Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade  (Read 11651 times)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
Re: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

When mine activates and I go to pull out it hestitates just a bit.  If you blip the throttle before you pull out, it re-ignites the cylinder and off you go without a hesitation.  If you are bothered by the tall first gear on Cruise Drive 6 speeds and don't have a lot of parade duty or long lights I'd skip it.  In my case, I have some long lights on my commute and I'm pretty good with a motorcycle clutch so it doesn't bother me.  If you do decide you want it, I wouldn't make a special trip.  Have them do it while it's for a regular service or the 905 "product improvement campaign".

And you are correct, on early manufactured '08 and earlier bikes, the heat management is only able to be activated or removed by the dealer.  The rolling the throttle back for three seconds will not work.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 04:57:37 PM »

If you want some relief from the heat you can always put heat deflectors just above the cylinders. With a fattened up motor and different pipes and intake it makes things much nicer!! Even hear in Arizona when it get's hotter than Hell. 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 07:33:22 PM »

If you want some relief from the heat you can always put heat deflectors just above the cylinders. With a fattened up motor and different pipes and intake it makes things much nicer!! Even hear in Arizona when it get's hotter than Hell. 8) 8)

Im wondering how cool a Jims 131 will run in the desert heat.. Jims says a lot cooler then the current factory runs. With the bigger cubes i am slightly concerned.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 03:16:14 PM »

Unless I'm reading something wrong, the EITMS (Engine Idle Temperature Management System) can be activated and deactivated (at least on older bikes) using your SERT too -if you have one. I recently used my SERT to activate it on my '07 FLHRSE3 but I haven't had a chance to see if it works yet or not -or what I think of it. We're headed to Milwaukee at the end of the week so it may get a road test in traffic there. I'm bringing my SERT and laptop along just in case I need to make any changes on the road...  :)
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:57 PM »

The EITMS can be rider controlled on all 08's, you just need to have your ECM flashed with new update.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 01:58:02 PM »

When mine activates and I go to pull out it hestitates just a bit.  If you blip the throttle before you pull out, it re-ignites the cylinder and off you go without a hesitation.  If you are bothered by the tall first gear on Cruise Drive 6 speeds and don't have a lot of parade duty or long lights I'd skip it.  In my case, I have some long lights on my commute and I'm pretty good with a motorcycle clutch so it doesn't bother me.  If you do decide you want it, I wouldn't make a special trip.  Have them do it while it's for a regular service or the 905 "product improvement campaign".

And you are correct, on early manufactured '08 and earlier bikes, the heat management is only able to be activated or removed by the dealer.  The rolling the throttle back for three seconds will not work.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

You can do it with yourself if you have a SERT, laptop and cables, on the 2007s at least.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 02:47:43 PM »

The EITMS can be rider controlled on all 08's, you just need to have your ECM flashed with new update.

I don't think that's true... And the Service Manager and I verified it with my bike.  Mid year '08 production and earlier models can have the Heat Management flashed onto the ECM but it is NOT rider controled.  Rolling the throttle backwards and holding does not turn it on or off.  The Cruise light does NOT go green or red.  It can only be de-activated by re-flashing the ECM.  And yes, if you have the SERT, cables and laptop you can do it yourself.

If anyone has a bike that is manufactured in summer of '07 and has the rider controlled heat management please post here and let me know that so I can go find out why my bike wouldn't support it.

Newer '08s and all '09s support the rider control.  Not sure of the exact cut off date.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 10:20:12 PM »

I don't think that's true... And the Service Manager and I verified it with my bike.  Mid year '08 production and earlier models can have the Heat Management flashed onto the ECM but it is NOT rider controled.  Rolling the throttle backwards and holding does not turn it on or off.  The Cruise light does NOT go green or red.  It can only be de-activated by re-flashing the ECM.  And yes, if you have the SERT, cables and laptop you can do it yourself.

If anyone has a bike that is manufactured in summer of '07 and has the rider controlled heat management please post here and let me know that so I can go find out why my bike wouldn't support it.

Newer '08s and all '09s support the rider control.  Not sure of the exact cut off date.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

All 08's can. My tech did not think this was possible either when I mentioned it. He went onto HD site and looked for ugrades for my ECM, there were two, he installed them and now mine is rider controlled. I don't even think he knew it when I left. When I got home I tried it again just for the hell of it and it worked. No BS

da Gunny

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 10:26:02 PM »

Once an "Early 08" is recal'd, it will have Throttle controlled EITMS.... Sorry J-Carr, but your Svc Mgr is misinformed.. Have him read Svc Bulletin M1213A..

Reason for Revision
Recent calibrations now allow customers to enable and disable
EITMS using twist grip roll-off, without the need for Digital
Technician.

2008 Touring model motorcycles produced December 3,
2007 and later were shipped from the factory with the new
calibration with twist grip roll-off selection for EITMS.

Purpose
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions
where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions
or traffic congestion, an engine temperature strategy
is available. This strategy offers limited rear cylinder cooling
with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle or at
low vehicle speeds once the temperature threshold is
exceeded. The customer may contact their dealer to have
this calibration performed.

Required Dealer Action
Activating Engine Idle Temperature Management
System (EITMS)

Upon request of the customer, reflash the ECM with the
revised calibration using Digital Technician II.
Early versions of the 2008 owner’s manuals do not include
information for the revised calibration with customer-selectable
EITMS. Review/explain the following system function to
the customer and provide them with a copy of page 3 of this
bulletin.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 10:09:50 AM »

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

J-Carr,

Are you sure about what your saying about pre 08 bikes?  In the SERT software on the last table constants EITMS is activatable please take a look at the attachment.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:15:07 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 01:13:23 PM »

Rang my dealer today and he says he has been on Web and nothing about the 2008 heat management recall there.

da Gunny

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:49 PM »

Here is the Service Bulletin, for those that need to see it for themselves....

And for you others... You might want to challenge "Your" Techs and Service Managers that have told you otherwise...

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »

Here is the Service Bulletin, for those that need to see it for themselves....

And for you others... You might want to challenge "Your" Techs and Service Managers that have told you otherwise...
wi

Thanks for posting this, this pretty much nails the explanation and rumors. I haven't activated this yet. Now I'm curious if the new TTS software will allow enabling and disabling this option.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »

Thanks i will try this now.

BaggerDave

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 04:54:31 PM »

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

My 08 was built January 08, and already was activated from the factory!

D&D Fatcats
Doherty PowerPACC
SE Pro Super Tuner
HP 100 TQ 116
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.