are still here.  Had already decided they'll be my next option when I get home next week.  It really is only a half dozen to a dozen tiny drips/dots that are spitting out on a run right now.  Not a big deal at all.  So I just put it back like it was and will deal with it next week. 

In fact a little more running might make it better to nonexistent on its own.  Rather than then normal 1/2 qt low cold that I prefer after the rebuild and first quickie oil change I've got it only about 1/4 qt low cold.  Let it lose a little and I'd not be surprised to see the venting taper off or go away.

The bike still isn't done fighting me though.  Just got back from riding it a couple miles away to a little dive for dinner.  Pulled out of their parking lot to come home and the shift linkage broke.  The one between the forward arm and the tranny arm.  It was one of those eagle linkages that Puzzled offered.  It's beak broke.  Pulled over and put the thing in third gear by hand and came home that way.  Put the old shift linkage back on and good to go once more :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »

Don,

I went to the newer style breathers and drilled them out to a little bigger bore on the pumpkin...

I've got a couple of different breather hardware options here leftover from when I was fighting the zippered combination's terrible venting and puking Ernie.  Unless this thing surprises me I don't think it's going to be a big deal.  Not showing any signs of it anyway.  Hopefully using the simple upturning Bluegrass vents that Pete mentioned will take care of it.  Very simple and I already own the parts.  After that will have to dig a little deeper in the parts drawer.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »

Stupid Red Bike :nixweiss:

Easy enough to know which one if you know you but what if you don't know you and you were on what red bike :huepfenlol2:

Good to hear it is temporarily resolved for the CHL run.

Rog, the red bike is, well, the red bike.  It always has been.  The SERG hasn't given any clue to its name yet.  But even though it's red it's not the red bike.  The red bike is the red bike.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »

.  Pulled out of their parking lot to come home and the shift linkage broke.  The one between the forward arm and the tranny arm.  It was one of those eagle linkages that Puzzled offered.  It's beak broke.  Pulled over and put the thing in third gear by hand and came home that way.  Put the old shift linkage back on and good to go once more :2vrolijk_21: .

Is that a warrantable part?
I would think customer service would want the "Red bike" to be happy.

:nixweiss:           :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:17 PM »

Is that a warrantable part?
I would think customer service would want the "Red bike" to be happy.

:nixweiss:           :nixweiss:

Chip, without speaking for Puzzled I have no doubt he'd make the part right as it was purchased not terribly long ago.  The difficulty there would be retrieval.  I'm just not real sure how far I threw it.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

Better ride the SERG for awhile and give the SEEG a chance to get over the hissy-fit it's been throwing ever since you brought the other bike home. :nixweiss: ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 10:21:46 PM »

Better ride the SERG for awhile and give the SEEG a chance to get over the hissy-fit it's been throwing ever since you brought the other bike home. :nixweiss: ;D

She has been in a mood.  She is making the trip to Georgia though.  I'm afraid of what she'd do while I'm gone if I rode the other bike right now.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »

I've got a couple of different breather hardware options here leftover from when I was fighting the zippered combination's terrible venting and puking Ernie.  Unless this thing surprises me I don't think it's going to be a big deal.  Not showing any signs of it anyway.  Hopefully using the simple upturning Bluegrass vents that Pete mentioned will take care of it.  Very simple and I already own the parts.  After that will have to dig a little deeper in the parts drawer.

Don, when you figure out if you go w/ the blue grass thinggy or whatever breather you might drill out post a few pics. for us to check out.  Specially if do any mods on the breathers.  Let's Roll
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:55:09 PM by LETS_ROLL »
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 12:19:05 AM »

Don, when you figure out if you go w/ the blue grass thinggy or whatever breather you might drill out post a few pics. for us to check out.  Specially if do any mods on the breathers.  Let's Roll

Will do Gabe.  Will be going after simple but effective.  Whatever ends up there will let you know.  Even if it's just not filling the oil bag so full.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:30:34 AM »

Chip, without speaking for Puzzled I have no doubt he'd make the part right as it was purchased not terribly long ago.  The difficulty there would be retrieval.  I'm just not real sure how far I threw it.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 20 queries.