Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even the dealer is admitting problems  (Read 1330 times)

bigmuff

Even the dealer is admitting problems
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »

Stopped into the dealer to pick up some parts and chatted with them about the 110 problems and almost fell over when they admitted they've seen a few blown head gaskets.  Salesman said the last SERK they sold the head gasket blew with only 1000 miles on it.

Oddly, they said that all the 110's that they have built have had no problems, just the ones coming from the factory.  Strange.

Also interesting is that they confessed that V-Rod sales are really flat.  The bikes purportedly just don't sell.  The prices on them are really low now.  I actually think it's a really nice bike for the money but admittedly it isn't my style.

I told them I'd buy a bagger with a Revo engine but they said the consensus at the MoCo is that the majority of customers want "the sound" so I doubt you'll be seeing this anytime soon.  Instead lean-burning, overheating, single-pin, air-cooled monstrosities.

I dunno, maybe half the reason we want "the sound" is to cover up all the clicking and tapping and knocking.  :D

Anyways, got some American Wire 80-spoke wheels and floating rotors for my RKC.

hogasm

Re: Even the dealer is admitting problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:37:52 AM »

Need to see some pics of that scoot with the new wheels when you are done...

I had the opportunity to be called into the SM's office when the tech rep from the MOCO came to visit. They know of the problems with the 110's.......they know all too well........liners, crank run out..............but there are problems with the 110's that are built.......they haven't had many problems with the 113's that they built.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »

My neighbor's dealer-built 110 Road Glide had the rear cylinder puking oil at about 8000 miles.  Perhaps the dealer there didn't want to admit their work failed too?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:03:05 AM »

If the failures are due to poorly designed components, as it appears to be, it won't matter who built it. Now if the builder takes steps to eliminate the known issues when reassembling it, you'll have a better chance of the field built motor being OK. But if liners are shifting, I don't care who builds it, YOU GOT A LEAKER!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:23:42 AM »

If the failures are due to poorly designed components, as it appears to be, it won't matter who built it. Now if the builder takes steps to eliminate the known issues when reassembling it, you'll have a better chance of the field built motor being OK. But if liners are shifting, I don't care who builds it, YOU GOT A LEAKER!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Hey, I resemble that remark   :bananarock:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »

Hey, I resemble that remark   :bananarock:

Most of us do (or did, anyway!) GH! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Deacon

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »

It ain't just the factory built 110's that have an issue. I had the dealer install a 110 kit on my 2007 SG in june '07 with only 1100 miles on the motor. About 900 miles later both cylinders were leaking at the bottom. Dealer repaired it and now it's leaking again. No wonder Harley has decided to ditch the 110 motor. We hold the leaking bag.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.