Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Synthetic Doesn't Seem Like It's All It's Cracked Up To Be!  (Read 8337 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

I finally got a chance to see any difference between dino and synthetic oil for myself. And I gotta tell ya'll, I'm not impressed with this synthetic crap. I've been using M1 V-Twin, 20-50 since new. Now that my motor got rebuilt, Vern wanted meto break it in with dino oil. He's not a fan of synthetic at all. Yeah, a benefit of not having to change it as often. But I think the dino actually helps the engine work better.

After putting over 2500 miles on the new motor with dino oil, I switched to my M1 before this trip. My first leg down beffore stopping for gas, I noticed the engine was a little louder after an hour into the trip. Thought it was my imagination. After about 20 min, we got back on the road, and the motor was normal sounding again, but after an hour, it seemed a little louder again.

Now mind you, I'm not talking about noise indicating any problems. Bike ran flawlessly! But I'm always listening for things, know my bike and have a good feel & ear for changing sounds and noises. So I called Vern and he told me it's the synthetic. That every bike he switches to synthetic does the same thing. Most people would never even notice. He was happy I was paying attention to my engine. So I started paying even closer attention to the sound. It definitely gets noisier with this stuff in it. :nixweiss:

Going back to good ole 20-50 dino oil when I get back. I'll go back to changing it every 2500 miles. New filter after less miles is better too! And it's a lot cheaper! FTS! (Synthetic)! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Synthetic Doesn't Seem Like It's All It's Cracked Up To Be!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »

I think I'm going to join the no-syn club as well...

Wish I could see some impartial studies to put an end to the debate!

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:18 PM »

Strange, all reports I've seen say/show/describe cooler running with synth at least with a good synthetic oil.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »

You can say all the bad you want to about Syn. It does not get any better as far as wear goes. One of the problems with Syn is people think you can run it longer. I don't, I change mine every 3k with a new filter rather it needs it or not. The only benefit would be in superior engine protection. When you have a go fast motor, it is like a life insurance policy for your motor and your pocket book!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG 
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »

You can say all the bad you want to about Syn. It does not get any better as far as wear goes. One of the problems with Syn is people think you can run it longer. I don't, I change mine every 3k with a new filter rather it needs it or not. The only benefit would be in superior engine protection. When you have a go fast motor, it is like a life insurance policy for your motor and your pocket book!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG 

Exactly, Mike.  I change my crank oil and filter every 2500 miles despite using AMSOIL MCV.  Sure, it's noisy, but the cooler running, and protection of my motor's internals is worth a little clatter and the added expense.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:35:01 AM »

I finally got a chance to see any difference between dino and synthetic oil for myself. And I gotta tell ya'll, I'm not impressed with this synthetic crap. I've been using M1 V-Twin, 20-50 since new. Now that my motor got rebuilt, Vern wanted meto break it in with dino oil. He's not a fan of synthetic at all. Yeah, a benefit of not having to change it as often. But I think the dino actually helps the engine work better.

After putting over 2500 miles on the new motor with dino oil, I switched to my M1 before this trip. My first leg down beffore stopping for gas, I noticed the engine was a little louder after an hour into the trip. Thought it was my imagination. After about 20 min, we got back on the road, and the motor was normal sounding again, but after an hour, it seemed a little louder again.

Now mind you, I'm not talking about noise indicating any problems. Bike ran flawlessly! But I'm always listening for things, know my bike and have a good feel & ear for changing sounds and noises. So I called Vern and he told me it's the synthetic. That every bike he switches to synthetic does the same thing. Most people would never even notice. He was happy I was paying attention to my engine. So I started paying even closer attention to the sound. It definitely gets noisier with this stuff in it. :nixweiss:

