Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Wind buffeting on the new FLHTCUSE3  (Read 14658 times)

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 3
Re: Wind buffeting on the new FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »

It's a Motorcycle expect wind  ;D You might try a different Helmet or Helmet with a visor.  Save your money (for a different helmet)  IT's not the windsheild.
Tried that, got a full face helmet, open face helmet with visor and helmet without visor, an trust me, it's buffeting.    The extra 3" on the 12"  stock screen that I have just fitted does the business.
With my daughters Ducatti with no fairing or screen, there's no buffeting just good old wind blast, but add a fairing or screen then be prepared to rattle if your head is in the flow!
Perhaps one of you guys with access to a wind tunnel could do a trial!! :2vrolijk_21:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »

Hi Guys,
HELP!  I went for a ride out on the new Duracell and was surprised at the amount of wind buffeting I got at over 60mph.  The wind nearly shook my head off at one point and I had to duck down behind the windshield.  The windshield I have on is stock, and is just 9 1/2" high in the centre.  I can see a clear 6" over the top in my normal sitting position.  I believe the standard height of a windshield is supposed to be 12", although I see some of you guys riding with just the wind deflector which is about 4" high!  Your heads must be bolted on!
I would sure appreciate some advice on this before I go and shell out some cash for a new windshield that may be too small or large!
 ;) :nixweiss:
Cheers,

Jazz
Do the research and buy a new shield. If you do not choose a recurve buy the maximum height for you and get it cut down in 1" increments. I may have 4 shields for this bike but I have about 10 different helmets. Rode for 35years without any shields and have had them on the last 3 bikes now and don't want to do without them. Paid my dues. With some research and experimenting you will find the right one for you. Lots of used ones on other forums and ebay to experiment with. And yes, having a few different helmets is always a good idea!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »

I bought a standard height smoked HD windshield for my USE, that's all I've used on all the E-Glides (8) I've ever owned.  For me I'm happy  ;D
I have read about the F4 windshields, and they have a coating that seems to be pretty much scratch proof.  If I would have known about them before, I think I would try one.  It seems like after a couple riding season, the HD ones start collecting some scratches no matter how careful I am with them.  -Just my 2 cents.

Steve G

I have an F4 customs shield on my 07 SEUC and it is AWESOME, It sheds rain like it has rain-X and cleans effortlessly. Plus I get no wind buffering. I have the website if you need it. www.f4custons.com

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »

Steve G

I have an F4 customs shield on my 07 SEUC and it is AWESOME, It sheds rain like it has rain-X and cleans effortlessly. Plus I get no wind buffering. I have the website if you need it. www.f4customs.com

Mark

Changed the spelling so the link works Mark. ;)

www.f4customs.com

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2008, 08:34:04 PM »

Hoist,

Thanks man I didn't even notice the typo

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 08:07:02 PM »

Love this site. Everytime I look, I end up spending money. Just ordered a new 9 1/2" smoked recurve for my 07 SEUC. I think it will work, I love the stock windshield height, but get a little to much wind at the helmet. The salesperson told me the 9 1/2" recurve would work real close to a stock 12" windshield. That should be perfect. They gave me the 10% CVO Forumn discount too! The only down side is the wait. I am looking at June for delivery. I really do love this site.

Scott

jazz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Happy Hog!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE 3
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »

Love this site. Everytime I look, I end up spending money. Just ordered a new 9 1/2" smoked recurve for my 07 SEUC. I think it will work, I love the stock windshield height, but get a little to much wind at the helmet. The salesperson told me the 9 1/2" recurve would work real close to a stock 12" windshield. That should be perfect. They gave me the 10% CVO Forumn discount too! The only down side is the wait. I am looking at June for delivery. I really do love this site.

Scott
Hi Scott,
Let us know how your 9 1/2" recurve is when you get it.  The 12" stock I put on works great and gets rid of the shake rattle and role that my head suffered, but I tend to look through the screen instead of over the top at times!

Jazz :2vrolijk_21:

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 06:48:10 PM »

Jazz;

Will do, I will post the results when the new recurve windshield arrives. I expect it early June. I do not like looking thru a windshield, so I hope this does the job. They also told me that I could return it is I was not happy for a taller windshield. The only catch is you must leave the protective cover on when you install, so it can be returned for resale.

Scott

comfortablynumb

• Senior CVO Member
  • u can chek out any time u like,but ucan nver leave

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC3 SuperTrapp SE slip ons SE Stage 1 A/C SE Super Tuner Kury LED Brake & Turn Kury Zombie Shift Linkage & Cover Clearview 9.5 recurve Tru Track
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 06:35:19 AM »

I like to ride with a baseball cap, so I put on a Clearview 12 Inch with the recurve smoked, I look over the top of the windshield by about 2 inches and love it. i can ride on a windy day with no problems.

