Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Garage Door opener Problem  (Read 14461 times)

ad2

• Full CVO Member
Garage Door opener Problem
« on: June 15, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »

Got a problem. I had the remote opener installed last week before heading out to the ROT Rally. I programmed the unit before leaving and it works fine, BUT wife tells me the door is opening all by itself several times a day/night. Since I have one of those "rolling codes" openers that are not affected by other signals in the neighborhood, but the HD unit is not that style I figure there's either someone else in the neighborhood with an opener on the same frequency or there's some kind of signal that's triggereing the opener.

Anyone else run into this?
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
Re: Garage Door opener Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:56:12 PM »

Ditch the HD Garage door unit.  It's crap less than perfect and susceptible to interference along with a variety of other transmitter units.  What brand door opener do you presently have?  I have come up with a few simple hacks that will work with a variety of opener manufacturers and still maintain the integrity of your "rolling code" security features.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:09:37 PM by lilbear »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:02:17 PM »

My ex-neighbor had one of those rolling code openers.  He left his number code set at "1,2,3,4" on his keypad.

How did I know?  My keypad was set differently (EIEIO mebbe) but when I punched in 1,2,3,4 on mine, his door opened.  Confused the poor feller.   :huepfenlol2:

Never told him why it happened, but never left it open either.   ;D    Hell, it gets boring here in the woods sometimes.......
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »

lilbear - I have a Liftmaster opener. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:37:55 PM »

Ditch the HD Garage door unit.  It's crap less than perfect and susceptible to interference along with a variety of other transmitter units.  What brand door opener do you presently have?  I have come up with a few simple hacks that will work with a variety of opener manufacturers and still maintain the integrity of your "rolling code" security features.

http://www.biketweakers.com/garagedooropener.html

Even Better: http://skr8pn.blogspot.com/2008/03/harley-garage-door-opener.html

Been meaning to do this - and wondering if I can used one of the Aux switches on my handlebars...  Or put a momentary switch somewhere discrete.

Sean
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:24:43 PM by Florida Marine »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »

Craig, It's funny this subject should come up. I'm having all sorts of problems w/ the Homelink in the VW mating to the Wayne Dalton in the garage. I'm wondering out loud here if I can mate the Homelink to the HD remote and just be done with it? Or do I need to get another universal receiver?
TIA, AJ

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

Craig, It's funny this subject should come up. I'm having all sorts of problems w/ the Homelink in the VW mating to the Wayne Dalton in the garage. I'm wondering out loud here if I can mate the Homelink to the HD remote and just be done with it? Or do I need to get another universal receiver?
TIA, AJ

The mix and match on these things is tough AJ.  Wide differences in and many different freqs used by different manufacturers both over the years and currently.  Even with the "code reading" type of xmitter-receiver combinations.

I just recently had to hang a new Genie opener after a lightning strike hereabouts.  One of the old Genie's will hear the Harley transmitters.  Two won't.  The new Genie does.  The Harley receiver will hear some of the little key fob type remotes that are accessories.  But not the in car button type transmitters.

Even on the GDO motor/receiver assy that can read the Harley transmitter the Harley reciever reads them over a much greater range.  So I still end up using both the head unit's own receiver for the in car remotes and the Harley receiver for the Harley transmitter.  I think the only thing we know for sure about mix and match on all this stuff is that we don't know anything for sure until we try it.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »

The mix and match on these things is tough AJ.  Wide differences in and many different freqs used by different manufacturers both over the years and currently.  Even with the "code reading" type of xmitter-receiver combinations.

I just recently had to hang a new Genie opener after a lightning strike hereabouts.  One of the old Genie's will hear the Harley transmitters.  Two won't.  The new Genie does.  The Harley receiver will hear some of the little key fob type remotes that are accessories.  But not the in car button type transmitters.

Even on the GDO motor/receiver assy that can read the Harley transmitter the Harley reciever reads them over a much greater range.  So I still end up using both the head unit's own receiver for the in car remotes and the Harley receiver for the Harley transmitter.  I think the only thing we know for sure about mix and match on all this stuff is that we don't know anything for sure until we try it.

I know I should at least try this but what do you think the chances are? Should I not get my hopes up that the car Homelink will not work with the HD receiver?

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:07:56 AM »

I once installed two Raynor overhead doors for a friend/customer. I set his code to be the same as mine. When I was bored, I'd ice down some beers, and park across the street behind a tree, and raise and lower his door. I'd sit there and sip on beer and watch him come outside to see what was going on. That was entertainment for weeks.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:10:44 AM »

The biggest problem I have with HD's transmitter and receiver is they periodically loose each other and have to be re-married. I've not had one to last over 2 months. I was the same way before I met JD.

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:15:12 AM »

Since the Harley opener only sends a signal when the bright lights are switched from low beam to high beam or vice versa, I doubt seriously it is the culprit if it was installed correctly.  If you hold the programming button in on the garage door opener and erase the devices that work with the opener, you could then program one opener at a time and see if any of them are at fault.  The Harley unit also has a receiver attached to the door opener in the garage.  You could disconnect that first.  It may be the problem.  I doubt the part that is on the bike is at fault.  Mine works good.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 06:18:27 AM »

Interesting...My deuce has been mated since 2004.  The SEEG came with one so I added it to the SED at the same time.  Still worked this past weekend...knock on wood!

The biggest problem I have with HD's transmitter and receiver is they periodically loose each other and have to be re-married. I've not had one to last over 2 months. I was the same way before I met JD.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:52 AM »

Interesting...My deuce has been mated since 2004.  The SEEG came with one so I added it to the SED at the same time.  Still worked this past weekend...knock on wood!

I've got a keyless entry pad...Just end up getting off and opening the door. It'll work for 2 months, and be broke for 2 months before I fix it. Thing is, both bikes do the same thing. I wonder if when the power goes off the codes are lost? Living in the boonies, we have short power losses all the times. Digital clocks are always flashing 12:00.....Although I'm gradually solving that by buying clocks with batery backups.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 07:28:34 AM »

... they periodically loose each other and have to be re-married. I've not had one to last over 2 months. I was the same way before I met JD.

Been there, done that, got the t shirt.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »

Set my HD garage door receiver up in March 2007 & it works every time.  Never have to re-set it. Flash the high beams on the bike like some drunk chick on Main Street in Daytona & the door opens.

I'm not married to JD - I'm married to somebody else - so I figure that doesn't have anything to do with it, either.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.