Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: AJ's Trip to Chief's & Traxxion  (Read 12537 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: AJ's Trip to Chief's & Traxxion
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2008, 08:41:44 PM »

Actually, you're at 9 clicks from full soft. That puts the set screw at 9:00. Full soft is 12:00. I run solo at 7, 9 2-up and loaded.

As far as the resevoirs go, as long as they're on the bottom, rubbing is probable. If they are moved to the top, they don't move with the swingarm and even if they did hit the bags, there isn't any motion to do damage as happens with them on the bottom.

:indian_chief:

And why don't we have them on top where it is much easier to adjust???? :o

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2008, 08:43:34 PM »

Rob, are you getting any rubbing on the bags in as you have them mounted? :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 09:02:02 PM »

I'm corn-fused! :huepfenlol2:  Reservoir should be on the top or bottom, front or back? :nixweiss: ;D  Chuck, which way you got yours?  Also, isn't there more than one adjustment?

Box is here, guess I'll open 'em up and take a look.

Functionally, it doesn't matter. It works either way. I have mine on the bottom, rear. AJ had his mounted that way and got some pretty nasty rubbing. One thing that would possibly help would be to move the SB brackets out a smidge with 1/8" spacer. More clearance may help.

If they are mounted with the resevoir on the bottom, it will move with the swingarm. If it contacts the bags, since it is moving up and down, it could damage the bags. If it is mounted up top, it may hit the bags, but it isn't moving up and down and any damage would be significantly less. Plus, spacing the bags out at the top would benefit the top mounted resevoir most.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:42 PM »

And why don't we have them on top where it is much easier to adjust???? :o

That's where mine were at first, but I flipped them to get the chrome knuckle up top. I do get some rubbing, but not much.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2008, 09:10:54 PM »

Chief,

Here are mine. Can you tell anything about the settings in these pics? Are they good? I'm 180-185 lbs and mama is around 115 (sorry baby) :P.

Looks like 6 clicks to me. That would probably be fine solo. I ride solo on 7 and 9 for trips. Nothing much really changes until you get up to 6 and beyond.

Preload looks pretty good for just you. If you add the wife, I'd add in some more just to make sure you've got enough travel for bumps.

Bike looks clean. Are you riding much?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:01 PM »

Looks like 6 clicks to me. That would probably be fine solo. I ride solo on 7 and 9 for trips. Nothing much really changes until you get up to 6 and beyond.

Preload looks pretty good for just you. If you add the wife, I'd add in some more just to make sure you've got enough travel for bumps.

Bike looks clean. Are you riding much?

Haven't been much lately.

On the clicks and the pre-load, is the pre-load the big chrome nut at the spring and the clicks are on the resevoir? If I want to go to 7-9 clicks would I click the resevoir toward the "H" or the "S"? I'm guessing "H". To add more pre-load, righty tighty?

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 09:20:28 PM »

The way the bags are shaped on the backside, it seems like mounting them the way Robmay has them would be best for avoiding rubbing.  Guess I'll give that a try and see what happens.  These things came with zero preload in 'em, so looks like I'll be following the measuring process outlined in the manual. :-\

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:50 PM »

Rob, are you getting any rubbing on the bags in as you have them mounted? :nixweiss:

Nope. Not that I can see.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:48 PM »

Nope. Not that I can see.

Hey, there's some dirt! :2vrolijk_21:  No scratches, though!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

Haven't been much lately.

On the clicks and the pre-load, is the pre-load the big chrome nut at the spring and the clicks are on the resevoir? If I want to go to 7-9 clicks would I click the resevoir toward the "H" or the "S"? I'm guessing "H". To add more pre-load, righty tighty?

You are correct on both points. :2vrolijk_21: Once you go past 6, you'll begin to feel the resistance increase. Once past 6, it comes up quickly.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 09:31:03 PM »

Good to know. I'm not sure I'm feeling much of a difference now with or with my wife on board. Thanks again Chuck! One way or the other I'll be heading your way for the fronts in a couple of months. Will that be too cold?? :P

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »

The way the bags are shaped on the backside, it seems like mounting them the way Robmay has them would be best for avoiding rubbing.  Guess I'll give that a try and see what happens.  These things came with zero preload in 'em, so looks like I'll be following the measuring process outlined in the manual. :-\

Mounted like that, the resevoir sits close to the edge of the shock recess, hitting right on the corner, running up and down for an inch or two.

I just check both of my bags and I have rubbing on the right bag only. It starts about 4 inches from the top edge of the bag and the rub is about 2 inches long. It's through all layers of the paint and into the plastic of the bag some.

If you run with a stabilizer, I would assume there would be less chance of rubbing as there would be less lateral movement of the rear wheel.

Hmmmmm. maybe it's time to get one of the Bagger Braces. :nixweiss:

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »

Good to know. I'm not sure I'm feeling much of a difference now with or with my wife on board. Thanks again Chuck! One way or the other I'll be heading your way for the fronts in a couple of months. Will that be too cold?? :P

Perfect weather. November and December are great riding months up here.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »

This is where you'll notice the rubbing with the reservoirs bottom rear.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 09:38:57 PM »

Mounted like that, the resevoir sits close to the edge of the shock recess, hitting right on the corner, running up and down for an inch or two.

I just check both of my bags and I have rubbing on the right bag only. It starts about 4 inches from the top edge of the bag and the rub is about 2 inches long. It's through all layers of the paint and into the plastic of the bag some.

If you run with a stabilizer, I would assume there would be less chance of rubbing as there would be less lateral movement of the rear wheel.

Hmmmmm. maybe it's time to get one of the Bagger Braces. :nixweiss:

There's probably enough variability in the tolerance stackup on these bikes that will result in one bike (or one side of one bike) rubbing and another not.  I may have to "clay" my shocks/bags to see where I'm at and then shim accordingly, if necessary.  Thanks for all the tips/comments Chuck and Rob!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 26 queries.