Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transport Bike from Mass to Montana  (Read 3194 times)

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Transport Bike from Mass to Montana
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:47:10 AM »

Anyone,

I bought a Kawasaki KLX 650 Super Motorad in Cambridge, Mass. want to ship to Great Falls, Montana. Price so far for transport are in the $700 range, any one got a line on other types of haulers?

Thanks,

Geezergliide

hd2003-se2005

Re: Transport Bike from Mass to Montana
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:46:48 AM »

Geezer

That's a real expensive problem!

Cheapest I have found is Allied.

They ship based on weight!

HD2003

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »

Fed Ex also now ships motorcycles strapped to a platform pallet.  But I sure wouldn't expect it to be inexpensive. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 09:14:37 PM »

Geezer, here are a couple links to some outfits.  You may have already tried these, but maybe there will be one or two news ones for you to persue.  As HD2003 and JCZ have pointed out, shipping a bike is not what you'd call a cheap proposition.  Some of these are service organizations that offer competitive rates utilizing national shippers, so you may find a decent deal with one of them.

I have used Federal in the past as they have a great reputation and use pallets such as JC mentions which almost totally ensures no damage.  You'll see what I'm talking about on their site.  That is one thing I would definitely recommend utilizing no matter how much you end up paying.

1aamotorcycles
Federal/Allied
auto-car-transport
motorcycleshippers
haulingdepot
shipvehicles
shippingmasters
express-motorcycle-shipping

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 01:16:47 AM »

Anyone,

I bought a Kawasaki KLX 650 Super Motorad in Cambridge, Mass. want to ship to Great Falls, Montana. Price so far for transport are in the $700 range, any one got a line on other types of haulers?

Thanks,

Geezergliide

I've had a few bikes shipped as they've been bought or sold Geezer.  Can remember three or four transactions that went from the middle of the country here to one coast or the other in the last couple of years.  The price you're getting is pretty competitive to what I've found for a commerical long haul company.

CVO_BAGR

• '00 FLTRSEI_'04 FLHTCSE_'09 FLTRSE3_CHRIS BOYETTE
    • NC

• CVO1: FLTRSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: FLTRSE3
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2005, 10:33:11 AM »

Check Out www.haulbike.com or 1-888-HAUL BIKE

They are advertising a special of $398 door to door

I saw them advertising in the Thunder Press Magazine and saw one of their rigs picking up bikes at Hal's H-D in Milwaukee last week while I was passing through on a bike trip/vacation.....Hope this helps.....

Chris Boyette

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 10:46:16 AM »

Hey Chris, see you finally found time to make it to this site......noticed you were on at 2 in the morning......I know you'll be a asset to the site w/ your knowledge concerning the electronics, etc........How was the bike trip?    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVO_BAGR

• NC

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2005, 10:05:33 PM »

Hello Spyder,
I just sent you a message to your inbox a few minutes ago. Thanks for the vote of confidence. I posted a mini life story for all to see here a few days ago to get aquainted so to speak under another  topic on the board. ANYWAYS....the trip was great....Me and the wife and another couple left on Thursady the 9th and headed up to Wilkes Barre, PA and spent a few days there riding the back roads and seeing some of the Pocono's and went by the race track at Long Pond. From there we headed up to Niagara Falls and stopped at the Corning Glass plant in Corning, NY on the way. We spent a few days at the Falls doing all the tourist stuff, (We stayed on the Canada side) and then headed across Canada and crossed the border at Detroit. We spent the night with some friends in Fenton, MI and then took off up the east coast of MI all the way up into the UP crossing the Mackinaw Bridge and then drove across the UP and down the coast of Wisconsin. We stopped at the football stadium in Green Bay before arriving in Milwaukee. We stayed in Milwaukee for 2 days in went to the H-D H-Q on Juneau Ave. and we did the tour of the Capitol Dr plant and the tour at the Miller Brewery plant along with hitting all three Harley shops there. After that we took the new high speed ferry that started year before last from Milwaukee across Lake MI to Muskegon,MI where we spent the night in Fenton again. After that we stopped in Dearborn at the Henry Ford Museum and also did the tour of the Ford truck plant there too before finally getting back on the 19th. It was a GREAT trip. Only had bad weather ONE day out of the whole trip. The FUNNIEST thing about the whole trip was the look on the faces of the folks that were coming and going from the corp office on Juneau Ave. when I pulled up and parked right at the front door on the GoldWing !! The folks would stare from a distance and then when they walked by close enough for only us to hear they would say stuff like nice bike ....I wish I could get a closer look etc. That morning at the hotel we were staying at an engineer for the Motor Company pulled up on his car and was admiring the bike but didn't really say that much until Dan tiold him I had a few Harley's too and then he perked up and started talking about how cool the bike was the way I have it tricked out and all with the custom wheels and the two tone paint job. I explained to him that the other couple we were with was riding an Ultra and that we had rode the GoldWing in order to be able to communicate with them on such a long trip. Truth is I would rather be in the saddle of that one anyhow on that long of a trip. It is a lot more comfortable and the wife doesn't get wind battered that bad either. Anyways...see ya around town...Chris

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 07:46:59 AM »

Dang, Chris.............what a GREAT trip!  I didn't know you could get away for that long w/ all the stuff you got going on around here.  Good deal.  When you gonna pull the jugs on the pumpkin and get the fins diamond cut?  The one I saw in Daytona with the diamond cut fins was a 'thing of beauty'.......you gonna let Kendall Johnson do the motor/head work....it's gonna be a 'blur'!   Har!    [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVO_BAGR

• NC

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 09:49:21 PM »

Yea .... I can get away with carefull planning like that . We do this 10 day thing the same week each year so I can plan around it well in advance. It's a real  BI**H though trying to play catch up when I come back ! As for the work on the bike... I was going to do it over this past winter but got behind with work related stuff and didn't get around to it. Maybe this winter huh ? I plan on letting Kendall do the heads and cams and go ahead and orange powder coat and diamond cut the jugs while he has it apart....Stay Tuned !

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 07:28:01 PM »

Everyone,

Thanks for your help, after all of the checking around for shipping charges, I did not need after all.

I bought the bike off of eBay Auction, the guy (next high bid) who I beat out got a hold of me and made me an offer and I resold the bike to him.

Again, thanks for all of your help.

geezerglide

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 12:54:46 PM »

Ernie, I know that you're looking for this thread today.......so here it is.

I've also got to check one other source for you.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 12:14:18 PM »

I paid $ 600.00 two years ago to transport my bike on a enclosed custom car hauler from Houston Texas to Albany New York.
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 01:29:52 AM »

I am in the process of transporting a 2005 SEEG from NJ to CA with Eagle One Express.  All they do is motorcycles on their own trucks, and it was $545 plus $60 fuel surcharge.  The downside is it will take 2-3 weeks for it to get here.  I'll update when the bike is here regarding timeliness and condition
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.