Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Synthetic Doesn't Seem Like It's All It's Cracked Up To Be!  (Read 8335 times)

Sean M Cary

Re: Synthetic Doesn't Seem Like It's All It's Cracked Up To Be!
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

I frankly don't think it's silly to notice the sound of your engine changed when you switched lubricants. Like was stated earlier, if I had never used the dino to break it in, I wouldn't have noticed anything. But after switching and finding the engine noisier, I brought it up. And most of you agree that the engine is noisier. Why, if the viscosity is the same, would synthetic be "thinner", and make an engine noisier? This was my concern and reason for the thread, not to be "just plain silly".

Ya'll bring up some good points. Noise to me indicates the start of problems, so I try to pay careful attention to all the different sounds of my bike. I actually enjoy listening to all the different sounds. So when it got noisier, I took notice. It sounds like you're saying the engine noise is a product of it's environment, and that includes the oil . Different properties, different sound. If that's the case, and the synthetic is thinner, wouldn't then engine build tolerances be different for the different properties of the oil film that provides the lubrication?

I'm trying to learn something about this here, not be silly. Had never given it a thought til I heard it myself. Want to know for sure it works better, not go by the hype. You guys provided some good facts to support it. But if your engine operates at proper temps, you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking down. And we're talking modern dino oil here with all the necessary additives, not running crude thru it.

I use M1 V-Twin because S&S has recommended it in their new motors. But I'm sure Mobil pays em a pretty penny to endorse 1 brand of oil. Now I've got something to think about. Some of you made a compelling argument. Great stuff gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Sadly, the man who could have explained it in layman's terms was my dad...he was a freaking walking encyclopedia about performance oil and grease.  To the day he died he subscribed to lubrications journals and newsletters and was meticulous about taking oil samples on all his rolling stock... 

He had a Supra when I was in HS that had over 300k on it, and they broke it down to put new mains in it, and it still had usable bearings.

Sean

mbegalla

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »

IM stuck on SYN as well , Amsoil that is, the only thing in my FLHTCUSE since I drained the factory SYN3....maybe a little nosier, drain at regular, not extended intervals, who cares about the cost, what did we pay for our bikes anyways?  $$$$$$$$ better protection, cooler motors...I guess you still have to pay mto play!
MBEGALLA
Rinehart True Duals with thunder Monster Baffles
Zippers Redshift 575 cam(gear driven)Feuling, all the way
Doherty Power Pak with powervents
Dyno @ 108 HP & 115 TQ ....FUN!! custom MAP on Dyno

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:33 PM »

Oils do indeed break down.  This is the shear factor.  There have been so many tests done to prove the superiority of synthetic oils that this question shouldn't even arise.  Your engine will run cooler.  If you don't believe it, use a gauge.  It's easily measurable.  The other thing is that the synthetic will cling to your engine, virtually eliminating start up wear.  But, I hope everyone will quit using synthetic oil.  -With lower demand, I should be able to buy it cheaper!  :2vrolijk_21:
As I said you can make a demonstration do anything you want. Under normal conditions of a reciprocating engine the oil does not break down the additives which add to the shear tolerance of the oil breaks down . FACT.
As I also stated this subject will cause more disagreement than just about any other subject. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2008, 08:36:01 PM »

As I said you can make a demonstration do anything you want. Under normal conditions of a reciprocating engine the oil does not break down the additives which add to the shear tolerance of the oil breaks down . FACT.
As I also stated this subject will cause more disagreement than just about any other subject. :2vrolijk_21:

You are correct.  Oil does not break down.  It gets dirty - and its additives can break down, but the oil itself does not breakdown... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 09:11:03 PM »

I frankly don't think it's silly to notice the sound of your engine changed when you switched lubricants. Like was stated earlier, if I had never used the dino to break it in, I wouldn't have noticed anything. But after switching and finding the engine noisier, I brought it up. And most of you agree that the engine is noisier. Why, if the viscosity is the same, would synthetic be "thinner", and make an engine noisier? This was my concern and reason for the thread, not to be "just plain silly".

Ya'll bring up some good points. Noise to me indicates the start of problems, so I try to pay careful attention to all the different sounds of my bike. I actually enjoy listening to all the different sounds. So when it got noisier, I took notice. It sounds like you're saying the engine noise is a product of it's environment, and that includes the oil . Different properties, different sound. If that's the case, and the synthetic is thinner, wouldn't then engine build tolerances be different for the different properties of the oil film that provides the lubrication?

I'm trying to learn something about this here, not be silly. Had never given it a thought til I heard it myself. Want to know for sure it works better, not go by the hype. You guys provided some good facts to support it. But if your engine operates at proper temps, you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking down. And we're talking modern dino oil here with all the necessary additives, not running crude thru it.

I use M1 V-Twin because S&S has recommended it in their new motors. But I'm sure Mobil pays em a pretty penny to endorse 1 brand of oil. Now I've got something to think about. Some of you made a compelling argument. Great stuff gang! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Please go back and re-read my comments. You have taken them totally out of context. ;)

:indian_chief:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »

So how does Lucas Twin High Performance Synthetic line up against Mobil 1 or other Synthetics?

