Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: 56FLE makes a pit stop in Bellingham  (Read 8869 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: 56FLE makes a pit stop in Bellingham
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2008, 01:43:37 AM »

Sad day at the Rooster's place today, Salem HD is still talking with MOCO regarding new motor or just more bandaids. The Mechanic says the crank has 7 thousands runout and was puzzled why the oil pump gear cracked. Hope the MOCO does the right thing but I am not holding my breather. I'll know more tomorrow.

That's a bad pic, maybe try lemon route if they don't get it done.  Trade to a 2009 :2vrolijk_21:  Good luck either way.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Good news, MOCO authorized a new motor, the dealer should get the motor later this week.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »

Good news, MOCO authorized a new motor, the dealer should get the motor later this week.
What was the damage John? Any arm twisting needed?

Howie

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »

That is good news, glad to hear they are taking care of you. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 07:43:26 PM »

John,

Great news, hope you can find some fun things to do in the mean time.

Roger

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2008, 12:03:30 AM »

What was the damage John? Any arm twisting needed?

Howie

Howie,

Damage, well Thursday last week the motor broke a lifter into three large pieces and unknown little ones. Yakima HD replaced the SE255 cams, all 4 lifters, and the oil pump. They took off the oil pan and cleaned out the small bits and then sent me on my way.

When I talked to Salem HD I told them all this and when the SM first talked to MOCO warranty dept. he did not tell them that the oil pan had been removed and cleaned. MOCO originally just wanted Salem HD to clean the oil pan and replace the oil pump, once the SM told MOCO that the oil pan had been removed last Thursday, the MOCO decided to replace the motor. The Cam plate had a big mark where the oil pump spins and the oil pump gear had been cracked. The rear cylinder was tiger striped according to the mechanic and I think after looking at all the pieces together the MOCO had no room to wiggle out of replacing the motor.

After 24,500 miles it is going to be really nice to have a new motor with all the upgrades including the new heads. I am a very happy camper today.
 :bananarock: :jalapeno: :pepper:

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2008, 12:44:27 AM »

Rooster and me shopping for a new engine for my SERK.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2008, 12:48:56 AM »

This one should work, just need to figure out the engine mounts.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »

Rooster and me shopping for a new engine for my SERK.

When are you heading towards SC?
AJ

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2008, 01:45:50 AM »

When are you heading towards SC?
AJ

AJ,

First I need to get the bike back on the road, all these problems have really screwed up my plans, I needed to get back to Texas for personal business then needed to get the bike back to Grand Rapids Michigan before Oct. I'm scheduled to go back out to S.E. Asia Oct 2nd. Summer is coming to an end :( and I am running out of time. The breakdowns have taken there toll on my trip plans.

I'm not sure I'll make it through SC in Sept but I never rule out anything completely. 

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »

John is headed to Crater Lake and then back up the coast to do some site seeing in a car, not sure of his route but I am sure he won't be disappointed. Should be back on Friday or Saturday A.M. to pick up his bike and get back in the wind. I am sure he is more than ready.
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2008, 09:27:09 PM »

Howie,

Damage, well Thursday last week the motor broke a lifter into three large pieces and unknown little ones. Yakima HD replaced the SE255 cams, all 4 lifters, and the oil pump. They took off the oil pan and cleaned out the small bits and then sent me on my way.

When I talked to Salem HD I told them all this and when the SM first talked to MOCO warranty dept. he did not tell them that the oil pan had been removed and cleaned. MOCO originally just wanted Salem HD to clean the oil pan and replace the oil pump, once the SM told MOCO that the oil pan had been removed last Thursday, the MOCO decided to replace the motor. The Cam plate had a big mark where the oil pump spins and the oil pump gear had been cracked. The rear cylinder was tiger striped according to the mechanic and I think after looking at all the pieces together the MOCO had no room to wiggle out of replacing the motor.

After 24,500 miles it is going to be really nice to have a new motor with all the upgrades including the new heads. I am a very happy camper today.
 :bananarock: :jalapeno: :pepper:
Well John, sh!tty luck with the motor crapin' itself but..... a new motor with better heads could be just what the doctor ordered  ;)

So tell me... how do I do this to my motor so as to get the replacement  :oops:   :nixweiss:   :coolblue:

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2008, 10:17:45 AM »

Dropped John off in Salem yesterday to pick up his rental Charger. Got kinda chilly last night hope he didn't get to cold. Soon as I hear from him will report.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Got the bike back today. Only bad thing is I now have to break it in again. More difficult 2nd time around.

Howie,

The Yakima WA HD mechanic said he has never seen a lifter roller fail in a twin cam motor so I'm a first. When he put it back together, he cleaned all he could, oil pan, cam area, then replaced the cams, lifters, and oil pump. Motor still had stuff in the cases or oil passages because after the oil pump locked up 3 days later the Salem HD mechanic didn't find and metal until the was agreed the motor was going to be replaced, then all oil lines, oil filter area, and oil cooler where flushed and he found yet another smaller roller bearing which had the Salem HD shop replaced just the oil pump I would have probably made another few days before the motor had problems.

Maybe the lifter was defective from day one, who knows, maybe these motor need more rest between long runs. Since I have been on extended vacation all spring and summer, the bike has not had much of a rest, I average 157 miles a day.

The motor feels just like any new motor, it needs miles to loosen it up a bit, the first 30 is really tough if you don't have a good long hill to motor up and then engine break down. I found a nice long hill just outside Silverton 9 miles west of Salem so I could at least put a reasonable load on the rings both during acceleration and deceleration.

I am happy that the MOCO did the right thing but they really had little choice, the crank had 7 thousands runout, the oil pump gear was cracked and jammed into the housing, the mechanic thought the runout on the crank caused it. The rear cylinder had 7 thousands sleeve movement. It still needed the recall done as well according to the HD web site.

Add it all together plus the fact that it had just broke three days earlier and MOCO decided it was cheaper to replace it then keep paying for multiple warranty claims.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2008, 01:46:40 AM »

John,

You got a wash job too from the looks of it.

Glad it all has worked out, you'll still have a new motor for the Hood River run next summer :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 26 queries.