Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Gettysburg PA Re-enactments  (Read 1665 times)

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
Gettysburg PA Re-enactments
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »

Well we are booked for the Gettysburg reenactments this year. We toured Gettysburg while we at York last week and we just felt like seeing those reenactments would be real cool. I know, I know, it's going to be crowded and hot the whole time, hey, we are gluttons for punishment what can I say ;D We'll are booked at Granite Hill campground, I bought tickets for the Saturday and Sunday events and then head home on Monday.

If anyone has been to these reenactments before, helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Kathy

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Gettysburg PA Re-enactments
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »

Have not been to those re-enactments but there are some here locally.  Find a hill or the best vantage points.  Take chairs if they will allow that.  Good walking shoes & all, too.

I keep suggesting to the folks here that they should let the other side win every other year, to keep it interesting.  For some reason they don't consider that as historically accurate.   :nixweiss:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »

Bring ear plugs for the cannon fire.  Most of the weekend will be encampment stuff with authentic civil war living.  A lot of those people tour the country for these and make their own clothes.  I'm sure the Gettysburg one is circled on all of their calenders.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:25:36 PM »

Have not been to those re-enactments but there are some here locally.  Find a hill or the best vantage points.  Take chairs if they will allow that.  Good walking shoes & all, too.

I keep suggesting to the folks here that they should let the other side win every other year, to keep it interesting.  For some reason they don't consider that as historically accurate.   :nixweiss:

I think they allow chairs, they won't let you bring coolers in or backpacks or stuff like that which kinda sucks but I understand the security issue and all.

Yeah, I don't think that would go over too well with the historical folks but it would be something! ;D

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »

Bring ear plugs for the cannon fire.  Most of the weekend will be encampment stuff with authentic civil war living.  A lot of those people tour the country for these and make their own clothes.  I'm sure the Gettysburg one is circled on all of their calenders.

Good idea - didn't think about that. The encampments will be neat to see. I'm sure Gettysburg is a huge circle on the calendar.

Kathy

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 02:28:31 PM »

Well we are booked for the Gettysburg reenactments this year. We toured Gettysburg while we at York last week and we just felt like seeing those reenactments would be real cool. I know, I know, it's going to be crowded and hot the whole time, hey, we are gluttons for punishment what can I say ;D We'll are booked at Granite Hill campground, I bought tickets for the Saturday and Sunday events and then head home on Monday.

If anyone has been to these reenactments before, helpful hints would be much appreciated.

Kathy

I went like 30 yrs ago when I was a kids and I remember there being a lot of smoke!

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »

A little off topic but...

A few years ago it poured cats and dogs during the reinactment.  They had to postpone it.  They moved it to Gettysburg Bike week.  So the town was WAAAYYYY over crowded.  The real intersting part was during the reinactments, the fields were lined with bikes and bikers.  And during the parade of chrome the streets were lined with the reinactors in full costume.  It was kinda sureal but cool non the less.  No fights and everyone got along and enjoyed the displays of the other, even with the extreme crowds.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

A little off topic but...

A few years ago it poured cats and dogs during the reinactment.  They had to postpone it.  They moved it to Gettysburg Bike week.  So the town was WAAAYYYY over crowded.  The real intersting part was during the reinactments, the fields were lined with bikes and bikers.  And during the parade of chrome the streets were lined with the reinactors in full costume.  It was kinda sureal but cool non the less.  No fights and everyone got along and enjoyed the displays of the other, even with the extreme crowds.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Man, I hope that doesn't happen this year. I bet that was a complete mob scene, bikers and civil war reenactors, good to hear that they all got along.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »

Kathy

BIG  BIG  HINT   (the North wins)

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »

Man, I hope that doesn't happen this year. I bet that was a complete mob scene, bikers and civil war reenactors, good to hear that they all got along.

Take a set of field glasses.  You can get a real kick out of watching for certain details they often keep fairly close to "stock."  Things like the uniforms and some of the chow in many of the camps.  Pay particular attention to the uniforms.  Often heavy, hot, itchy, dirty in the mid summer heat worn for lord knows how long on lord knows how long a march or couped up too close in a rail car for an uncomfortably long time.  Jeb Stuart didn't have his best campaign at Gettysburg.  But at least he didn't have to walk there or walk home.  And the cavalry or dragoons couldn't grenade a transmission in their horse.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 09:45:31 PM »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »

DAMN!  always ruining it for everyone!

Like Twolane says, field glasses allow for watching for bursts of smoke and then hearing the report several seconds later.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 06:52:31 PM »

The best time to go there is during the reinactments. Unfortunately, I have missed everyone including bike week at Gettysburg. It is said to be one of the largest sites done with reinactors and cannon fire. Great idea bring ear plugs
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »

Questions that get asked that should not have answers: How did Lincoln read the Gettysburg Address without a teleprompter?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »

:o That's it, you have ruined the whole darn thing for me  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 25 queries.