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2008, 10:03:10 PM »

I find the engine noise comments interesting.,,,,,,,,
At 1000 miles I dumped the Syn3 and put in Mobil1, all three holes.
The first thing I noticed after the oil change was that the engine was quieter.
Went for a ride and no more heat on the right leg, the engine is perceptively cooler, but I don't have an oil temp gauge to prove it.
Did anyone else have this same experience ?

cheers
Piper

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:26 AM »

I am a true believer in syn oil. 10 years ago I was doing some roadracing. My mechanic was about to change fluids and put the bike on the dyno with dino oil in it. He did a pass and then changed to Motul syn and did another pass. The end result was 3hp difference in favor of the syn. 3hp may not be much but it was more than what I had with dino in it. The bike felt better as far as shifting and smoothness with the engine. Needless to say I never looked back and have been using syn in everything I own.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 01:56:23 AM »

Personally, I use AMSOIL and I change everything at 5,000 miles.  Changing more frequently is a waste of money.  Hey, I've talked to people who change oil every 1,500 miles.  If it makes 'em feel better, go for it!   :huepfenjump3:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:43 AM »

Personally, I use AMSOIL and I change everything at 5,000 miles.  Changing more frequently is a waste of money.  Hey, I've talked to people who change oil every 1,500 miles.  If it makes 'em feel better, go for it!   :huepfenjump3:

I have a few friends that do a lot of HD engine work. They have seen a lot of damage with engines that ran Amsoil  5k or more between changes. I was told no more than 3.5k between changes. They run Redline in everything and said it held up much longer. I did not see any evidence in Punkins motor and I change between 4 and 5k. So I can't swear to their statement. One thing I can tell you is. If the bike sits over the winter and the oil only has 1k on it. I still change it at the beginning of riding season regardless.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »

I have a few friends that do a lot of HD engine work. They have seen a lot of damage with engines that ran Amsoil  5k or more between changes. I was told no more than 3.5k between changes. They run Redline in everything and said it held up much longer. I did not see any evidence in Punkins motor and I change between 4 and 5k. So I can't swear to their statement. One thing I can tell you is. If the bike sits over the winter and the oil only has 1k on it. I still change it at the beginning of riding season regardless.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Isn't it better to change it before it sits for the winter so all those nasty chemical byproducts are not eating away at your engine?

Then again, who am I TO TALK...MY BIKE SPIT OUT ITS OIL AT 43k AND THEN NEEDED A COMPLETE VALVE TRAIN JOB TO BOOT!
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2008, 06:57:50 AM »

Isn't it better to change it before it sits for the winter so all those nasty chemical byproducts are not eating away at your engine?
Then again, who am I TO TALK...MY BIKE SPIT OUT ITS OIL AT 43k AND THEN NEEDED A COMPLETE VALVE TRAIN JOB TO BOOT!

By all means Bill. I just never get around to it till spring. It seems the last ride of the season when you park is very cold. Then you start hunting season, well it just never seems to get done till spring. Hell we sit in the shop all during the winter and drink and be merry and still can't seem to get it done!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2008, 07:05:14 AM »

I always wait too long...this winter I did the Deuce on 12/29 and just took it out for the first ride on Monday.  The Ultra, well since I "kept it running" over the winter never got changed.  Looking back, I only put on 295 miles between 12/28 and 4/22.  Maybe I should just winterized it...but on that Sunny Feb or March day...it can be so tempting!

/Bill

By all means Bill. I just never get around to it till spring. It seems the last ride of the season when you park is very cold. Then you start hunting season, well it just never seems to get done till spring. Hell we sit in the shop all during the winter and drink and be merry and still can't seem to get it done!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2008, 11:41:33 AM »

I always wait too long...this winter I did the Deuce on 12/29 and just took it out for the first ride on Monday.  The Ultra, well since I "kept it running" over the winter never got changed.  Looking back, I only put on 295 miles between 12/28 and 4/22.  Maybe I should just winterized it...but on that Sunny Feb or March day...it can be so tempting!

/Bill

I never put my bikes away for the winter...there are always those 50 degree days here in VA that crop up and I just fire the bike up and ride.  I always keep the bikes on a rubber mat and a battery tender hooked up 24/7 when they're in the garage. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

Just a thought:  If the 20/50 Syn oil causes the engine to produce more "noise", what if you tried a heavier Syn oil.....maybe straight 50 or heavier??  I know there could be issues....the engine might not be able to pump the heavier oil up to the top end if you go too heavy.  I know several old Harley guys that swear by straight 50 weight oil.

Talked to a friend yesterday that has an old Electraglide (mid 90's maybe).  He probably has 80 or 90K miles on it.  He was over 100 miles from home Saturday and the motor started making a terrible noise.  An old biker pulled up and gave a listen and told him it sounded like a lifter was going.  The old biker told him to drain the oil and refill with straight 50 weight to get it back home.  My friend did as suggested.  He said the motor quited down considerably and he was able to limp it a shop about 50 miles away.

Anyway the point of this story is:  if syn oil is good, but causes undesirable noise, would a heavier weight oil be better? :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.