Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: ROAD GLIDE OR ULTRA  (Read 17466 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: ROAD GLIDE OR ULTRA
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »

I'm in the same debate with myself right now!

My dear wife, riding partner, best friend and soul-mate passed away to cancer in January  :angel:. After much thought, deliberation and prayer, I've decided to trade our two '03 CVO SE's - FLHRSEI2 & FXSTDSE - in for one '09 CVO SE. I'm glad I kept her FXSTDSE with me awhile, but now it's becoming too painful to come home and see it just sittiing in the garage. I think it's time for me to move forward with my life, changing little things here and there..

Anyway, not much if any 2-up riding for me ever again and I will let my Big Dog Chopper go someday (even though I'm loving it for now). So if it's mainly me riding solo and I want an all-around sport & touring bike..I'm leaning hard toward the SERG.

I've seen and heard nothing but GREAT reviews for it so far, it's $4-5K less than the Ultra, and I love that bright orange & black color option:carrot: (although the silver one looks really good in pictures too..I hope to see both at the 105th next w.e. in Milwaukee).

Q. - Can you get a detachable CVO color matched tour-pak for the '09 SERG and if so, what is the cost?  :nixweiss: If you can, I doubt it's $4-5K so I should still have some 'difference' money leftover for other goodies.:2vrolijk_21: :cucumber: That's how I'm looking at it right now, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Take care brothers ~ ride safe, enjoy life while you can, and God bless... :)

ROADKING,  Gosh I feel terrible for you That has got to be tough.  Everytime a see a SE 03 I think of the great time we had in Milwaukee for the 100 party so I can only imagine your feelings. 

I rode the Ultra and RG in Sturgis and they are both great as long as you replace the wind deflector on the RG.  By the time I added the tour pak, leg fairings ,windshield and compared that to the cost of making the Ultra tour pak detachable it was about a 2500 seperation.  ( all the other stuff would be the same ( ie pipes toner)

There is one big difference and that is the WOW factor.  The RG sure has that, as evident by the number of people gathering around it on most days at the diplay at the Civic center in Rapid City,  Bottom line is they are both really good looking this year.  The ultra in Red and the RG orange are just great looking.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2008, 12:16:38 PM »

By the way I can not afford both  Darn

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2008, 12:18:28 PM »

Craig,    RED  and I  am keeping the SEEG, I just can not part with it .  It has been a great bike.

Comforting!  Glad to see that you can keep the SEEG.  Those Black n Blue SEEGs are gorgeous!  The Red SEUC will be a nice addition.  The photos of the red bike are stunning.  I'm sure it will be even better in the sunlight up close and personal!  Enjoy and good luck with your acquisition!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »

If you're keeping the SEEG (which you can basically "Ultra" out), why bother with another batwing bike, when you can one of those beautiful new SERG's? ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »

If you're keeping the SEEG (which you can basically "Ultra" out), why bother with another batwing bike, when you can one of those beautiful new SERG's? ;)

Hoist! 8)

That's what I'm thinkin'!?! :nixweiss:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »

I'm in the same debate with myself right now!

My dear wife, riding partner, best friend and soul-mate passed away to cancer in January  :angel:. After much thought, deliberation and prayer, I've decided to trade our two '03 CVO SE's - FLHRSEI2 & FXSTDSE - in for one '09 CVO SE. I'm glad I kept her FXSTDSE with me awhile, but now it's becoming too painful to come home and see it just sittiing in the garage. I think it's time for me to move forward with my life, changing little things here and there..

Anyway, not much if any 2-up riding for me ever again and I will let my Big Dog Chopper go someday (even though I'm loving it for now). So if it's mainly me riding solo and I want an all-around sport & touring bike..I'm leaning hard toward the SERG.

I've seen and heard nothing but GREAT reviews for it so far, it's $4-5K less than the Ultra, and I love that bright orange & black color option:carrot: (although the silver one looks really good in pictures too..I hope to see both at the 105th next w.e. in Milwaukee).

