Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade  (Read 11650 times)

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
Re: 2008 Heat Management Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »

Once an "Early 08" is recal'd, it will have Throttle controlled EITMS.... Sorry J-Carr, but your Svc Mgr is misinformed.. Have him read Svc Bulletin M1213A..

Reason for Revision
Recent calibrations now allow customers to enable and disable
EITMS using twist grip roll-off, without the need for Digital
Technician.

2008 Touring model motorcycles produced December 3,
2007 and later were shipped from the factory with the new
calibration with twist grip roll-off selection for EITMS.

Purpose
For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions
where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions
or traffic congestion, an engine temperature strategy
is available. This strategy offers limited rear cylinder cooling
with the vehicle stopped while the engine is left at idle or at
low vehicle speeds once the temperature threshold is
exceeded. The customer may contact their dealer to have
this calibration performed.

Required Dealer Action
Activating Engine Idle Temperature Management
System (EITMS)

Upon request of the customer, reflash the ECM with the
revised calibration using Digital Technician II.
Early versions of the 2008 owner’s manuals do not include
information for the revised calibration with customer-selectable
EITMS. Review/explain the following system function to
the customer and provide them with a copy of page 3 of this
bulletin.

Does my bike have it, if it was built before Dec 3 2007

da Gunny

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »

Does my bike have it, if it was built before Dec 3 2007

Not if it was built PRIOR to 3 Dec 07.... It is stated in the Service Bulletin under the topic "Reason For Revision"....

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »

Once an "Early 08" is recal'd, it will have Throttle controlled EITMS.... Sorry J-Carr, but your Svc Mgr is misinformed.. Have him read Svc Bulletin M1213A..

Hey Gunny,

Sorry for the delay.  I was out in Milwaukee getting herded like cattle!  I really appreciate the info and will print out the bulletin and take it to the SM tommorrow when my bike goes in for the 20k service.  I'll let you know what info I get.  He's usually pretty reliable, but hey... If Harley and there SMs where always reliable we wouldn't need this forum and it would all be us complimenting each other on how good our bike are!

Thanks again and Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

Gunny,

You called it right man!  The SM just emailed me and there is a newer download then the one they put in mine (and the owner's FLHTCUSE3 I may add!).  I still have to bring my bike in and they'll load it, but they tried it on the owner's bike and it did work.

They thought they had the most recent in my bike and in fact the first time he called the factory they confirmed that it didn't work on the older bikes.  Then they called him back and told him to try this update.

My appologies to those I mislead.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »

Need some help!
The Service Manager at out H.D. Dealer is having trouble installing the download for the H.M.S.
He is following the guidlines listed on Svc Bulletin M1213A for installation and it is not taking on my 08SEUC.
He has installed this on other bikes but not ever on the 110, however it does state that this download is for 110's as well as 96's.
He has had a call into MOCO without a return call so far.
 :nixweiss:
Sawyer Ghost

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 05:42:02 PM »

I use my own HMS!!! Ride it like you stole it, never a heat problem!!! And if there's traffic, split lanes, use the sidewalk, or pull over!!! Cutting cylinders out to try to maintain a reasonable engine temp ain't my idea of engineering! Another HD bandaid to an inferior design! Wow, I'm surprised!!! FTF!!! ::) :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

da Gunny

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »

Gunny,

You called it right man!  The SM just emailed me and there is a newer download then the one they put in mine (and the owner's FLHTCUSE3 I may add!).  I still have to bring my bike in and they'll load it, but they tried it on the owner's bike and it did work.

They thought they had the most recent in my bike and in fact the first time he called the factory they confirmed that it didn't work on the older bikes.  Then they called him back and told him to try this update.

My appologies to those I mislead.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Newest update is to correct the TBW calibration issue... The Problem with it is that is screws up the TBW performance.... It is primarily effecting the earlier FL Touring models..... Here is the Tech Tip.... Apparently your SM is not keeping up on the TECHNICAL READING from the mothership...

TT380 – June 12, 2008 - High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models High Idle Complaints on 2008 Touring Models

