Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72

Author Topic: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.  (Read 65396 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2008, 06:49:18 AM »

Oil under the ground all over the place in the USA - but thanks to DC it cannot be drilled.  Then just for the fun of it, try to build a refinery - notachanceinhellofthat.  A diversion of energy effort so build a nuke plant?  Huh-uh, no way.  That just ain't PC you see.

We are bearing the fruits of the most misguided energy policies, spotlight on ETHANOL & the boondoggles it provides, so we now PAY for it.  And we will continue to pay for it until the scale tips towards reason.

BTW - "reducing oil consumption" is not reason, it's called insanity. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2008, 07:05:00 AM »

Gas Price here in the ALOHA state is over $4.00 a gallon for premium as of this week.

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »

Oil under the ground all over the place in the USA - but thanks to DC it cannot be drilled.  Then just for the fun of it, try to build a refinery - notachanceinhellofthat.  A diversion of energy effort so build a nuke plant?  Huh-uh, no way.  That just ain't PC you see.

We are bearing the fruits of the most misguided energy policies, spotlight on ETHANOL & the boondoggles it provides, so we now PAY for it.  And we will continue to pay for it until the scale tips towards reason.

BTW - "reducing oil consumption" is not reason, it's called insanity. 

In past "spikes", reduced demand in the States quickly led to price reductions both at the pump and at the well head.  This time we have another factor that hasn't been seen before, and that is the huge increase in demand from two of the largest populations in the world, China and India.  So this time we really don't have enough influence over total demand to just say "everyone conserve, trade in your gas guzzler SUV's for a tiny puddle jumper (at a huge loss), carpool or take mass transit, and everything will be all better".  As you noted, we as a country pissed away our best opportunities back when we actually had some leverage.  Now, the producers and the speculators are in the driver's seat and we are just along for the ride.

A real national energy policy would be nice, but even discounting my tendency toward skepticism I believe there will be snowball fights in Hades before the self absorbed citizens and their special interest suck-up government representatives see the light.  Due to the "not in my back yard" syndrome, we can't get new refineries approved so now we not only have to import oil but we also import refined products.  Due to "ignorant of the facts but quick to take the money" government representatives, we piss away billions of taxpayer dollars on subsidies that effectively divert grain from food production, causing huge distortions in both food and energy markets.  And we wrote off one of the best energy solutions available to us decades ago when we stopped building nuclear power plants because we weren't smart enough to standardize the construction, staffing, and safety procedures.  Scare mongering by the media, along with some boneheaded mistakes by the companies and people operating some of the plants, killed an industry in this country that is working just fine in places like France.

Don't worry, though, our illustrious Congress will jump in sometime in October to provide help.  We already have a presidential candidate espousing a gas tax moratorium and a windfall profits tax on oil companies, and I'm certain that there will be many more brilliant ideas offered up as the campaigns for reelection to Congressional seats get cranked up.  Of course, by that time many people won't be able to afford to drive or to eat, but what the hey.  As long as we can still get credit and print money, our leaders will do just fine.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

vagabond6542

« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2008, 11:28:12 AM »

Hey, has anyone been watching CNN.  Gas prices have gotten so bad, that people are stealing gas from one another.
Gas tanks on cars and trucks are being emtied over night by thieves to fill their tanks. We are getting into a sad state of affairs. :nervous:

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »

Keep Voting Democratic It's real good for YA !  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »

Hey, has anyone been watching CNN.  Gas prices have gotten so bad, that people are stealing gas from one another.
Gas tanks on cars and trucks are being emtied over night by thieves to fill their tanks. We are getting into a sad state of affairs. :nervous:

Those same folks who got rich selling locking gas caps back in the 70's can now let their kids and grandkids get rich selling them again.  Of course, it didn't really help back then, since thieves quickly adapted and went to the ice pick & bucket method. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »

The gang-bangers around here are not even messing w/ stealing your gas......just increased armed robberies of your cash/jewelry ...... oh, and a shut down of power to entire neighborhoods as thieves are stealing power lines due to the high cost of copper.  Power lines that were 'hot'.  :'( wow!  Can you say:  experienced thief?  :o  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »

In past "spikes", reduced demand in the States quickly led to price reductions both at the pump and at the well head.  This time we have another factor that hasn't been seen before, and that is the huge increase in demand from two of the largest populations in the world, China and India.  So this time we really don't have enough influence over total demand to just say "everyone conserve, trade in your gas guzzler SUV's for a tiny puddle jumper (at a huge loss), carpool or take mass transit, and everything will be all better".  As you noted, we as a country pissed away our best opportunities back when we actually had some leverage.  Now, the producers and the speculators are in the driver's seat and we are just along for the ride.

