Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: California Emissions & Me  (Read 6113 times)

EagleEase

California Emissions & Me
« on: May 04, 2005, 01:26:36 AM »

I bought a new FLHTCSE2 from another state and will pick it up in another week and ride it back to California - at least that was the plan.  Only now am I learning more about the California emissions laws.  I'm beginning to freak-out.  I need your help to figure out how to resolve this dilemma.  Any suggestions are welcome, please be specific.  I should be celebrating but, I'm not.

EagleDisEase

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: California Emissions & Me
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 10:03:03 AM »

not sure what parts are different between the 49 state version and the cali version but a local dealer should be able to help you make it into a cali version
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 11:24:59 AM »

I bought a new FLHTCSE2 from another state and will pick it up in another week and ride it back to California - at least that was the plan.  Only now am I learning more about the California emissions laws.  I'm beginning to freak-out.  I need your help to figure out how to resolve this dilemma.  Any suggestions are welcome, please be specific.  I should be celebrating but, I'm not.

EagleDisEase

Are you able to temporarly register it in that state?  If so, I think you only have to put 5,000 miles on it before you can transfer the title to Calif.  You can put the miles on here, but the title has to be regisitered in another state for that 5,000 miles.

Hope that helps.  You can't buy a "new" bike and bring it to Calif. immediatly and register it here.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news......but I've saw some awfully creative guys out there, when it comes to this kind of thing.  In another year or two, it will not matter cause we'll all be riding the same bike (EPA wise, anyway).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:48:08 PM »

Eagle,
My dad lives in Ramona and had the same problem.  Solved it when he came up to visit, got a lic at the local DMV using my address and registered the bike here in Oregon for $13.00 for the year...   He put his 5k on the bike and then reg'd it down there.  Worked like a champ.  PM me... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »

Ok everyone,  please bear with me as this is my first ever post.  Anyway, I am a Harley-Davidson dealer in Calif.  You probably have a dilemma, but maybe not.  No california resident can buy an out-of-state harley and bring it into California if it has less than 7500 miles on it, new or used.  So anybody buying a used harley, please beware as well.  If you live out of the state and move to calif. you can bring your 49 state bike with you.  Many people do have dual residences and register them in Oregon, or some other state.  Oregon is popular because of sales tax and registration.  Technically this is frowned on by the state, but if you're not caught...  There might be an exception on the SEEG.  I say that because it already has a hi-flow kit installed and the bike, due to it's low numbers, may be treated differently, but I don't believe so.  Right now every California bike has a different digit in the vin to designate it from the 49 state same model.  This is then supposed to be caught by the dmv at time of registration.  I do know some people have slipped thru dmv; however, if discovered at a later date you will be forced to sell the bike out-of-state, period.  Without me researching the SEEG more, which I can do, I can't say for sure.  Best thing is to get the dealer to call harley, have them call their S.P.O.C. motorcycle rep. (single point of contact) and question if the bike is 50 state compliant.  If your dealer doesn't want to do this, pm me and I can make the call.  Good Luck!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 11:04:43 PM »

Ok everyone,  please bear with me as this is my first ever post.  Anyway, I am a Harley-Davidson dealer in Calif.  You probably have a dilemma, but maybe not.  No california resident can buy an out-of-state harley and bring it into California if it has less than 7500 miles on it, new or used.  So anybody buying a used harley, please beware as well.  If you live out of the state and move to calif. you can bring your 49 state bike with you.  Many people do have dual residences and register them in Oregon, or some other state.  Oregon is popular because of sales tax and registration.  Technically this is frowned on by the state, but if you're not caught...  There might be an exception on the SEEG.  I say that because it already has a hi-flow kit installed and the bike, due to it's low numbers, may be treated differently, but I don't believe so.  Right now every California bike has a different digit in the vin to designate it from the 49 state same model.  This is then supposed to be caught by the dmv at time of registration.  I do know some people have slipped thru dmv; however, if discovered at a later date you will be forced to sell the bike out-of-state, period.  Without me researching the SEEG more, which I can do, I can't say for sure.  Best thing is to get the dealer to call harley, have them call their S.P.O.C. motorcycle rep. (single point of contact) and question if the bike is 50 state compliant.  If your dealer doesn't want to do this, pm me and I can make the call.  Good Luck!

Harley 56 welcome to the board.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]    For your first post, you stepped out there on the edge and I appreciate that. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

We have several people from HD Dealerships on this site (and a few from HD).  I think we have everything from GMs to Salesman (right here in Sac) to several techs.  Which dealership are you with?

Again, welcome to the site.......there's a lot of good, factual information here on the CVOs and in particular, the SEEG.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

EagleEase

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 01:04:11 AM »

Guys,

Thank you all for your posts, I appreciate it.  Keep 'em coming.

