Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When the Shortest Route Home Doesn't Make Sense  (Read 1332 times)

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
When the Shortest Route Home Doesn't Make Sense
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:07:22 PM »

I left the house on Sunday afternoon with cloudy skies and the knowledge that the chosen path to Jacksboro,TN was riddled with numerous rain storms according to the radar images that are made available to the public by weather.com.  Timewise, the shortest route to destination was just about 270 miles and made perfect sense.  The trip there was indeed a bit damp as rain became heavy just a short 40 miles from Charlotte and continued until just shy of Knoxville roughly translating to about 200 miles in the rain.  Fortunately, the heavy stuff was very intermittent and for the most part, the rain was light, but steady.  Travelling at speeds ranging from 55 to 65 mph due to the conditions, the SERK consistently averaged 50+ MPG which I took as a reward for my efforts to maintain safety during my travels.  I must admit, I have never seen 50 MPG on any of my Harley's before.

On Wednesday, when leaving Jacksboro, the sun was shining and even though a bit cool, the short route home didn't make any sense at all with all of the great surrounding route possibilities, so for those of you in the East that happen to visit Bushtec, here's the route:

Leaving Bushtec, I took Rt. 63 North (a fairly straight country route, but very nice scenery along the way) to 25E North on to Cumberland Gap, KY and a great view it is when the weather is nice.  From there, South on 25E toward Morristown, TN (HD Dealer right on the route!) Very nice sweepers on this run and plenty of places to pass slower traffic.  25E runs all the way to Newport, TN where you can pick up Rt. 321 for a brief leg over to join the Foothills Parkway.  Take the Foothills Parkway/321 on through Gatlinburg and pick up 441 for a beautiful ride over the Smokies and into Cherokee to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway.  321 tends to get a bit traffic tied,  but was light on Wednesday.  My favorite section of the Blue Ridge Parkway is between Cherokee and Asheville and the weather was perfect as the sun was still shining and the temperature had climbed to about 65 degrees or so.  The Parkway was virtually empty of traffic and a delight as always to ride.  Picked up I-40 near Asheville and beat feet to Charlotte via I-40, Rt. 321 and I-85. 

Somehow, the roughly 400 mile journey home seemed to pass so much more quickly.  I really missed having Martha behind me or any riding buddies, but something about being out there alone provides a journey for the soul that just can't be described.  Even at $4 a gallon, I don't think you can find any better therapy!  I didn't take too much time snapping pictures, but I did take a few.  I'll try to post some of those later.  For the meantime, here's the route home.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: When the Shortest Route Home Doesn't Make Sense
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:21 PM »

Great report. Kinda what it's all about. It's great to share rides w/ partners but sometimes you just gotta go it alone and it has its' own special rewards.  :2vrolijk_21:

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:29:46 PM »

That was ur post number 666 :drink:
Ridin Legend

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

Went out to the Grand Canyon from the St. Louis area, and then up to Yellow Stone with some friends last year. On the west side of Wyoming I split off from the others and road home by my self. Had a great time with the buds, but still love to ride by my self at times.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »

Here's a shot of the switchback turn that is just below the summit of the overlook to Cumberland Gap.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »

Here's a shot on an overlook along 25E headed South towards Morristown.  Cherokee Lake is in the background.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Here's a shot on an overlook along 25E headed South towards Morristown.  Cherokee Lake is in the background.
Now that's a great looking bike pic  :2vrolijk_21:

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:57 AM »

Great report. Kinda what it's all about. .  :2vrolijk_21:It's great to share rides w/ partners but sometimes you just gotta go it alone and it has its' own special rewards

Amen!!  There is something about solo that just makes your soul feel better!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 11:00:33 AM by IRyde »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »

Here's a shot of the switchback turn that is just below the summit of the overlook to Cumberland Gap.
Thanks for the pics, Craig.......I esp. like the one of the 'switchback' corner......makes me want to head up there for some of those......guess next weekend if the weather will cooperate.  :2vrolijk_21:  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »

There is one like this west of Luray, VA on the way to Edinburg, VA (forget the road)...want to hit that when I go back up to VA next year for my next PCS.

Sean

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.