Jim
       How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and wonder if the 12 is too high

06cuse

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 01 FXDWG2 Traded to FlaHeatWave
    • CVO2: 06 FLTHCUSE 93k & Traded on a 10 FLHTK 73k traded on a Skunk
    • CVO3: 12 FLTRXSE Rollin Hard
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 07:56:41 AM »

I have the shorty on my 06 still.  I had alot of high speed wobble  over 85 but the - buffeting was never a huge issue.  To solve the wobble I installed an AlloyArt stabilizer.  Bolts to the crossmember in the frame & to five of the rear transmission bolts.  This was a huge improvement - basically eliminated my problem.  The stabilizer is $399 retail - I got one for $360 from the Harley shop - took about a half hour to install.  When I went to install at some point my crossmember was bent.  I assume this is from one of four rear tire changes.  Straightened it out with with a crowbar - and when I bolted the aluminum to the cross it finished the job.  I am one of the few who ride consistently from 90+ so the wobble was a real problem.  I have had over 30 HD-s and many of my road kings wobbled at high speed also.  This $400 was well spent - HD should do it but that would be admission of a problem on millions of baggers - I have friends that have dynas that do it to.  To view the stabilizer alloyart.com is the website.  Never caused me to wreck but scared the hell out of me a few times.  Bike seemed to do it in dirty air - interstate - clean air never caused it.  The stabilizer just forces the enigine & tranny to stay in their intended position.  Keep the geometry correct.  To test the wobble i rode about 300 miles in excess of 100 - worth the money.http://alloyart.com/products/txr.html
2012 FLTRXSE Skunk S&S 124/HPI 66, PV w A/T Pro~ Chopped Tour Pack, Lowers, 11" Tinted MadStad, S&S Power Tune Duals, Daymaker LED's, Adaptiv TPX Radar Detector, Fork Baffle, Pro 940's & Pro Monotubes, Baker DD7, Zumo 660, Vulcanworks Solid Sproket, Barnett Scorpion, Jaggs 10 Row oil Cooler w/Fan, Hayden M6.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

I have the shorty on my 06 still.  I had alot of high speed wobble  over 85 but the - buffeting was never a huge issue.  To solve the wobble I installed an AlloyArt stabilizer.  Bolts to the crossmember in the frame & to five of the rear transmission bolts.  This was a huge improvement - basically eliminated my problem.  The stabilizer is $399 retail - I got one for $360 from the Harley shop - took about a half hour to install.  When I went to install at some point my crossmember was bent.  I assume this is from one of four rear tire changes.  Straightened it out with with a crowbar - and when I bolted the aluminum to the cross it finished the job.  I am one of the few who ride consistently from 90+ so the wobble was a real problem.  I have had over 30 HD-s and many of my road kings wobbled at high speed also.  This $400 was well spent - HD should do it but that would be admission of a problem on millions of baggers - I have friends that have dynas that do it to.  To view the stabilizer alloyart.com is the website.  Never caused me to wreck but scared the hell out of me a few times.  Bike seemed to do it in dirty air - interstate - clean air never caused it.  The stabilizer just forces the enigine & tranny to stay in their intended position.  Keep the geometry correct.  To test the wobble i rode about 300 miles in excess of 100 - worth the money.http://alloyart.com/products/txr.html
Nice product. My only worry would be that the long screw sleeves welded onto the plates might be a week link (from just looking at the pics) Do they seem  fairly sturdy to you? Otherwise, nice to hear that it works!

grmmpy

• Grumpy sees all and knows all

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary Edition # 56
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »

I am not sure if I am a rare breed or what; but I am not getting any buffeting from the windshield at all, I have tried differnt types and sizes and have come to find out that all the wind I am feeling is coming up the sides of the tank, it is as though the wind that comes over the lowers are forced upward.  I can put my hand out to the side of the tank and feel strong wind flow staight up......it sucks  LOL  If I lay way back in a stretched out position or sit far forward I don't feel it.

It is driving me nuts; this is my third HD that has done this to me.

Any suggestions?

Keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down

azmarkk

• Life begins at 40 and gets better from there
  • Ride fast or get out of my way
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:26 PM »

I had the same problem of wind comming straight up on my 06. Since I got the 08 SEU I found that opening the side wings redirects the flow and stoped the updraft. I am a smoker and I would wind up getting ash in the face.
2006 FLHTCUI
2008 FLHTCUSE3
2006 F250 KING RANCH C/C

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04:38 AM »

somthing you might want to look at, I notice severe wind buffeting when the fairing vents are opened or directed towards you.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 01:42:18 PM »

I am not sure if I am a rare breed or what; but I am not getting any buffeting from the windshield at all, I have tried differnt types and sizes and have come to find out that all the wind I am feeling is coming up the sides of the tank, it is as though the wind that comes over the lowers are forced upward.  I can put my hand out to the side of the tank and feel strong wind flow staight up......it sucks  LOL  If I lay way back in a stretched out position or sit far forward I don't feel it.

It is driving me nuts; this is my third HD that has done this to me.

Any suggestions?

The look like chit, bit Baker air wings makes a deflector for that. Lots of goldwing guys use them. Didn't even know they made them for HD's, but saw an ad in Rider magazine the other day. Sept issue.

2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 24 queries.