Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72

Author Topic: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.  (Read 65472 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Gas price!!!!!!!! OUCH.
« Reply #630 on: June 23, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »

I knew it was too good to be true!
(they don't tell you how old the virgins are, maybe their all over 80 or something.  Or like you said one letter different changes my whole perspective).   :confused5:

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #631 on: June 23, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »

What does a litre cost you guys (diesel) oil by the barrel :pepper: how much oil is in a barrel ??
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #632 on: June 23, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »

42 us gallons per barrel, almost $5 USD per us gallon.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #633 on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

42 us gallons per barrel, almost $5 USD per us gallon.

And yet they package it in 55 gallon "drums"

And a barrel of beer is ?????

I know this 42 gallon number is correct because I sailed on an oil tanker in the Merchant Marines in my younger days, but I've always wondered where it comes from. Were the wooden barrels of yore 42 gallons ?

B B

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #634 on: June 23, 2008, 02:27:44 PM »

I don't know BB....is a gallon of oil "bigger" than a gallon of water, it sure is lighter...

A barrel of beer is never big enough....

I measure my facilties energy input in mmBtu's just to make it easier,  :D
A barrel, 42gal, of good old bunker C oil has around 6 million btu's, or 145,000 a gal or 18700 a lb..Sheesh.

On the other hand, A thousand cu feet of natural gas has around 1 million btu's...fascinating huh?    ???

I can't remember what tha black liquor at the paper mills had for calorific value, but they burned the crud outta it....we are not using any energy today, offline..  :nervous:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #635 on: June 23, 2008, 03:44:06 PM »

When the environmentalists crippled oil corporation's abilities to explore, drill, and refine oil, starting in the 70's in the USA, the result now is:

$4+ a gallon for regular gasoline.  They also prevented nuke plants, at the same time.

Success of such folks also greatly reduced oil spills and potential oil spills & nuke plant meltdowns.  So now, we cannot drill or build nuke plants, why?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #636 on: June 23, 2008, 03:58:30 PM »

When the environmentalists crippled oil corporation's abilities to explore, drill, and refine oil, starting in the 70's in the USA, the result now is:

$4+ a gallon for regular gasoline.  They also prevented nuke plants, at the same time.

Success of such folks also greatly reduced oil spills and potential oil spills & nuke plant meltdowns.  So now, we cannot drill or build nuke plants, why?

Well I guess you can blame them if you want, but congress taking money from oil companies, car companies not having to push up there MPG, and Americans just sitting back complaining while they drive their 12-15 MPG SUV's and trucks that over half of them have no need in the first place is a big problem. We need to work our way to a low oil dependency, which we should have been doing for over 20 years, until we do were stuck!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2008, 04:09:55 PM »

Well I guess you can blame them if you want, but congress taking money from oil companies, car companies not having to push up there MPG, and Americans just sitting back complaining while they drive their 12-15 MPG SUV's and trucks that over half of them have no need in the first place is a big problem. We need to work our way to a low oil dependency, which we should have been doing for over 20 years, until we do were stuck!

The real blame lies with US, the voters, for voting bozos into power in Congress who have done little to nothing about the energy situation for over 30 years.  Increasing gas mileage on cars is great & all but we will NOT conserve our way out of this any more than we can conserve our way out of a severe water drought.  And domestically, we CREATED a severe drought re: oil resources. Conservation, sure, no problemo, but that alone cannot solve the problem.  Increase mileage standards - fine, but think about SUPPLY also is my point.

Nobody ever posts much about the LOST jobs we have given up in the oil industry.  Lost to other countries, along with multi-billion trade dollars.  Jobs & infrastructure that could have been created in the USA. Good paying jobs & reduction in national trade deficit.  Win-win.

A solution to this is not one sided, it is many faceted.  Trouble is, the "drill/refine" solution facet has been left off the table.  As have the viable alternative energy sources, such as nuclear.  We caved as a country to anti-capitalism in regard to energy resources and the result should not be surprising.  Blaming the oil companies & grilling oil execs before Congress is a colossal  waste of time & effort, but it gives Congressmonkeys good sound bites for their constituents come voting feeding time.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #638 on: June 23, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »

And yet they package it in 55 gallon "drums"

And a barrel of beer is ?????

I know this 42 gallon number is correct because I sailed on an oil tanker in the Merchant Marines in my younger days, but I've always wondered where it comes from. Were the wooden barrels of yore 42 gallons ?

B B

when algore was hangin at the hanoi hilton, waiting for his next photo op, he said it was 4/20. and after cnn proofread, it became 42 gallons.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #639 on: June 23, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »

B B

Stretching the memory a bit Brian, but I think this is right.  There was a 40 gallon barrel before the standard 42 gallon barrel became the accepted standard.  That standard was accepted right after the Civil War and came out of Pennsylvania.  Prior to the mid 1860s or 1870s just about any kind of container had been used.  The final standard came from a commonly accepted and commonly available English wine barrel called a terce or tierce or something like that.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #640 on: June 23, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

Well the high gas prices are not affecting me very much. My gas tank on the F-150
was filled 5 weeks ago and I still have a quarter of a tank left. I only drive
it to work and back home and I only have to do that 3 times a week. The
rest of the time I am in the company truck burning their diesel fuel.

Mark

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #641 on: June 23, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »

I don't know BB....is a gallon of oil "bigger" than a gallon of water, it sure is lighter...

A barrel of beer is never big enough....

I measure my facilties energy input in mmBtu's just to make it easier,  :D
A barrel, 42gal, of good old bunker C oil has around 6 million btu's, or 145,000 a gal or 18700 a lb..Sheesh.

On the other hand, A thousand cu feet of natural gas has around 1 million btu's...fascinating huh?    ???

I can't remember what tha black liquor at the paper mills had for calorific value, but they burned the crud outta it....we are not using any energy today, offline..  :nervous:

How many BTU's in an average barrel of beer! :nixweiss:

If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #642 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:59 AM »

How many BTU's in an average barrel of beer! nixweiss :D

I think it's more commonly converted into calories for thermal units.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #643 on: June 24, 2008, 07:34:16 AM »

It is partially converted to gas, I think!   :'(

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #644 on: June 24, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »

It''s about time this thread was hijacked morphed into a beer discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 72

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.