Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72

Author Topic: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.  (Read 65371 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.
« Reply #495 on: June 14, 2008, 08:52:41 PM »

.........and it doesn't stop at the pump. The disposable income is eaten further by the correlating increase in consumables as well  :coolblue:
You mean like, garden hoses, Howie?  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #496 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:10 PM »

You mean like, garden hoses, Howie?  har!  spyder
zactly spyder, zactly  :huepfenlol2: :drink:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #497 on: June 14, 2008, 09:00:32 PM »

.........and it doesn't stop at the pump. The disposable income is eaten further by the correlating increase in consumables as well  :coolblue:

My problem is I can't increase the price of a game of pool much more than a dollar a game.

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #498 on: June 15, 2008, 04:45:46 AM »

I've actually been thinking about and talking about this all afternoon. The main problem we are having right now it not so much the increase, although it hurts, it is the dramatic percentage increase in such a short time. The cost of fuel has gone up about 35% in the last six months. Unfortunately most American incomes have not seen a corresponding increase. As a result a greater % of disposable income is being spent on fuel rather than staples of even modest luxury items.  Nige, think if you fuel was to increase from 9.75/gal to 13/gal in 6 months.

I don't need to think - it's gone up by about 35/40% in the last 6 months also.

In your green back terms I was paying about $7.00 a US gallon around 6 months ago now it is about $9.76 a US Gallon.

:'(

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Sean M Cary

« Reply #499 on: June 15, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »

My problem is I can't increase the price of a game of pool much more than a dollar a game.

Basic principle of economics - elastic vs inelastic demand.  Things you need, you can jack up the price on, things you don't "need" you can't.

Nobody needs to play pool, so you cannot raise the price much  >:( - but folks need gas. 

Sean

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #500 on: June 15, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »

AJ
      Since everyone pumps quarters into the machine, what's another quarter mean ? If you own all the tables in a given area, people don't have any choice. I'd say consolidate your market sector so you can control your destiny. Sell some tables that are off in locations by themselves and try to buy ones you compete with.

As usual, I have an opinion on everything.  :)

B B

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #501 on: June 16, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »

If we agree (and it's doubtful that we ALL agree) that energy is currently a CONSUMPTION problem (worldwide demand skyrocketing).  Consumption up (demand) = price increases.  So some politicians propose conservation (use less energy) & energy alternatives that may or may not be viable.  That ignores a basic fact - we can produce more energy, including petroleum, but we have CHOSEN not to.

Why has the US chosen not to produce more petroleum? Not much drilling as well as restricted refining capacities?  That's a good rant, have no time for it now, and besides usually it generates the yadda yadda we are gonna destroy the damn planet with greenhouse gasses and other semi-funny religiously inspired follies from uber religious eco-naughtsnuts.  Producing more oil does NOT solve the problem, but it DECREASES the trade deficit and keeps more dollars at home instead of building CASTLES IN THE SAND abroad (just heard the Hendrix tune so it's on my mind).  Plus, we get more oil which is at a minimum a PARTIAL solution.

So until I get a reasonable answer on the no drilling religious mantra, I remain convinced the Repubs as well as Dems benefit from the current situation as much as the oil companies do.  Besides, I just got my electric bill (electricity here generated by natural gas - 100%).  Looking into do-it-yourself nuclear reactors but wonder about the zoning on those here......  :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »

Saw a news item the other day blaming a lot of the recent increase to commodities trading.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #503 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:25 PM »

Saw a news item the other day blaming a lot of the recent increase to commodities trading.

Speculators are in it for a buck, no doubt.  But they see consumption increases with OPEC (so far) keeping supplies low in relation to said demand, & they smell blood in the water. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

That is what I have been saying all along its not the oil companies it's the traders that are driving prices up. They are in a frenzy and the oil companies are reeping the benifits!! AND US WE ARE FEELING THE PAIN!!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

vagabond6542

« Reply #505 on: June 16, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

That is what I have been saying all along its not the oil companies it's the traders that are driving prices up. They are in a frenzy and the oil companies are reeping the benifits!! AND US WE ARE FEELING THE PAIN!!!

That OK, it won't last very long, we will all feel the pain of a DEPRESSION when the bubble burst. Just get ready to dig a deep hole to hide in. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #506 on: June 16, 2008, 06:15:10 PM »

That OK, it won't last very long, we will all feel the pain of a DEPRESSION when the bubble burst. Just get ready to dig a deep hole to hide in. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:
The Motor Company's new ad campaign says that they're not gonna participate in the recession/DEPRESSION/bad times.   :nixweiss: :-\ :confused5:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

vagabond6542

« Reply #507 on: June 16, 2008, 06:33:45 PM »

The Motor Company's new ad campaign says that they're not gonna participate in the recession/DEPRESSION/bad times.   :nixweiss: :-\ :confused5:  spyder

Har...Har.. :huepfenlol2:

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #508 on: June 17, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »

Don't forget, everyone, that roughly 1/3 of the price increase in fuel in 2008 is caused by the drop in value of the dollar internationally.  If the value of the dollar is restored, we'll see prices (per barrel) drop.  We can only hope this translates to lower pump prices.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2008, 09:45:32 PM »

Just got off the phone with a good friend from Maine who cancelled a long planned trip to Alaska this summer  NOT because of the current price of gas for his motorhome, but because at $4.50 /gallon for home heating oil he's looking at $7,500 to heat his house next winter. I hadn't thought of this, but at the rate prices are rising we're going to be reading about people in the cold weather states freezing to death come this winter.

B B
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 72

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.