Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Paint problems...  (Read 2318 times)

havoc

Paint problems...
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:36:07 AM »

Last week while I was cleaning the bike I noticed something wrong with the clearcoat on the tank.  There was a small area that it appeared to have little specks underneath the clearcoat.  Well I took her to the dealer and the warranty guy took a few pictures.  Those were sent back to HD and they now have a new tank on order for me.  As I talked to the warranty guy he said in the past there were problems with the bare metal not being prepped right and rust or whatever someone might want to call it developed.  That problem was fixed or so they might have thought.  Something you might want to pay close attention to.  Also to bring this up I don't think they will be doing the bare metal paint anymore because if I wanted to wait for a little I could have gotten a whole new paint job.  The bare metal will be painted silver and clearcoat over that, or at least that is what they were talking about.

And I will work on the pictures!!

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Paint problems...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »

A few days ago I noticed a very small area where the clear coat paint lifted off the front of the gas tank and exposed bare metal. There is no dent in the tank but there is a noticable rigid line where the paint separated from the tank. I am taking it to my dealer in the next few days to get an appraisal to see if they will replace is as defective. I will take it to my painter if they reject it as defective and get another opinion. Glad to hear that you got your gas tank replaced, I am hoping for the same results as you.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

i already have a new tank on my  blue fxstsse07

StrahDawg

• 2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:01:56 PM »

Ice6900 I had the same problem with my blue 07 and I also have a new tank.

2007 Screamin' Eagle Springer
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
Rinehart 2 into 1 exhaust
S&S Single Bore Tuned Intake
Kuryakin Lizard Lights
A Few Chrome Do-Dad's Here & There!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »

Last week while I was cleaning the bike I noticed something wrong with the clearcoat on the tank.  There was a small area that it appeared to have little specks underneath the clearcoat.  Well I took her to the dealer and the warranty guy took a few pictures.  Those were sent back to HD and they now have a new tank on order for me.  As I talked to the warranty guy he said in the past there were problems with the bare metal not being prepped right and rust or whatever someone might want to call it developed.  That problem was fixed or so they might have thought.  Something you might want to pay close attention to.  Also to bring this up I don't think they will be doing the bare metal paint anymore because if I wanted to wait for a little I could have gotten a whole new paint job.  The bare metal will be painted silver and clearcoat over that, or at least that is what they were talking about.

And I will work on the pictures!!

How many has yours? Mine has 2500 miles...so I will check it today  >:(

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.