Q. - Can you get a detachable CVO color matched tour-pak for the '09 SERG and if so, what is the cost?  :nixweiss: If you can, I doubt it's $4-5K so I should still have some 'difference' money leftover for other goodies.:2vrolijk_21: :cucumber: That's how I'm looking at it right now, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Take care brothers ~ ride safe, enjoy life while you can, and God bless... :)

RK,

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your wife.  I am sure it has been a very painful time for you.  I am glad you are going to continue to ride.  My heartfelt condolences.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:33 PM »

Sorry to hear about your wife RK. It will take some time to heal.  The 09 SERG will not have a King Tour pack produced by Harley. They have the chopped pack for $1100.00, but they say there is no plans to offer the larger tour pack---to expensive to paint--would cost upwards of $1500 for the pack alone, without the backrest,luggage rack or bracket. Hope they change their minds though. The only choice is to buy one and paint match it, but that doesn't always look as good.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2008, 03:41:25 PM »

Would be interested in others who made this choice and what you decided and why

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »

If you think you are going to do two up riding again then get the Ultra.  Otherwise I would go for the SERG as it will provide a greater "fun" factor.  I have the SEUC and will make a decision tomorrow about ADDING a Silver SERG for my sport one up bike.  I had two bikes til recently when I sold the SEEG because I don't really have time now to even ride one bike now.  But here I am, like a dumb butt, looking at the SERG because it is so awesome looking.  Heck I can't even get my wife to talk me out of it.  Tomorrow is my deadline for commitment ($$$$) cause the SERG is coming soon. 
Good luck with your choice.  The good news is you can't go wrong either way!   

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »

If you think you are going to do two up riding again then get the Ultra.  Otherwise I would go for the SERG as it will provide a greater "fun" factor.  I have the SEUC and will make a decision tomorrow about ADDING a Silver SERG for my sport one up bike.  I had two bikes til recently when I sold the SEEG because I don't really have time now to even ride one bike now.  But here I am, like a dumb butt, looking at the SERG because it is so awesome looking.  Heck I can't even get my wife to talk me out of it.  Tomorrow is my deadline for commitment ($$$$) cause the SERG is coming soon. 
Good luck with your choice.  The good news is you can't go wrong either way!   

You have some good points here and I am pretty much in the same situation.  One thing for sure is I am not letting my SEEG go
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:48:12 PM by bbrown »

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »

Check the Road Glide posting.  There is a pretty bad report on the RG in by Harley John 59 under 09 SE roadglide.

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »

I just sold my 06 SE ultra, my deal was all the stuff most of you are adding I made detachable so It would have a little more cooler factor when running around town.  It was nice to throw all that stuff back on for long rides.  I know my girlfriend really liked the ultra for the ride but she thinks the 09 SERG I just got is way cooler looking.  I read the RG thread on the ride and will say this, I do think the RG has a stiffer suspension not bad by no means but little tight.  But I bought a bike to ride and have fun and let me tell you my RG is just amazing in the corners.  When I hit a corner the bike is on rails, and just flys out of them.  When I get back from my 40 mile therapy loop I run no matter how bad my day was the smile is back at the end of it.  My ultra could never corner like that.
So If your wanting to have a bike that you can load up and head out for a 5 or 6 day run and thats mostly what your going to do go with the ultra.
If your wanting to have a bike that you can have fun goosing around on but load up and go on that same long run with some add on acc. then the glide.
I know this I went to a bar and grill yesterday where they have dedicated bike parking must have been 100 bikes at least in this lot.  When I walked out to my bike it was definately easy to find.  Didn't get lost in the sea of streetglides and ultras.  Heck there was several beautiful choppers in that lot but their was at 6 people standing around my bike talking about, and yes one woman who said that it was the best paint she ever seen on a harley but she couldn't ride on it with out that touring pak.  She was too use to it.  And two guys that said they were amazed out how cool it was in person and wondering if any dealers had any left. 

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2008, 08:10:13 AM »

I finally got to see a new B/O SERG and all I could say to my wife was "WOW". That is one sharp bike. One of the local dealers has a large concert venue on the property and there was several hundred bikes there Sat. nite and that SERG stood out like a sore thumb. I've never been much of a RG kind of guy but that bike definitly gets a  :2vrolijk_21: from me

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

[This is still  difficult call.  By the time you add the tour pack, leg fairings ,and rider foot boards you are at the same price as an Ultra without the WOW factor.

Although the colors on the Ultras aren't bad

Really like the RED 

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »

I opted for the SERG over the Ultra this year, it was a tough call though. There were two main reasons.  First, I have owned an '04 CVO Electraglide so I wanted to try something a little different this time around.  And Second, I really liked the Titanium/Silver color combination.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.