A few days ago I heard from the CA Air Resources Board that unless I purchase the bike (with over 7500 miles at the time of purchase) then there was no way I could register, own or even keep the bike in CA, even if I racked up 7,500 miles out-of-state.  Then, I thought of changing my residency to the state of purchase (using my friend’s address) and registering it there, but then I read the CA DMV smog reg. and I don't think I would be able to do that.  Next, I thought my niece could become the legal owner (and I the registered owner) and I could still register it out-of-state and ride it in CA for 7,500 miles, but I'm not to certain about that approach (or vice-versa).  I'm afraid that if I try one thing and it doesn't work as planned, then I won’t be able to try another approach and that I'll be forced to sell it.  I’m also not certain that I can get emission certified by adding a catalytic converter, charcoal canister crap catcher and having the DMV certify it that way - but a dealer is writing a quote for me and he’ll have it in the morning - whether it is emission acceptable or not.

One thing is certain - I'm going there, take receipt of the bike, do what I need to do, and ride it over 2,000 miles to bring it home (two oil changes and 1,000 mile service along the way)!  It’s a hassle but worth it for the SEEG.  I’m trying to prevent my dream bike and dream ride from becoming a total nightmare.

EagleEase (hopefully someday soon with your help)  Thanks

tntdse

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 01:54:48 AM »

I'm doing the same thing only I live in CA and have an office in LV, Nevada so I'm registering it in Nevada. Maybe I should register it in my company name so when I bring it to CA I can sell it to myself with the 7500 on it and everything will be ok. I'm glad I saw this post tonight. Thanks!

tntdse

EagleEase

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 02:10:09 AM »

Harley 56,

I’m not certain how to get a PM to you (maybe naitram or JCZ can clue me in).  I am very interested in your offer to make a call and find out more info on the bike.  The VIN’s 6th position is “1” and that means “regular”.  Had it been a “3” it would mean “California”.  That leads me to believe that it is a 49-state bike.  I know nothing about the hi-flow kit; but, I know everything about limited production which made me stray across the border that landed me in this mess in the first place.

EagleEase (still uneasy and ready to buy my one-way ticket to see my SEEG)

EagleEase

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 02:13:51 AM »

tntdse,

It sounds like you got a "good thing going".  I would feel safe with that senario.  See you somewhere down the road.

EagleEase

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 09:08:02 AM »

Harley 56,

I’m not certain how to get a PM to you (maybe naitram or JCZ can clue me in).  I am very interested in your offer to make a call and find out more info on the bike.  The VIN’s 6th position is “1” and that means “regular”.  Had it been a “3” it would mean “California”.  That leads me to believe that it is a 49-state bike.  I know nothing about the hi-flow kit; but, I know everything about limited production which made me stray across the border that landed me in this mess in the first place.

EagleEase (still uneasy and ready to buy my one-way ticket to see my SEEG)

below his username to the left of his post there are some small icons put your mouse over each one until you see the one to send a message
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 02:50:43 PM »

Hey Eagle!  There is an unclaimed Yellow SEEG2 coming in to my dealership here in Eugene that is available for MSRP...   You could buy it, (it's closer to home), and I'm sure we could find someone that would willingly ride it for 7500 miles and then sell it to ya.  (Or I could just adopt ya and let ya register it here...)  

The whole thing smells to high heaven.  I would of thought the Arnie would have fixed this emmissions crap by now...  Sorry about the laws you live with... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 01:52:34 AM »

JCZ, thanks for the welcome.  I'm from Livermore -  Also know a bunch of the guys in the Sac. area.  
EagleEase perhaps you have seen my pm to you, but here it is again.  First I made one bad, SEEG does not have hi-flow as standard, I was looking at a CVO FLSTFE on our floor and that had the hi-flow on it.  Your getting very educated on this, probably more than you care too.  I talked to Milwaukee today and confirmed that the Calif. bike is different and you have discovered the difference in the vin, so, as you now know, you cannot bring it into the state as first time owner with less than 7500 miles.  Your idea of buying all the parts that make it calif. compliant is great, but will not work.  CARB has not certified any facility, dealer, or otherwise, to convert  a Harley to calif. specs.  Thus, all the parts may be right, but they don't care.  Nobody can get the certification except the FACTORY.  Any other ideas you come up with, I wish you well.  As you now recognize it needs to have an out-of-state registration and then roll up 7500 miles before california will title it here.  You have a couple of ideas and you are right, you don't want to mess up, because my guess is, as you said, if your approach is not successful you probably only get one chance.  Wish I had something for you.

EagleEase

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2005, 10:40:15 PM »

I hate to be selfish by keeping this thread going, but it may mean the difference of one more or one less rider on the road.  The CA emissions are currently a problem for me, but I see the laws changing for everyone in '06.  

So, if anyone would like to comment on the new rules and how they'll affect us all, or, if you want to brainstorm with me and throw out some more ideas/solutions for the jam that I am in, then please, I encourage your input.

Many thanks,

EagleEase

P.S.  Where are the centralized areas where SE owners have uploaded personal pics of their bikes.  I'm looking for the 2005 SEEG Cherry model first, but I'd like to see all of the personal pics of your bikes, all colors, all touring.  Thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2005, 11:50:37 PM »

P.S.  Where are the centralized areas where SE owners have uploaded personal pics of their bikes.  I'm looking for the 2005 SEEG Cherry model first, but I'd like to see all of the personal pics of your bikes, all colors, all touring.  Thanks

Check out the gallery the button is at the top of the page. There are some in there...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.