Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Dyno  (Read 1427 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
Why Dyno
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »

I don't understand why people dyno Harley's, mine runs fine with the combo I have and I can feel the seat of the pants performance gain.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Why Dyno
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 07:55:26 PM »

I don't understand why people dyno Harley's, mine runs fine with the combo I have and I can feel the seat of the pants performance gain.

Baseline to look at against future tinkering, diagnostic reasons, just simple curiousity; any or all the above.  Don't have to, just want to.  That in and of itself is a good enough reason  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 08:38:54 PM »

Compare the dyno results with your checking account statement!

You check to see what's in your account before you use it.

I like to know what's in my H/P and Torque account before I use it.

The knowledge of what you have available is a powerful thing. The knowledge of what you don't have is just as important.  It's all in how you use the information available!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 09:01:30 PM »

dyno gives you the tool like any other tool to use that tool precicesly to give you the most performance tuning for whatever setup you have - its the "fine tuning" adjustment that is critical - if that is what you are seeking.
likewise - it gives you the braggging sheet to show others that your set up kicks a-- amoungst those that suck on horsepower and think that they have horsepower - just cause them ole pipes are loud - does not mean it has horsepower and torque that is reaching the rear tire to rip your hands off the handlebars when you twist the throttle - or if your married and your wife rides with you - to catapult her up and over the passenger backrest  [smiley=laugh.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 11:31:37 PM »

And one of those tools.......the A/F numbers.  You make any kind of change to your ride from it's stock configuration you don't know what your A/F is without the dyno graph.

The dyno also tells you where, in the powerband, your power or torque is coming on and where it's dropping off.  If you're looking for low end torque (most of us are looking for that with a heavy bike), how are you going to know if you have it coming on at 2,800 or at 3,200 by "seat of the pants"?

Study dyno sheets and ask a lot of questions (just like this one) and you'll learn a lot more about your bike than you do now.

Let me use HD Dude's bike as an example.  He has the Freedom Package, the same as many others on this site.  He got good performance out of it.  But finally decided to ride to Freedom Cycles in Reno to have them "dyno tune" it.  They squeezed out a few more horsepower and a few more ft. lbs of torque.......that's why you dyno tune......to get all that you're paying for.

By the way.......a good question for somebody who doesn't know and you asked it on the right web site (get good, clean, honest answers here).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 11:36:37 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 01:08:52 AM »

And one of those tools.......the A/F numbers.  You make any kind of change to your ride from it's stock configuration you don't know what your A/F is without the dyno graph.

The dyno also tells you where, in the powerband, your power or torque is coming on and where it's dropping off.  If you're looking for low end torque (most of us are looking for that with a heavy bike), how are you going to know if you have it coming on at 2,800 or at 3,200 by "seat of the pants"?

Study dyno sheets and ask a lot of questions (just like this one) and you'll learn a lot more about your bike than you do now.

Let me use HD Dude's bike as an example.  He has the Freedom Package, the same as many others on this site.  He got good performance out of it.  But finally decided to ride to Freedom Cycles in Reno to have them "dyno tune" it.  They squeezed out a few more horsepower and a few more ft. lbs of torque.......that's why you dyno tune......to get all that you're paying for.

By the way.......a good question for somebody who doesn't know and you asked it on the right web site (get good, clean, honest answers here).

Since JC used me as an example i'll add my 2 cents...The map that was sent with my bike was the latest and greatest that Freedom had at the time. Every bike is different. There are many many factors that can change the way an engine performs. Even though they are all suppost to be built to the same specs. In my case not only did they get a few more HP and TQ they also got rid of the occasionall pop that I had on decell. Another case is Monorats SEEG, he also has the freedom setup and they got 106 HP from his.

With all of the complex systems on these bikes I would always get them tuned. Its the only way to be sure its running at its full potential. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:09:28 AM by hd-dude »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 05:42:03 AM »

JIMP when you do the basic upgrades you can always feel the seat of the pants gain(unless you have a problem) When you get into major upgrades that is when the dyno really comes into play. Believe it or not the local dealer can do some major changes like cams ,heads, carb or throttle body and exhaust with the download for the fuelies and may pickup as much as 10 to 20 HP just by dialing in the bike. Once this is done you really feel the seat of the pants difference.

BE SAFE

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

monorat

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 05:01:54 PM »

And as Hd-dude said all bikes are different and its nice to have a base line. I'm going to let Freedom dyno it everytime its serviced. Just to see where its at, where its been and where I can take it next. And I know hd-dude I still need to post the dyno sheet  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] but here, or under Freedom or dyno ????

Enjoy the sun  [smiley=7.gif]
1972 HD 250MX
2005 FLHTCSE2, Yellow, Freedom Pipes, SE air cleaner, power commander, Freedom/Andrews gear drive cams, Saddleman custom seat, XM radio, Freedom shorty antenna, 12.5 HD 440's.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 05:16:10 PM »

And as Hd-dude said all bikes are different and its nice to have a base line. I'm going to let Freedom dyno it everytime its serviced. Just to see where its at, where its been and where I can take it next. And I know hd-dude I still need to post the dyno sheet  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] but here, or under Freedom or dyno ????

Enjoy the sun  [smiley=7.gif]

In the Dyno Thread......just for quick reference to all the others.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 05:06:23 AM »

What you see is what you get. Where I work we dyno are jet engines when they come off new assembly and full engine rebuilds. This allows the engineers in the test facility to collect specific baseline data of that engine. This information can be used for various reasons depending on who needs. When customers pay up to 5 million for a new engine they usually request documentation or certafication showing that the engine meets certain performance specs. After a rebuild engines are started up and run in to make sure that the engine runs and what ever parts  that were replaced or areas of the engine that were worked on function properly.

The only reason I have had my motorcycles dynoed was to see how any performance upgrades that were done to the engine affected the horsepower and torque. On fuel injection bikes its a tool used to map the fuel and ignition system for maximum efficency.  
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »

what I found with dynoing was some very inexpensive HP & Torque (6 more HP, 9 more FPT)
I paid $300 for the tuning that's $50 per HP or $33 per FPT [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

and the motor is smoother running in all RPM ranges
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 04:03:25 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.