Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Break in Procedure  (Read 2657 times)

hdkid

• CVO1: 08 EG Ultra Root Beer Bike
Break in Procedure
« on: May 12, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »

Hi Team....picking up the new wheels (#1181) on Thursday....I know that this may have been addressed before but I missed it. My issue is the break in period.....Harley says ride it like a grandma for the first 500 k's (sorry grandma, no offense), some say ride it like normal. Any thoughts? Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Break in Procedure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:18 AM »

Here are a few threads already discussing this...

Proper Break-in Procedure for CVO

Break-in Guidance

Worried about break-in with Syn3

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 08:53:33 AM »

Welcome to the site Kid.  Never fortunate enough to have a new Harley, someone else already broke in both of mine.   :)   Just do as the manual states and you will be fine.  

hdkid

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »

Well it seems as though the best way to be safe is to follow the manual...not that I think HD is necessarily the second coming or anything but at least if anything goes wrong I can say..."you told me to".

Thanks much for the help guys...Happy to be here and like most I am chomping at the bit for thursday! 4th HD....1rst Screaming Eagle.....9 years and 4 bikes later she finally said yes....wew....thought she'd never agree.

Ride safe Guys!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:20 AM »

I broke mine in By-the-book the first time, no excessive speeds no high rpm's as the book states varying speeds and gears all that stuff. Had oil changed at suggested interval. And had engine replaced at 1000 miles for cracked engine case and burnt heads, and oil leak.

with new engine road it like I owned it, nothing crazy but normal riding, 6000 miles later no problem..

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:30 AM »

hdkid,
Congrats on the new ride. :2vrolijk_21: Thursday after you pick the bike up you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself and post some pics of the new bike.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hdkid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »

Wow!...A new engine at 1000....thats harsh. I guess it really is just common sense, ride the bike, and hope for the best.....your riding pleasure in the hands of the pros at HD.....k, now I'm scared...hahaha.

As soon as I pick her up, I'll snap some pics and pop onto the new member board as suggested. In the meantime shes an Anniversary SEUC #1181 and at the dealer they call her the rootbeer bike. Gentleman ordered her last year, changed his mind and never even came by to have a look at her....shame. Smart guy actually cause if he had of peeked....well....she wouldnt be mine....Lucky me I guess!

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »

Wow!...A new engine at 1000....thats harsh. I guess it really is just common sense, ride the bike, and hope for the best.....your riding pleasure in the hands of the pros at HD.....k, now I'm scared...hahaha.

As soon as I pick her up, I'll snap some pics and pop onto the new member board as suggested. In the meantime shes an Anniversary SEUC #1181 and at the dealer they call her the rootbeer bike. Gentleman ordered her last year, changed his mind and never even came by to have a look at her....shame. Smart guy actually cause if he had of peeked....well....she wouldnt be mine....Lucky me I guess!

Kid,

My 110 was one of the first made (July 06) so it didn't have any of the owner RnD done.  They MoCo actually took my bad engine back to tear it down and see what made it go bad so quick.  But they did stamp out a matching VIN on the new motor and even gave me a free rental for the almost two months of down time.

Mark
2008 VW GTI

hdkid

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:31:10 AM »

Hey Mark,

Pleasure to meet ya! Well thats pretty fair of them....actually pretty alright really. I'm looking forward to the 110 and even more so the 6 speed. I ride an 06 E glide classic now....well until thursday that is so I expect the new horse to feel just a little different. Not that I am a speed demon or anything but when I want the little extra....its kind of nice if its there....you know what I mean?

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »

Kid,

Nice to meet you also and welcome the the CVO family, do like d00d said above and go to the new member site and start a thread to introduce yourself to everyone.

Just be careful on this site these folks on here will teach you way to part with your money like you can't believe...lol  Oh and the let me get a Screamin Eagle because it already has everything I would ever want :D :D :D :D I thought the same thing. But the amount of collective CVO knowledge here is unmatched world wide!

Take a lot around leard, dream, and enjoy only a few days til you get your "Duracell"

Mark
2008 VW GTI

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »

For what it's worth I break my bikes in like I would ride them normally. The one thing I do not do is rev high , keep the RPM'S below 3000 for first 500 miles. Have never had an issue . Do not use synthetic oil first 1000 miles.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »

For what it's worth I break my bikes in like I would ride them normally. The one thing I do not do is rev high , keep the RPM'S below 3000 for first 500 miles. Have never had an issue . Do not use synthetic oil first 1000 miles.
The newer bikes come from the factory w/synthetic (not the best, but still it's synthetic) in them. Are you dumping yours before riding and putting dino oil in it for the first 1k miles? :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »

The newer bikes come from the factory w/synthetic (not the best, but still it's synthetic) in them. Are you dumping yours before riding and putting dino oil in it for the first 1k miles? :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I dump synthetic and run v twin oil for first 1000 miles. Some say it's ok to run synthetic some say don't , I Caution on the safe side. I also read alot of damning of syn3 but I personally use it and change it out every 2500 miles . Have used it since it came out and I don't have any complaints. If you want to leave it in alot longer then maybe there is a reason to switch, But I learned a long time ago oil is cheap compaired to rebuilding an engine or transmission.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:19:49 PM »

Interesting. I've heard the debate about the dino vs syn for break in also, but not enough definitive information that would make me sway to using the dino for break in. :nixweiss: Bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »

Welcome aboard,

Every HD I have had I broke it in as if I stolen it, from the Evos to the SE 103s and the Jim 120 and now my current Blue/Black SEEG. Only ever problem was with with the Jims 120 and this was after 13,000 miles, and this was due to a faulty Jims lifter. Jims replaced the engine no charge.

Basically the piston rings should already be set in at the plant, by heat cycling.

Do not lug it keep it over 2800 rpms and drive the hell out of it. Also as others have said get rid of the POS Syn 3, break it in with Dino Oil, change after 1000 miles check for metal, and then after  another 1500 mile change again then put in the a quality synthetic oil of you choice, Mobil V Twin, Amsoil etc.

geezerglide
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.