Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Woods belt drive cams  (Read 9600 times)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Woods belt drive cams
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »

One thing I see no one has touched on is belt life. I have spoke to Bob on this and he gave me some figures. That was some time ago though so as of today I have no idea if they are still accurate. These engines are not free spooling , meaning that like many engines that are using a cam timing belt if the belt breaks valves hit pistons.  Dont get me wrong I am not bashing the product only looking at something that would concern me. Being that I once had a timing belt break in a car and the head was junk once that was over.  I have a call into Bob and will get back to you all on belt life.

Has anyone used the spring loaded gear drive set up?? I had a customer send me a link on one but that was as far as it went.

hey man, how ya been? when i asked bobby about belt life, he said "they go 100,000 miles in a car and twist around all sorts of idlers".  that cat is straight up, he certainly dont mind tellin ya whats on his mind lol.

anyway, what about a spring loaded gear drive? you mean like a compensator? tell us about that link, curiousity is killin me.

keep the shiny side up. :2vrolijk_21:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »

I've said it before, so there's no shame in it. I'll tear a full dress bagger down to the frame and put it back together again inside of 40 hrs. I recently taught myself how to strip and rebuild a tranny, but I don't do motors, so would someone please explain this to me. How can something with belts and pulleys etc etc be simpler than a couple of gears to spin the cams ?

B B

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »

I've said it before, so there's no shame in it. I'll tear a full dress bagger down to the frame and put it back together again inside of 40 hrs. I recently taught myself how to strip and rebuild a tranny, but I don't do motors, so would someone please explain this to me. How can something with belts and pulleys etc etc be simpler than a couple of gears to spin the cams ?

B B

its gear drive on the inner side, and belt outer side. so you press the inner gears on, install the cam plate,install cover,  slip the pulleys on the rear cam and pinion then slide the belt on. simpler because there is no lash to measure or correct on the outer drive.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

Jessel has been building belt drives for race cars for many years now, They are very trick you can move the cam timing around with a few simple tools. I have not installed the woods system but Bobby is a old drag racer. Controlling cam timing have gone from gears to gears and chains to belts and now some of the new cars are electronic no cam at all . Maybe some day we will have a Harley Hover bike  LOL Jetson style :2vrolijk_21:
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »

I had a H-D Screamin Eagle engineer tell me in Daytona about 10 years ago that we'd see the valves being fired by solenoids someday. No cams, belts, gears, pushrods etc etc  nothing, nyet, nada. Just another chip in the CPU 

B B

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »

I have seen first hand a ford prototype that was just that was no cams, no valves, no starter either. Amazing really push a button and the engine fires right no and very quiet as well no valve train noise.  My Aunt works for ford in the SVT deparment / and development. Very cool stuff in there.  She has a killer svt 351 super charged stang with bremos brakes, tremece trans roll cage. Funny really to see her and then what she drives.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »

I had a H-D Screamin Eagle engineer tell me in Daytona about 10 years ago that we'd see the valves being fired by solenoids someday. No cams, belts, gears, pushrods etc etc  nothing, nyet, nada. Just another chip in the CPU 

B B

Imagine the trouble we could get into with tuning an ECU that adjust your cams!! Have different maps for milage, high performance.

As for the belt drive, it has to be better that the old style chain and tensors on the TC.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 02:47:47 PM by Talon »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.