Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR4 fuel valve  (Read 2851 times)

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
FXR4 fuel valve
« on: August 15, 2008, 12:41:00 PM »

The diaphram is leaking and I wonder lf I use a Pingel High flow non vaccuum valve (since I have one) would be OK.I dont want to damage the bike in any way.

RedFXR2

Re: FXR4 fuel valve
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »

Functionally the Pingel will work just fine.  Be sure to remember to turn the handle to the "off" position when you park the bike since the vacuum diaphragm won't be there to look out for you.

There might be another problem, however.  I tried to do this same thing a while back and discovered that the Pingel wouldn't fit.  It screws into the tank just fine, but it's larger than the stock petcock, and the direction of the outlet nipple, coupled with the size, meant that the fuel line interfered with the choke cable mount on top of the coil.  The fuel line must take a 90 degree right hand turn immediately after the nipple and the fuel line interferes against the coil mount quite hard.   If you turn the Pingel clockwise, to move the outlet nipple away from the coil, the bat handle will then be difficult to access under the tank.

Also, the outlet nipple on the Pingel is larger diameter than stock, meaning you can either stretch the stock fuel line hose over the Pingel (hope it doesn't split) or get an aftermarket fuel line (must search for a 90 degree bend at the right place) and then have it too loose at the carb and squeeze the excess width over the carb fuel nipple.

Anyway, I finally gave up on the Pingel, rebuilt my stock petcock and all has been well since.  except for the expensive lesson I learned on the Pingel.  It's a nice piece, just wouldn't fit my bike's layout.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:34:03 PM by RedFXR2 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »

REDFXR2,

You are awesome.....you always do a great job stating the position clearly and have the "knowledge" to articulate it accurately....you are invaluable to all of us....I really mean this....your post above is a perfect example.....and if I personally end up rambling something a bit off...you are skilled in redirecting one back to a better solution....

You provided an awesome tip here. 

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

elvislee

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:12:09 PM »

REDFXR2,

You are awesome.....you always do a great job stating the position clearly and have the "knowledge" to articulate it accurately....you are invaluable to all of us....I really mean this....your post above is a perfect example.....and if I personally end up rambling something a bit off...you are skilled in redirecting one back to a better solution....

You provided an awesome tip here. 

:2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

Well said Tim...I agree  :2vrolijk_21: Ya know...I read this post a while back and I thought I saw where you had posted a PN for this fuel valve re-build kit...Is that correct Mike? While I have the tank off and am replaceing the fuel line; I might as well re-build the fuel valve while I'm there...I know the fuel line is bad; think I should do a re-build on the valve also (I think so, can't hurt can it)? Any thoughts?  :2vrolijk_21:

OK...NEW UPDATE...I just found the PN for the fuel valve kit...Just got off the phone with my soon to be parts girl niece at the dealer and she has ONE in stock...So, I'll pick that up today and can add that to my list...Thanks fella's
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:47:20 PM by elvislee »

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »

Thanks again you have helped me several times.
GREGG

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »

I have a Pingel on all my carb'd bikes. Fits just fine and pipes diectly to a Super E, which is my carb of choice. There's one (with a Super E of course) on my BLUE3 now too! Pics to follow! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »

I have a Pingel on all my carb'd bikes. Fits just fine and pipes diectly to a Super E, which is my carb of choice. There's one (with a Super E of course) on my BLUE3 now too! Pics to follow!

I know they're very popular.  Different model Pingel, maybe?  Something different about the S&S carb?  I doubt the 3 is configured any differently from the 2.  Who knows.  :nixweiss:

Looking back on  it, I even played with the idea of spacers under the coil/choke cable mount somewhow to move it outboard enough to use the Pingel.  I had finally found a suitable fuel hose at J&P cycles that I could cut to length.  At some point I stood up and thought about the stock petcock rebuild kit that (at the time) cost $8.50 and wondered why I was trying so hard to use an expensive aftermarket petcock.  I mean where was the gain?  Nothing was wrong with my stock unit at the time--I had just cleaned some gunk out of the tank/filter screen/petcock and just had the itch to"upgrade" I guess. ::)

Anyway, I got the cheap HD rebuild kit, dismantled my stock unit, cleaned it inside and out and installed the new diaphragm and all has been well since.  The stock petcock sure worked smooth and easy after the cleaning up, too.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 03:34:50 PM by RedFXR2 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »

I know they're very popular.  Different model Pingel, maybe?  Something different about the S&S carb?  I doubt the 3 is configured any differently from the 2.  Who knows.  :nixweiss:

Looking back on  it, I even played with the idea of spacers under the coil mount somewhow to move it ouboard enough to use the Pingel.  I had finally found a suitable fuel hose at J&P cycles that I could cut to length.  At some point I stood up and thought about the stock petcock rebuild kit that (at the time) cost $8.50 and wondered why I was trying so hard to use an expensive aftermarket petcock.  I mean where was the gain?  Nothing was wrong with my stock unit at the time--I had just cleaned some gunk out of the tank/filter screen/petcock and just had the itch to"upgrade" I guess. ::)

Anyway, I got the cheap HD rebuild kit, dismantled my stock unit, cleaned it inside and out and installed the new diaphragm and all has been well since.  The stock petcock sure worked smooth and easy after the cleaning up, too.

Oh but the chrome Pingels look so pretty. If ya hop up the motor, you need a larger fuel line and higher flow petcock anyway. I know me, so it went on now! ;)

Jim did space out the coils, but not for the Pingel. He did that to mount the dual Dyna Coils for the Single-fire ignition, and fit them under the stock cover. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:58:23 PM »

Oh but the chrome Pingels look so pretty.

LOL.  That they do.  Maybe that's why I tried so hard to make it work.  They make the stock ones look downright homely.  But bottom line was that the stock unit would function and the Pingel was going to require a domino effect of other tweaking and mods in order to get it situated.  At some point, I just decided it wasn't worth it.

You can read the mods I've done tomy motor and I've never starved it for fuel with the stock petcock.  Now I do realize that you are known as "horsepower Howie" ( ;D) and I wouldn't doubt that you may create a motor in Joy that will require a higher flow rate.  Hey, I look forward to reading about it. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:00:44 PM »

LOL.  That they do.  Maybe that's why I tried so hard to make it work.  They make the stock ones look downright homely.  But bottom line was that the stock unit would function and the Pingel was going to require a domino effect of other tweaking and mods in order to get it situated.  At some point, I just decided it wasn't worth it.

You can read the mods I've done tomy motor and I've never starved it for fuel with the stock petcock.  Now I do realize that you are known as "horsepower Howie" ( ;D) and I wouldn't doubt that you may create a motor in Joy that will require a higher flow rate.  Hey, I look forward to reading about it. :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks Mike!!! Ooooo, I like that!!! :2vrolijk_21:

HeHe! That's a story for another time! I just blew the entire $750 budget on her already!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.