Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Dancing Road Glide  (Read 20316 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Dancing Road Glide
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »

That'd be my strong preference too Brian.  Rather have the bigger shaft when using it only requires such a small effort.  Only taking .125" out and there's plenty of meat there.  Do it in steps to the .750" shaft size then hone for clearance.  Nothing tricky there at all.  And the wheel is just swapping the guts.  Hell, even mental deficients like us could do this :2vrolijk_21: .

Just hang on to the drill...  I have seen guys get carried away and break a wrist by letting the drill get away from them when drilling holes this large.  When only drilling out this small amount, it is easy for the drill bit to "catch".  go sloooow and eaaaasy....and you will be fine...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2008, 09:16:25 AM »

As I've posted earlier, the black V-rod has some of that rear wheel dancing going on too. I put it on the rack yesterday and jacked the rear wheel up enough to clear the ground. Grabbed the wheel, and I'm getting movement in the right side of the swing arm. the shaft that runs through doesn't move, so it appears it's tight. The swingarm is moving around the shaft. It's not much, it's slight. but it definately is there. What is in there? Bearings? bushings? Whatever it is, there's slop in it. It's under warranty so I'll let the dealer fix it. I'm just curious though.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

RobertinArgyle

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »

Hey Twolane-  I have thought about doing this conversion on my bike.  However, it appears that you can't use the stock SERG wheel with the new swingarm.  Is there a way to machine the stock wheel to accept the larger bearings and spacer?  Do they make the same wheel for the larger axle?  Otherwise we will need a new set of wheels...

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »

Spidey,

Thanks. So it looks like all I need from here are 1" bearings and spacers for the wheel, a 1" axle, the newer swing arm pivot bolt and nut, and the bushings that come with that. I guess OEM is okay, unless I REALLY want the Sta-Bo Delrins. And if I can drill the tranny out, I guess I can drill the caliper out too. But I get to save some money and keep the rear wheel.

Did I get all of that right?

Mark

Mark and Don,
                   You may recall a post awhile back from someone selling a set of Sta-Bo bushings they had installed and removed due to the increased vibration they experienced because of the stiffness of the Sta-Bo. I suspect that these bushings are intended as a performance product and the issue of rider comfort is not paramount to their design, HOWEVER, I have no first hand knowledge to share on this issue, only suggesting you do a bit of homework before spending the money.

B B

vagabond6542

« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »

By George, I think he's got it!

How did I get pulled into this? :confused5: :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »

Hey Twolane-  I have thought about doing this conversion on my bike.  However, it appears that you can't use the stock SERG wheel with the new swingarm.  Is there a way to machine the stock wheel to accept the larger bearings and spacer?  Do they make the same wheel for the larger axle?  Otherwise we will need a new set of wheels...

Change the bearing set within the wheel.  ID of the wheel is the same.  OD of the bearings are the same.  Difference is the ID of the bearings where the axle goes through.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »

Just hang on to the drill...  I have seen guys get carried away and break a wrist by letting the drill get away from them when drilling holes this large.  When only drilling out this small amount, it is easy for the drill bit to "catch".  go sloooow and eaaaasy....and you will be fine...

Definitely.  And taking out .125" is not a small amount of material.  Was mentioned above to do it in steps.  Please no one just grab a 3/4 bit and start drilling.  You'll pull out big filings and potentially make a muck of things.  Think of this as machine work, not just drilling a hole.  Small and smooth a little bit at a time.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »

Mark and Don,
                   You may recall a post awhile back from someone selling a set of Sta-Bo bushings they had installed and removed due to the increased vibration they experienced because of the stiffness of the Sta-Bo. I suspect that these bushings are intended as a performance product and the issue of rider comfort is not paramount to their design, HOWEVER, I have no first hand knowledge to share on this issue, only suggesting you do a bit of homework before spending the money.

B B

The reviews on those have been mixed Brian.  I bought the set for the post-02 type (which is what you'd need after this conversion was done) from someone who didn't like them.  They were offered up for $35 so I figured "what the hell" and gave them a try.

No vibration issues on the red bike and did stiffen things up a bit. I liked the difference.  Others have not though.  Their new price makes them a bit iffy for a crap shoot.  Have to admit their version III product to do the conversion being discussed here would have to look very interesting to anyone not trusting enough to take a drill to their transmission case.

vagabond6542

« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »

The reviews on those have been mixed Brian.  I bought the set for the post-02 type (which is what you'd need after this conversion was done) from someone who didn't like them.  They were offered up for $35 so I figured "what the hell" and gave them a try.

No vibration issues on the red bike and did stiffen things up a bit. I liked the difference.  Others have not though.  Their new price makes them a bit iffy for a crap shoot.  Have to admit their version III product to do the conversion being discussed here would have to look very interesting to anyone not trusting enough to take a drill to their transmission case.

Enlighten me about the drilling of the transmission case. The why. :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2008, 02:24:30 PM »

Enlighten me about the drilling of the transmission case. The why. :nixweiss:

It's the one significant difference.  The "older" rear fork (swingarm) hung on a .625" rear fork rod.  That rod goes through the long "hole" in the rear of the transmission.  The "newer" heavier swingarm is made to hang on a .750" shaft. That difference between 5/8" and 3/4" shaft size has to be accounted for where the larger shaft will slide through the rear of the transmission case.

Editing this post to hijack one of Chuck's pictures mentioned a few posts after this to offer illustration:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 03:25:19 PM by Twolanerider »

vagabond6542

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

It's the one significant difference.  The "older" rear fork (swingarm) hung on a .625" rear fork rod.  That rod goes through the long "hole" in the rear of the transmission.  The "newer" heavier swingarm is made to hang on a .750" shaft. That difference between 5/8" and 3/4" shaft size has to be accounted for where the larger shaft will slide through the rear of the transmission case.

Now I understand, didn't know that the back of the trans case was part of the swingarm make up.
Thanks. :2vrolijk_21:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

would be a good excuse to put in a complete 02-06 6 speed case
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2008, 02:45:15 PM »

Now I understand, didn't know that the back of the trans case was part of the swingarm make up.

Not only that, the whole thing "floats" in two rubber donuts that fit into the steel clevis blocks that bolt to the frame. It is this "float" that causes rear steer which is what the True-Track (and various imitators) is all about.

B B

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2008, 02:46:35 PM »

would be a good excuse to put in a complete 02-06 6 speed case

Just so happens I have a 6 speed gear set.
Good idea!
I love spending site members money!

:2vrolijk_21:
have a bunch of other stuff he might need but got to wean him one item at a time

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2008, 02:48:50 PM »

George,

Have a look at this thread. It has pictures too.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=20764.0

:indian_chief:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.