Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Tailgaters  (Read 4035 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Tailgaters
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »

I know the conventional wisdom is to swallow your pride and let the [jerkoffs] get past you asap, but I had this bozo this weekend on I-90 who was flying down the right lane, then swerving over into our group of riders in the left lane trying to pass a semi, tailgating 2 inches off our bumpers, etc. He'd get by, then slow down to screw with us some more. For 10 miles he was playing games, before we luckily hit the I-Pass and left him behind.

Everything we did, even tried to nicely wave him back, this guy is smiling away while play these games going 70+ mph. The thing that sucks is, although the guy deserved a smack in the head (or much, much worse), the reality is, anything we did would have turned us into the villian.

Beyond the curling option, what other techniques seem to help in such situations? I'm so pissed, I've spend the last day thinking of all sorts of Jame Bond weapons to fab and mount to deal with the next prick, but before taking such measures, I'm just wondering if there's any tricks anyone has used to help turn the tables?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Tailgaters
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

1/2" ball bearings in your pocket, get in front of the a-hole and start flipping them over your shoulder.  You either get their radiator or their windshield...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

I found this to be a good purpose for pennies.  They back off pretty quick when they get a dozen or so hitting the windshield.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

i like both of these ideas....  and have thought of them both on many ocassions...  only problem is...  if it REALLY pisses em off..wont take much for them to do you serious harm....  if you have a BSR armed with a camera..record it for posterity....  aggresive driving here is a 12 point ticket....  kiss the license good bye  at least in this state..if you can ID the driver and the car...  and want to pursue charges...  its easy

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »

i like both of these ideas....  and have thought of them both on many ocassions...  only problem is...  if it REALLY pisses em off..wont take much for them to do you serious harm....  if you have a BSR armed with a camera..record it for posterity....  aggresive driving here is a 12 point ticket....  kiss the license good bye  at least in this state..if you can ID the driver and the car...  and want to pursue charges...  its easy

Yea but, there is something to say about immediate gratification!  Do keep in mind however you need to have an out in case the other party does try harm with the cage they are driving. 

Around here if you make a complaint that is about as far as it goes.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »

Yea but, there is something to say about immediate gratification!  Do keep in mind however you need to have an out in case the other party does try harm with the cage they are driving. 

Around here if you make a complaint that is about as far as it goes.

im a big fan of the 1/2 in bolt ..never know..could easily have tossed up by a truck tire....  but yea..you need a quick out

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 06:42:48 PM »

I have thought of several things I would like to do to some cage drivers - and have actually done a few stupid things.  I once kicked a football size dent in the drivers door of a lady that was trying to force me into a concrete retaining wall.  In retrospect, that probably was not a real safe thing to do.....it gave me a lot of satisfaction at the time though ;)

Anyway, BSR with a camera is probably the best idea.  If the idiot cager sees you taking a picture of them and their tag, they will most likely think that you have some pretty incriminating evidence.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 06:44:33 PM »

good use for the blue tooth helmet call 911 in real time
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 06:57:45 PM »

good use for the blue tooth helmet call 911 in real time

yea...  the sad truth ( trust me i know)  is that by the time you get done playing 40 questions with the dispatcher.. and they air the info , and IF there happens to be an available car nearby....  who can interpolate the delay in what the dispatcher is telling them...  maybe 1 in 30 chances will work out..

I have been in a patrol car when they aired a possible DUI driver probably 10,000 times.  Once they were right next to me at stop light.  a few times we have been close and nailed them.

but mostly...  the delay in location and a misread plate gets you nowhere...

it does work once in a while..and is worth trying...  but the odds are long

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »

yea...  the sad truth ( trust me i know)  is that by the time you get done playing 40 questions with the dispatcher.. and they air the info , and IF there happens to be an available car nearby....  who can interpolate the delay in what the dispatcher is telling them...  maybe 1 in 30 chances will work out..

I have been in a patrol car when they aired a possible DUI driver probably 10,000 times.  Once they were right next to me at stop light.  a few times we have been close and nailed them.

but mostly...  the delay in location and a misread plate gets you nowhere...

it does work once in a while..and is worth trying...  but the odds are long

In portsmouth, RI last week, this led to two cruisers crashing into each other...about 10 minutes before I happened on the scene.  My guess is that the lead car braked hard and fast to enter the median and switch directions...but the second car was slow to react...

http://www.eastbayri.com/story/291893480615308.php

/Bill

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:50:53 PM »

In portsmouth, RI last week, this led to two cruisers crashing into each other...about 10 minutes before I happened on the scene.  My guess is that the lead car braked hard and fast to enter the median and switch directions...but the second car was slow to react...

http://www.eastbayri.com/story/291893480615308.php

/Bill

OOPs

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:00:12 PM »

i know some states encourage the reporting of  "aggressive" drivers. i wouldnt expect a real time response but would expect it to go on record and if the offender is ever pulled over it would go toward establishing a pattern
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »

Cages are bigger and will send you rolling like a pinball if it's really a nutjob you've pissed off.  How about finding a shoulder and forcing him to go on by or, if he won't, finding an offramp for a quick exit.  Riding is at best purely fun.  At its worst it should be no less than the most enjoyable transportation possible.  Not going to go out of my way to try to make it a contact sport.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »

A couple of months back I was the victim of one of these aggressive driver calls...seriously.

Basically, I was driving the Tahoe and the person felt I cut them off...after they blocked me in for a couple of miles.  They chased us and rather than get into it we tried to ignore them...the woman in the passenger side was hangin' out the window flailing her arms.  Anne and I started laughing and could stop...it was funny.  Well, she didn't like that and called the cops on us.  We got off at our exit about 4 miles away when I knew they could not follow.  Pulled into the top of the driveway to stop and get the mail when I saw the locals pull up behind me, lights on.

I explained what happened in a calm manner as he sat in his car (and appraised me).  He just said for me to slow down...just to say something..and left.  Just in case, I wrote down the entire incident while it was fresh in my memory.

Probably helped that he is the town's motor cop and I had on my HD shirt and he may have recognized me cruising on the bike in town since I always give him a wave.  I also keep it at or under the speed limit in town...no 5-10 mph "Grace" here ...why chance it...it is my town.

/Bill

i know some states encourage the reporting of  "aggressive" drivers. i wouldnt expect a real time response but would expect it to go on record and if the offender is ever pulled over it would go toward establishing a pattern
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »

I say FIDO..........

Forget It and Drive On.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 20 queries.