A real national energy policy would be nice, but even discounting my tendency toward skepticism I believe there will be snowball fights in Hades before the self absorbed citizens and their special interest suck-up government representatives see the light.  Due to the "not in my back yard" syndrome, we can't get new refineries approved so now we not only have to import oil but we also import refined products.  Due to "ignorant of the facts but quick to take the money" government representatives, we piss away billions of taxpayer dollars on subsidies that effectively divert grain from food production, causing huge distortions in both food and energy markets.  And we wrote off one of the best energy solutions available to us decades ago when we stopped building nuclear power plants because we weren't smart enough to standardize the construction, staffing, and safety procedures.  Scare mongering by the media, along with some boneheaded mistakes by the companies and people operating some of the plants, killed an industry in this country that is working just fine in places like France.

Don't worry, though, our illustrious Congress will jump in sometime in October to provide help.  We already have a presidential candidate espousing a gas tax moratorium and a windfall profits tax on oil companies, and I'm certain that there will be many more brilliant ideas offered up as the campaigns for reelection to Congressional seats get cranked up.  Of course, by that time many people won't be able to afford to drive or to eat, but what the hey.  As long as we can still get credit and print money, our leaders will do just fine.

Jerry

Jerry - surely the people in positions of economic and political power are working with our best interests at heart!!

:-\

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2008, 07:40:17 PM »

Jerry - surely the people in positions of economic and political power are working with our best interests at heart!!

:-\

Nige

Nige,

I think we can safely assume that our political leaders have every bit as much interest in our happiness and well being as Harley-Davidson does. 

Jerry

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2008, 08:08:27 PM »

Absofreakinlutly,
   Let's subsidize more farmers to not grow...........not invest in large scale solar........wind and sea power and let Exxon keep rolling in record profits. I do remember the "fuel shortage" of the 70's, odd/even gas lines.  Funny though, gas at $0.79 a gallon WAS scarce,  but as soon as it went to $1/gal, you could get all you wanted.  I agree that today's situation is different, but the problem is the same.  Furthermore, nothing (under either control Democrate or Republican) has done anything to help make a bit of progress to improve the situation.  Just my $.02

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »

I don't know what everyone problem is! I switched to corn. I have my own corn field in the front, back and both sides of the yard.  I am about to tear out the cement drive way to grow more corn. I have the family sleeping in a tent to cut utility costs. You need to try it, its the new thing.  :2vrolijk_21:
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2008, 08:38:48 PM »

As long as there is money to be made - Fuel will be there for the getting @.79 the price was fixed by the dummy crats therfore there was no fuel to be had.

Keep voting Democratic it's good for ya!  quote "Jimmy Carter"

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2008, 10:54:41 PM »

Man, just think with all that corn you could distill some mash and what wont burn will remove all cares about gas prices. ;)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »

Gas in California is at or above the $4 mark for Premium. AND, I get 37mpg if I'm not into the throttle all the time (when is that ???) Anyway, while in Arizona attending the SPECTACULAR Western CVO Rally at Sedona, I had multiple fillups of Arizona premium which cost about $3.50 on average AND (drum roll please) netted me 42mpg. Now who would like to explain the mileage difference? AND, while I'm at it, my thought has always been that Tennessee gas produced the best mileage. Anyone want to post what they get from state to state ?

B B

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »

We knew we were home at the first gas stop back in Oregon $4.12 for prem. as we were pulling back on to the freeway it went up .09 cents with diesel going up 20 cents. WOW  :nervous:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 72

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 21 queries.