Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The end of the Twin cam?  (Read 2692 times)

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 flstfse
    • CVO2: 08 flhrse4
The end of the Twin cam?
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:12:31 PM »

The 2010 epa regs. will probably spell the end of air cooled Harleys, I hope enough of you and the larger Harley brotherhood dread this as much as I do. I suppose we can only hope an available aftermarket and potenionally black market will exsist for years to come. Sites like this will be a great source of info when this happens.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: The end of the Twin cam?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »

If you look really closely to the inside of the 110 cases just below where the cylinder studs are, you might find what looks to be places that water could travel.   :nixweiss:  Coincidence maybe, time will tell.   Wonder what Mercury Marine might be suggesting to Harley, since they make the cases.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »

If you look really closely to the inside of the 110 cases just below where the cylinder studs are, you might find what looks to be places that water could travel.   :nixweiss:  Coincidence maybe, time will tell.   Wonder what Mercury Marine might be suggesting to Harley, since they make the cases.
Things that make folks go MMMMMM.

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »

Unless there is a water cooled bagger out in 2009, I doubt 2010 will be the end of air cooled HD's.  And if there is, it would likely have the revolution engine in it.  JMO

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »

No end IMHO.  Look at the work S&S has done and they even pass the European standards.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:53:50 PM »

Gotta love threads like this one. Nothing us true H-D nuts love better than to speculate on the future.

B B

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 09:46:58 PM »

gunrunner, the answer will be found in area 51.     ....the demise of a good product won't be that fast.  axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »

Axil I wish it was just me seeing black helicopters. My two local service managers say its coming, they just don't know when, also check out american iron may 2008 in Donny Petersons techline on page 48 he goes into more detail. This has been talked about for several years now, I hope they can meet the 2010 regs somehow, we will have to see.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »

gunrunner, sorry about the area51 , but i had to  ::). the end of the twin cam will come just like first twincam(1935?) but i don't think it will be that fast . we can speculate , but in 2010 ? that model year starts in one year/three weeks. none of us knows for shore. I don't know what the fella's down there are saying but thy don't know anything more than i do, and it won't end that fast. imho   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

gunrunner

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:25:49 PM »

I started the thread as a ? just to get some feedback from folks on this site more in the know.

vagabond6542

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 01:42:38 AM »

I don't think the Twin Cam will have an end, it may get better components to meet the EPA regs though.
That's all it takes. :2vrolijk_21:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »

Wonder if they pre-designed some oil passage's to cool the heads, like they are doing with the new European Sportster? I read story on this new bike, cant remember the mag, that pointed out a new oil cooled head. There was a side bar showing the passage's which traveled through the cylinders. Emmmm.. maybe that's their next trick to help cool these things down.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 12:53:12 PM »

I've been hearing for at least 3 years now that this was the last year of the air cooled TC and it's still ticking (unless it's a 110). The MOCO will probably just lean the motor out some more and keep it alive until their backs are completely against the wall with the EPA and they have no choice but go to a complete water cooled lineup

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »

I've been hearing for at least 3 years now that this was the last year of the air cooled TC and it's still ticking (unless it's a 110). The MOCO will probably just lean the motor out some more and keep it alive until their backs are completely against the wall with the EPA and they have no choice but go to a complete water cooled lineup

My 110 is still "ticking".....yes, it's a very distinct ticking sound.  I have told the dealer about it and was told it is normal for the 110's :D :D

We will not see a total change from air-cooled to water-cooled in one model year change.  Don't know when it will be, but they will slowly move toward the water-cooled motors in time to keep the EPA happy.  They already have the V-Rod...they will probably introduce an additional water-cooled model in the next few years to see how it is accepted.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59:23 PM »

Gotta love threads like this one. Nothing us true H-D nuts love better than to speculate on the future.

B B

Almost like Area 51....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 24 queries.