Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Warranty....??  (Read 1069 times)

vagabond6542

Extended Warranty....??
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:39:14 AM »

Ok, I know some of us here has brought out the topic of Extended Warranty.
But have any one looked real close at the loss of money on the first 2 years?
The Extended Warranty starts on the motorcycle's in-service date.
This means that you would pay for the MoCo warranty if you bought the Extended Warranty no matter when.
In the case of a 3 year Extention, you would only get 1 year and be out of $506.00 after paying $759.00 for a 3 year Extended Warranty.  Would be nice to know if anyone else noticed this. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Extended Warranty....??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:14:24 AM »

Ok, I know some of us here has brought out the topic of Extended Warranty.
But have any one looked real close at the loss of money on the first 2 years?
The Extended Warranty starts on the motorcycle's in-service date.
This means that you would pay for the MoCo warranty if you bought the Extended Warranty no matter when.
In the case of a 3 year Extention, you would only get 1 year and be out of $506.00 after paying $759.00 for a 3 year Extended Warranty.  Would be nice to know if anyone else noticed this. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Vagabond,
That's how all extended service contract work, regardless of what it's for.  You buy an extended service contract for 3 years on your new flat panel television, and it begins the day you bought the TV, but actually doesn't go into effect until the mfgrs warranty expires.  There's really no "fine print" to that...every dealership that I've bought an extended warranty has been up front with me and explained that if you buy a 5 year contract and your base warranty is three, it essentially extends your warranty out 2 more years for a total of 5.  This is not uncommon for any extended warranty purchase. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

vagabond6542

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »

Vagabond,
That's how all extended service contract work, regardless of what it's for.  You buy an extended service contract for 3 years on your new flat panel television, and it begins the day you bought the TV, but actually doesn't go into effect until the mfgrs warranty expires.  There's really no "fine print" to that...every dealership that I've bought an extended warranty has been up front with me and explained that if you buy a 5 year contract and your base warranty is three, it essentially extends your warranty out 2 more years for a total of 5.  This is not uncommon for any extended warranty purchase. 

So you are saying in the Extended Warranty sector, you will always pay for the manufactor's warranty regardless of years the manufactor warranty covers. Do you really think this is OK. You are getting your money's worth?

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »

So you are saying in the Extended Warranty sector, you will always pay for the manufactor's warranty regardless of years the manufactor warranty covers. Do you really think this is OK. You are getting your money's worth?

All I'm saying is, that's the way the extended service contract business does business...It's up to the individual to determine whether he is getting value for the dollar.  When I buy a service contract, I know I'm paying just for the extra years, so I tend not to worry about it and don't feel that I'm paying for the mfgrs warranty.  I get that whether I buy the extended or not.  When you buy the three year, you're paying $750 for that extra year, when I bought the 7 year, I paid $1800 for the 5 extra years, not the first two, but it gives me a total of 7 years of coverage.  Only difference beings I get wheel/tire road hazzard coverage from day one, which is not included in the factory warranty, and after two years, my warranty repairs now cost me $50/incident, vice no charge.  I don't feel I'm paying for the first two years of the factory warranty.  You don't have to buy the extended service contract when you first buy the bike, you have up until the 729th day of your factory warranty to purchase an extended service contract or not.  I bought mine when I bought the bike cuz I just had it thrown into the price of the bike.  That's just my perspective on extended service contracts...

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:11:32 AM »

If you buy the 7 year extended, shop around for the best price.  If you get the 7 year for 1300, the 5 extra years are costing you approx 250 bucks per year, which is fairly cost effective.  The shorter the warranty, the more it costs per year.  You actually have coverage during the first two years with regards to the things your standard warranty will not cover, like hotel/motel costs, etc while your bike is being worked on (in an out of town situation).

Also, if you ever sell the bike, the extended warranty is transferable to the new owner for a transfer fee of about 25 bucks, OR you can get a prorated refund on the unused portion.

Or you can keep your money and buy a pair of cylinders and then start collecting other parts for your future motor rebuild on the 110, after the initial 2 year MOCO warranty runs out.  Add another 4-6 K to the 1300 you'd pay for the extended warranty and you'll be close to having enough for a new, aftermarket parts engine.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.