Due to ’08 Electronic Throttle Control calibration strategy parameters and throttle grip sensor variability some customers have experienced intermittent changes in idle RPMs. This condition is caused by a change in the zero position stored to memory in the ECM, as determined by the last four readings seen at key OFF. This cannot increase engine speed while riding but would change the idle RPM, similar to adjusting the throttle stop screw on a carbureted model.
To correct this condition we will be making several changes to the throttle grip sensor to reduce voltage variances and also update the way the calibration’s strategy looks at and records these voltages. Completion of these changes and test validation will take several months.
In the interim we have released revised calibrations in the latest version of Digital Tech to alleviate the high idle concerns for those customers experiencing the condition. The current software version (1.004.001) and details of the changes can be viewed by selecting the What’s New button on the home screen of DTII. This info is also on h-dnet under:
Service>Tools & Equipment Info>DTII>Version Updates-What’s New.
The new calibrations will leave the ECM powered up for 10 seconds after key OFF to complete housekeeping, allowing the rider more opportunity to release the throttle grip, so the throttle control can return to true zero before the ECM power is shutdown. This should eliminate rider induced
zeroing issues. Additionally, the new calibrations will be less sensitive to voltage changes due to an increased dead-band in the operating strategy. Under certain conditions and riding styles some customers may notice a slightly different throttle feel, or comment on reduced engine responsiveness. This is due to the increased dead-band and will feel similar to a loose throttle cable adjustment on non-ETC vehicles. Therefore, we recommend only reflashing vehicles for customers experiencing the high idle concern and wait for the next version calibrations before updating vehicles on a wider scale.[/b]
SE Race Tuner and SE Super Tuner calibrations have not been updated at this time, and reflashing a stock cal over a Tuner cal may only temporarily alleviate the high idle, until you reflash back to a tuner cal. It is recommended anytime you replace ECM, TGS or Reflash the calibration to cycle the Ign.
switch 4 times, waiting 10 full seconds after keying off between cycles, to relearn zero TGS position.

The following warranty credit procedures will apply to domestic dealers only:
Warranty credit will be allowed for reflashing the calibration at the usual rate.
For OE calibrations including CVO, file an MC claim using labor code 7804 for 0.2 hours labor.
For SWR’ed P&A calibrations, file a PNA claim using labor code 8209 for 0.2 hours labor.
Non-registered P&A performance calibrations will require preauthorization for warranty credit.
NOTE: Labor code 8209 is a new code and may need to be downloaded into your system.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 12:16:22 AM by da Gunny »

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »

I need some assistance!
I have a 2008SEUC that was produced before the Heat Management System was installed from MOCO.
I have requested my dealer turn mine on, and as they tried with the download labeled for 96 and 110's, it will not enable from the download. However they have successfully installed from this on the 96 engines.
They are not quite sure how to install this, and have a call into MOCO.
Visiting with them today, they are thinking that to get this download for the 110, it is a "Chargable Download" which means that it may be available but I would have to pay for it!

They are not quite sure how to turn it on.
I know that several of you have had this done.
Which download File was it, and was there a charge for turning it on?

My dealer needs some help from us!

:nixweiss:
Sawyer Ghost

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:14 AM »

My dealer had plugged in the sert or digital tech. thing, then went online to their harley website and looked up new upgrades for 110. He told me that there had been two upgrades since my bike had been made. He then reflashed my computer at no cost to me. I didn't think it would cost anything anyway because it wasn't a stage 1 or anything, just a firmware deal to make the bike run correct. Good luck.

DCC

• Junior CVO Member
    • IA

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTKSE3 Stardust Silver Canyon Copper
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE Phantom Blue Palladium Silver
    • CVO3: 2023 FLTKXSE Dark Platinum
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »

My dealer just turned mine on following the M1213A Service Bulletin.  My bike is also a pre December build (July 07 actually) and it only took about 10 minutes to complete the update.  Throttle roll back now works.

DCC   :apple:
DCC - 2023 FLTKXSE, 2016 FLHTKSE, 2008 FLHX,

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2008, 11:55:26 AM »

Thanks,

DCC,

I will pass this onto my dealer!.

SawyerGhost
Sawyer Ghost

hhckb

« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2008, 09:18:59 AM »

I was informed by my dealer that if a SERT was used, the heat management option is No option. Is this true? 2008 SERK with RH slip-ons and a SE intake. Nonstop decel backfiring. 4 trips to dealer, still not resolved.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 11:18:57 AM »

I was informed by my dealer that if a SERT was used, the heat management option is No option. Is this true? 2008 SERK with RH slip-ons and a SE intake. Nonstop decel backfiring. 4 trips to dealer, still not resolved.

I think you need to find a new dealer...  This one doesn't appear to posses good information or talent.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2008, 11:56:43 AM »

Agree, you need to find a new dealer.  There's an option in the SERT program to turn on the heat management option.  I find it amazing how the dealers in some areas are so clueless to their own product.   And then when you try to enlighten them in to something they should already know, they get belligerent and ask you where did you here this, on the internet?  You can't believe everything you read on the internet.  What a bunch of maroons!!!

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

sawyerghost

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2008, 12:29:06 PM »

Hi All!,

My delaler just turned on with the upgrade the Heat Management System, They first wanted to bill me for the Upgrade, but after checking with MOCO it was authorized to do at NO Charge!
The Charge for this was going to be $150.00

So far,So Good!

SawyerGhost

Sawyer Ghost
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 24 queries.