Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: US HOR on CFL Bulbs  (Read 1912 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
US HOR on CFL Bulbs
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »

Here's a clip I got in email today.

:indian_chief:

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: US HOR on CFL Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 04:01:54 PM »

:nervous:
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »

I had heard/read about the bad things about those bulbs but had no idea that soon those would be the only kind of bulbs we could use. I sure hope there is a change to that, that gentlemen brings up some legitimate concerns. Makes me wonder what the hell would happen if a house was to catch on fire full of these bulbs. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »

I had heard/read about the bad things about those bulbs but had no idea that soon those would be the only kind of bulbs we could use. I sure hope there is a change to that, that gentlemen brings up some legitimate concerns. Makes me wonder what the hell would happen if a house was to catch on fire full of these bulbs. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I hate that whole you have to use this product position.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

no differnet then a commercial building with flourescent bulbs
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:18:21 PM »

I can't imagine how crappy our hallway chandelier is going to look with 40 of those curly-q's all lit up. :puke:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

I've never seen/heard of this type of warning on regular flourescent bulbs though. :confused5:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:15:12 PM »

I can't imagine how crappy our hallway chandelier is going to look with 40 of those curly-q's all lit up. :puke:

Yup, that's going to look a little strange.  I also wonder how this is going to affect those itty bitty Christmas lights.  It's going to take some real talent to make CFL's tiny enough for that.  And I guess you can start replacing those dimmer switches that don't work with non-incandescent bulbs.

BTW, fluorescents also contain lead powder as well as mercury.  Maybe if we buy enough of these CFL's, China can use up it's excess supply of lead and they won't have to keep trying to poison kids toys.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Congress bans incandescent lights by 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

From Cspan.  This is interesting......

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Sean M Cary

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »

Yup, that's going to look a little strange.  I also wonder how this is going to affect those itty bitty Christmas lights.  It's going to take some real talent to make CFL's tiny enough for that.  And I guess you can start replacing those dimmer switches that don't work with non-incandescent bulbs.

BTW, fluorescents also contain lead powder as well as mercury.  Maybe if we buy enough of these CFL's, China can use up it's excess supply of lead and they won't have to keep trying to poison kids toys.

Jerry

LED...they actually are pretty neat and last longer.

But I a NOT a fan of this crap.

Sean

BigR55

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:42 AM »

What could be done here would be to offer a free exchange program. Consumers would have an incentive to return these for recycling. As far as them being made in China, we can not produce and sell these for two bucks. LED will work in many applications. One enormous oversight of this whole issue is that incandescent lighting provides heat as well as light. In Florida and Texas, you benefit from the cooler operation of CFL year round but most of the country uses heat at least six months out of the year. A watt of light provides a watt of heat. So when it is zero degrees in Chicago, the energy saved using CFLs indoors will not be saved but will be used by the building heating system.

Will you guys come bail me out when they catch me sitting on my FIVE gallon crapper reading the GLOSSY paper magazine under INCANDESENT light using over processed WHITE paper and then using my OVERSIZED spa tub that uses water heated with NON-RENEWABLE energy?  :o

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

Re: Congress hard at work
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »

Joe,
Fixed your link. and your post will be merged w/the existing thread w/this clip.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »

Neal is right, there are very strict rules that apply whenever we need to deal with large numbers of fluorescent lamps. Hospital's, school's and the like, at least here in the NE they are required to collect all of their used fluorescent lamps and turn them over for proper disposal. Very expensive and this all needs to be documented and reported. What I usually find are electrical closets filled them old lamps because it's not in the budget to dispose of them properly. 

The upside is that the CFL's last a very long time and the output degradation is slower then that of conventional lamps. Meaning that the light output levels stay at the designed rate for longer periods of time as opposed to other lamp types.

The toxins that are released from damaged lamps are only a small worry during a fire. The out gases from the light fixture lenses, ballasts and the cabling jackets, carpets, floor adhesives, paints, office partition fabrics and so on are in much greater concentration's. Even though todays products are much better there are still a heck of a lot of buildings out there that were built before it was a concern.

I just wish they would stop pushing this kind of legislation. This will not solve the energy problems of the world. It is a start but we don't need congress in our homes telling us this. What a waste of legislative time. I wonder if the lobbyists from the People Republic were praised at home for getting this one passed... :soapbox:  What BS!
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »

One other fun thing to note with these... They take a minute or two to reach full brightness. I put them in a number of lights in my house this year.  When I turn the kitchen light on, I can barely see for about two minutes. Eventually it gets as bright as an incandescent.  As far as the decorative fixutres, they have ones now with a glass covering in a roughly tulip or ball shape.  They have large base and small base available.  And they have large base that are dimable, but not the small base.  So if you have a chandelier that uses small base tulip shape on a dimmer... Welcome to sh!t$ creek.  Paddles are currently out of stock.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:33:47 PM »

One other fun thing to note with these... They take a minute or two to reach full brightness. I put them in a number of lights in my house this year.  When I turn the kitchen light on, I can barely see for about two minutes. Eventually it gets as bright as an incandescent.  As far as the decorative fixutres, they have ones now with a glass covering in a roughly tulip or ball shape.  They have large base and small base available.  And they have large base that are dimable, but not the small base.  So if you have a chandelier that uses small base tulip shape on a dimmer... Welcome to sh!t$ creek.  Paddles are currently out of stock.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

I put them in my basement lights same deal. By the time they're up to full brightness, time to go back upstairs... :(
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 24 queries.