Going back to good ole 20-50 dino oil when I get back. I'll go back to changing it every 2500 miles. New filter after less miles is better too! And it's a lot cheaper! FTS! (Synthetic)! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie,
Look at it this way, if you had broken the engine in with synthetic, the noise you hear now would have been normal and you wouldn't have been noticing it.  Synthetic, from what I've been told is, by nature, a "thinner" oil, but gives the same or superior lubricating properties, plus it doesn't break down as fast as dino oil (either through use or heat).  My take, and I could be totally wrong, is that dino oil is a bit thicker, so it masks some of the "normal" sounds.   Look at the tranny issues for 5th gear.  Running normal synthetic oil in the tranny and you can hear the 5th gear whine, but run the thicker tranny fluid in there and it quiets right down.  I've ran synthetic in all of my vehicles, and when I take the Street Glide in for it's 1K, it's getting shifted over to synthetic...(going to try the Redline route on that, Redline Syn Oil, Shockproof and MTL).  I'm a strong believer in synthetic oils...I ran syn in my wife's 94 Accord and she put over 160K on that before we got the new one, and it ran like the day we bought it, and never had any mechanical issues with the engine.   It boils down to whatever your comfortable with.  Some people prefer to continue using dino oil, just like some people prefer using a pen and paper over a computer.  ::)   I'm very comfortable with synthetic oil.   JMHO.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:39:30 AM »

The chemistry involved really isn't some of that bleeding edge stuff, or something that could be interpreted either way like global warming.  There are industry standard tests that have shown for decades the superiority of synthetics, but if you "flat earth society" types don't want to believe then that is your prerogative.  And in a way I guess using oil derived from dinosaurs makes sense in a design that can be traced back to roughly the same time in history.   :o

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:41:18 AM »

I know that the syn has reduced the running temp on my SERK and I am still running too lean on the SECU to speak to running temp I'll know more after the Super SERT gets installed-whenever the dealer gets one. Everything I have read and nearly everyone I have spoken to says the same thing. I have heard some folks returned to dino oil and I haven't actually spoken to any of them except thie post here from Hoist. I believe it comes down to personal preference and until I get data otherwise the facts I have support syn as the better choice at least for me.

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 10:15:52 AM »

Here is a non biased 32 page summary that will help you decide whether to use Petrolium based or Synthetic oil....

http://www.sportster.org/tech/OilandtheHarleyDavidsonMotorcycle.pdf

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:31 AM »

Thanks for the link Piper!

Piper

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »

You're Welcome,
If you read the link above, you should read this one now.
It is from the ExxonMibil web site which means it could be biased, however due to potential legal ramifications, I doubt there any any outright lies here:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Piper

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »

I switched motor, tranny and primary drive fluids this weekend to redline and mobil vtwin. 
Easier neutral, less clunk from the tranny and the motor was 10 degrees cooler than hd synlube...KN filters

Granted the oil had 4k miles on it.  Temp's in the mid 90's, I think I was running hotter then the bike.   ???

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 11:44:30 AM »

Howie,
I know you're a big S&S man, maybe this will help you decide:  "Mobil 1 Named the Official Motor Oil for S&S Cycle's Proven Performance Engines; Mobil 1 Also to Be the Official Motor Oil of the S&S Dealer Training & Certification Facility"  http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/exxonmobil/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&newsId=20060202005556&ndmHsc=v2*A1072962000000*B1140253431000*C4102491599000*DgroupByDate*J2*N1001106&newsLang=en&beanID=2030803304&viewID=news_view

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »

Howie going back to the dark ages.  Synthetic is definately better and all it is cracked up to be.  It is however your engine so put in it what you please.  I won't run anything but synthetic due to it's superior engine protection qualities and the fact you can in fact run it a lot longer.  Countless tests prove that.  If you are dumping your oil (synthetic) at less than 5000 miles you are justs wasting your money.

Regards, Moe
 :bananarock:
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »

May be while you at it you could change your tires out to REAL rubber tires and they may last longer and be quieter than the Synthetic tires your using now  ;D  Backward Thur the future  :2vrolijk_21:

PS - It may only be the mobile Synthetic oil your using, as many internet sages say "one type oil is always better than another".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 01:08:50 PM by VAZHOG »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.