Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petcock leak  (Read 11643 times)

osseobob

• Best handling bike ever made!
Petcock leak
« on: July 03, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

Has anyone had to replace their fuel petcock on their FXR lately? mine started leaking and when I called Harley to get a price for a replacement they said about 90 bucks. after doing some research I found that I can buy one for a later bike and it comes without the fuel screen and it cost half the price, like 34 bucks including tax. It pays to research! Just thought I'd share the info.

RedFXR2

Re: Petcock leak
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »

Another thought is a rebuild kit.  HD part number 61200-97 is a diaphragm rebuild kit that replaces the square rubber diaphragm on the vacuum assist part.  I had occasion to take my petcock off last summer and dismantled it for cleaning (debris in the tank clogged it up).  It never leaked or failed to work properly but I put the kit in anyway.  It's only about $8.50.

Put it all back together clean and it's worked fine since.  The handle moves easier as well.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

Time for a Pingel Hi-Flo boys! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

osseobob

• Best handling bike ever made!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »

Hey Red,
Yea but I was told by 3 local HD parts that HD no longer sells the rebuild kit, that I would have to buy the whole xxx part.
Bob

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »

Hey Red,
Yea but I was told by 3 local HD parts that HD no longer sells the rebuild kit, that I would have to buy the whole xxx part.
Bob

It's still showing up at the two different online vendors I just looked at.  If you strike out there let me know.  Probably have one stuck in an old parts drawer that's been collecting dust for many years.

Was surprised/amused by something just now.  Pretty sure I remember paying six or seven dollars, maybe eight at the most, for these back "then."  Just checking their online availability the current price was $26.  $21 with the 20% off discount.  Petcockflation.

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

Time for a Pingel Hi-Flo boys! ;)

Hoist! 8)

I had an expensive lesson on Pingels.  I'm sure their petcocks are good pieces in themselves, but:

1) They use a different diameter fuel hose from stock--larger.  So if you get a hose that fits on the Pingel nipple, it will be hard to get snug on the carb nipple.  Use the stock one, and it will require a lot of stretching over the Pingle nipple.  Plus, the fuel hose must have a 90 degree bend just after the nipple to go across to the carb side.  Hard to find in the Pingel-required size.

2)  The Pingel's hang lower that the stock, and appear to be just plain bigger, the outlet nipple interfering with the choke cable/bracket at the end of the coil.  If you rotate the Pingel clockwise to clear the bracket, the shut-off handle will be hard to access under the tank.  If you rotate the Pingel counter-clockwise, the outlet nipple will direct the fuel line in front of the bracket and block it.  It wants to be directed perfectly straight ahead but then it butts straight into the choke cable.

So I just cleaned up my stock one, installed the rebuild kit and all has been well since.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »

I had an expensive lesson on Pingels.  I'm sure their petcocks are good pieces in themselves, but:

1) They use a different diameter fuel hose from stock--larger.  So if you get a hose that fits on the Pingel nipple, it will be hard to get snug on the carb nipple.  Use the stock one, and it will require a lot of stretching over the Pingle nipple.  Plus, the fuel hose must have a 90 degree bend just after the nipple to go across to the carb side.  Hard to find in the Pingel-required size.

2)  The Pingel's hang lower that the stock, and appear to be just plain bigger, the outlet nipple interfering with the choke cable/bracket at the end of the coil.  If you rotate the Pingel clockwise to clear the bracket, the shut-off handle will be hard to access under the tank.  If you rotate the Pingel counter-clockwise, the outlet nipple will direct the fuel line in front of the bracket and block it.  It wants to be directed perfectly straight ahead but then it butts straight into the choke cable.

So I just cleaned up my stock one, installed the rebuild kit and all has been well since.

HeHe! You could be right about that Red. But I'm putting a nice chrome one on my new Blue 3. I don't use a stock carb/choke though either. I'm using an S&S Super E. S&S supplies a new fuel line with the 90deg bend in it already. The Pingel works just fine with that. Never gave it a thought about use with the CV carb. Sorry. :-[

Hoist! 8)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 03:25:35 PM »

$28.50 for a piece of rubber about the size of a quarter...Big difference from 8.50...maybe since it's discontinued they are tryin to rape me

Elvis, I don't remember who first mentioned this on the board but it's unfortunately true that the MoCo has jacked up the price to the point of absurdity for this part.  When I bought mine, it was $8.50.  I can't imagine how they can justify $28.50 for this one piece of rubber (this is the diaphragm).  But that's the MoCo for you.  I figure they must have been tracking sales and when it looks like they're going up (demand) they jack up the prices to increase profit.  Like the oil companies.

Anyway, that's the situation.  There are other aftermarket petcocks out there that might be a cheaper alternative.  Pingel is sort of the top of the line in the petcock world.  Heck, how much does a new HD petcock cost?  Or an equivalent from one of the catalogs like J&P?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Stupid gas petcock question
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Hi,
 I had to remove my gastank to troubleshoot a electrical problem. I did not find it but I am having a hardtime trying to reinstall the gas petcock. The gas tak threads tighten as the wrench turns toward the rear of the bike. The petcock tightens as nut is turned to the front of the bike. I have tried starting the nut at various positions on the pectcock but nut gets tight before it seals. I the tried the nut on the tank first then tightento the petcock. Again the nut gets tight before I get a good seal.
What is the trick to properly installing the gas petcock??? It should not be difficult but not knowing the trick makes it hard. I am tired of laying on the floor reaching for the petcock.
Thanks,
Ltank

johnsfxr2

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »

I changed over to a Pingel petcock several years ago and haven't had any problems since. Besides the appearance is more appealing.

FXR4Jay

• Swamp Dweller
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 10:00:04 PM »

I had thought about switching to a Pingel because like their looks but will rethink after reading this, because quite happy with my CV Carb for now anyway ..
Took me long Enough, but finally got my Dream Bike

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.