Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lift Points  (Read 2451 times)

ad2

• Full CVO Member
Lift Points
« on: May 25, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »

I just got a Craftsman motorcycle lift. I can't find any information on the proper lift points for the SERK. Looks like no matter where I place it, it's going to push the kick stand up. Am I right that that won't hurt anything. Thanks.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Sean M Cary

Re: Lift Points
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 01:59:04 PM »

I just got a Craftsman motorcycle lift. I can't find any information on the proper lift points for the SERK. Looks like no matter where I place it, it's going to push the kick stand up. Am I right that that won't hurt anything. Thanks.

I had one for a night and used spot right in front of the wishbone under the frame...  It was pretty rocky/unstable.

I will say, I took it back and got a J & S...  HUGE difference.  Had to scrimp a bit, but was not work dropping my RK for the $150 + more for the J&S.

Sean

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »

I made my low lift many years ago when they first came out.  I was at a cycle show/swap and they wanted $379.95 for lifts that were not all that great.  I figured I could do better than that, so I did.

Now you can by inexpensive lifts for under $100 that for the most part work pretty good.

You can see from the pictures that on the upper lift plates have gaps in them.  I normally have towels on them to protect the frame, I never "finished" the lift by putting rubber on the lift pads, so the towels work.

On the new bike, the '08 SERK, it has the cross frame plate on the bottom under the pan that I try to put between the two angles on one of the pads and it sits down in the gap.  This keeps it from twisting on the lift if I move the bike around.  I have hard rubber swivel wheels on all four corners and can just spin the bike and lift in a circle, once I get the tires going in the correct direction.

I don't have means to tie a bike to this lift, but on either the old "76 FLH or the new SERK have I felt that I did not need to do that.  My lift pads have quite a wide width and span a lot of frame to keep the bike balanced better.

I also have to keep the kick stand out or it will hit my lift pads.  I've seen some of the lifts that have cradles on them that will lift right on the frame tubes.  This will keep lift pads away from stuff and the kick stand.  The only problem is that with both my bikes I have to stand the bike up straight to slide the bike lift under the bike.  The SERK is a bit lower than the FLH, but both will work on my lift.

I think you just put it under the frame and see what you have based on your particular lift.  I'd have a friend help you the first time to see where the best point of lift will be.  I usually have to do this on the FLH.  I lift it up just so the tires clear the floor and then try to rock the bike on the stand.  If I need to I just lower it back down the move under the frame just an inch or so and lift again.  This has worked great all through the tear down and rebuild.  On the SERK I put one of the lips on that cross member between the rear lift pad angles and it always lifts great, first try.

Good luck, but I'm not sure I've helped you much.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 06:43:49 PM »

I have the same problem with my lift. I have had it for years too. The kick stand gets in the way as well. I do put it on lift with the kick stand down. Push the stand as far as you can, then straddle the bike. Make sure you have it on two wheels. Use your foot and slide it in. It sounds harder than it is, but it works great. Sitting on the bike allows you to ensure the stand is centered. Push out the safety legs and start pumping. I pump it is far enough to hold the bike steady. A lot of this done on my due to no help.... Then I strap it in and go from there. The steps are done in reverse for let down. I only spent 100.00 from wal-mart. It came with a pully bar to wheel it around. I use it when it is time to do the tires. Must make sure the stand is up. Well hope this works....... good luck
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:30:05 PM »

Thanks Guys. I have a wheel chock in the garage that keeps the bike upright, so i think I'll just swing the kickstand out and try puting a lip of the cross member in th erear pad brace and see how that works. The lift has the means for strapping the bike down, so i'm hpoing for stability. If not I'll take it back and go with the J&S.

Sean, this is supposedly a "new" aluminum model ($190) which is supposed to be better than their standard lift.

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:36:44 PM »

Thanks Guys. I have a wheel chock in the garage that keeps the bike upright, so i think I'll just swing the kickstand out and try puting a lip of the cross member in th erear pad brace and see how that works. The lift has the means for strapping the bike down, so i'm hpoing for stability. If not I'll take it back and go with the J&S.

Sean, this is supposedly a "new" aluminum model ($190) which is supposed to be better than their standard lift.
Is this the one - New Sears Bike Jack? If so you may want to look at reply #10 in that thread.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

Same one I had - same one I sent back...  It was the Yellow Paint/AL one.

Cry once, buy the J & S!!

Sean

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »

Normally with most lifts the fore/aft balance will be best with the rear pad of the lift in the dogbone frame brace.  Try that first and if the bike doesn't sit level then adjust the jack location.  You want all contact between the lift and the bike to be with the frame, don't let the lift contact other parts.  This means you will need to have the jiffy stand extended if it's in the way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:45:22 PM »

Well, heck, guess I'll take it back tomorrow and order the J&S. Life would be much simpler if I could do things right the first time!

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Thanks for your suggestion. The J&S is ordered and on its way.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:25:06 PM »

Promise, you will NOT regret it...  I am a broke ass Marine and it was worth every penny.

Sean

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 11:28:33 PM »

Did you upgrade to the bigger wheels - definitely worth it

Did you get tthe oil drain pan - definitely worth it

Follow the J&S jack threads for the stop bolts I posted definitely worth it.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »

Did you upgrade to the bigger wheels - definitely worth it

Did you get tthe oil drain pan - definitely worth it

Follow the J&S jack threads for the stop bolts I posted definitely worth it.

Mine came with the updated bolts already...and I got the oil pan.

Missed anything about updated wheels...but it is rolling all over the garage with the SERK at the highest point.

Sean

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »

Are they including the thumb screws like I had posted earlier?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Sean M Cary

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

Are they including the thumb screws like I had posted earlier?

Does not have the part on the bottom, but yes...  Big Ole black handle at the top with slip over vinyl covers to keep from trashing the deck.

What about the wheels??!!

Changing the fluids today...

Sean
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.