Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: from WISN in Milwaukee - Harley Recalls 2008 Bike Models  (Read 1012 times)

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
from WISN in Milwaukee - Harley Recalls 2008 Bike Models
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

Harley Recalls 2008 Bike Models
No Local Reports Of Problems

MILWAUKEE -- Thousands of bikers from around the world will be in Milwaukee one week from now to celebrate Harley’s 105th anniversary, but with a recall of many 2008 model bikes sandwiched around the celebration it could snag preparations for some at Harley headquarters.

The House of Harley on Layton Avenue is one of the largest dealers in Southeastern Wisconsin and will be an all-service station for thousand of bikers during the 105th anniversary celebration.

Local bikers are rushing in this week to get their screws tightened ahead of out of towners.

“Next week is strictly devoted to the rally people. All of the out of town bikers and people that come in -- if they get stranded -- we're here to help them,” said Keith Lewis from the House of Harley.

Aside from normal repairs, bikers who own the new 2008 touring models, those that were made between May of 2007 through December 2007, are getting recall notices in the mail.

Harley said they may experience a cracking of the fuel filter shell, which creates a potential problem.

"Some of them are rupturing, causing a loss of fuel pressure. In the instance, the bike will start and run. It'll Idle but you won't have any acceleration. The bike will sputter and spit and you won't be able to drive it," Lewis said.

It's a small part but an important part that cost about $15. It is not likely but Mechanics are concerned it could lead to a crash if not checked. Owners of a 2008 model should look for a notice from Harley.

Locally, there have not been reports of a bike or person being crippled because of the defective fuel filter shell but all of those 2008 tour models are being recalled for inspection.

Meantime preparations for the 105th anniversary are moving right along.

"We're shutting down Layton Avenue from 60th street to about where 63rd would be just past our west drive ways and it's going to be vendors and food and entertainment. We have a lot of really special things going on," said Brooke Pape of House of Harley.

The celebration kicks off at 35th and Highland next Wednesday with American Idol singer Amanda Overmeyer providing the entertainment.

link to the website: http://www.wisn.com/news/17247056/detail.html
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

FLHTCUSE3 Erling

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Wife
Re: from WISN in Milwaukee - Harley Recalls 2008 Bike Models
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

Just want everybody to know that the House of Harley in Milwaukee is the best dealership I have had the pleasure of dealing with.
Ride safe!

2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey Fade (Sold May 2021)
2017 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2021)
2014 FLSTNSE (Sold Sep 2018)
2014 FLHTKSE (Sold Apr 2018)
2012 FLHTCUSE7 (Sold Jul 2014)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 (Sold Mar 2020)
2008 FLHTCUSE3 (Sold Jul 2011)
2003 FLHTCUI (Sold Apr 2008)
2003 FLHRCI (Sold Feb 2007)
1998 FLSTS (Sold Sep 2005)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: from WISN in Milwaukee - Harley Recalls 2008 Bike Models
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 10:51:28 PM »

Just an FYI for 08 owners.  I received the recall letter for the fuel filter housing replacement and took my Street Glide in.  After about 15 mins the Service Manager came out and told me that they didn't need to replace mine because I already had the new one installed.  Apparently, owners of 08 that were built around the changeover to the new filters got letters from the MoCo...so look at build date of your bike and compare it to the date in the letter.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 20 queries.