Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st service done, results  (Read 1178 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
1st service done, results
« on: June 27, 2005, 03:53:31 PM »

Had the bike in for its 1st service, a little late though, 2600 miles. $241 and the oil was already changed.
3 hours labor to do 1 adjustment (primary) and visually inspect whatever else they look at. No discount for not having to change the oils.

When I was in the automotive field (new car dealers) I always felt the “services” we performed were a rip off, doesn’t seem much different with the bikes.

Most of  my list of concerns were just blown off as being normal:
Pings
check engine light
hard start
drive belt noise when hot (they sprayed silicone on it)
wobble (neck bearings were only checked with the “fall away” test)
end caps on the pipes rough
gas gauge off, and I asked them to set the gauge to read 1/8 of a tank at the level I brought it in at, they didn’t.

I pretty much got what I expected so at least I am not disappointed[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: 1st service done, results
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »

Had the bike in for its 1st service, a little late though, 2600 miles. $241 and the oil was already changed.
3 hours labor to do 1 adjustment (primary) and visually inspect whatever else they look at. No discount for not having to change the oils.

When I was in the automotive field (new car dealers) I always felt the “services” we performed were a rip off, doesn’t seem much different with the bikes.

Pings
check engine light
hard start
gas gauge off, and I asked them to set the gauge to read 1/8 of a tank at the level I brought it in at, they didn’t.

I pretty much got what I expected so at least I am not disappointed[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Porthole, what's the name of the dealership that did your service?    [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 06:26:14 PM »

I had the same problem with my belt being noisy when hot. I noticed this not long after having a new tire put on. I checked the belt tension and it was tight. I set it to the loose side of spec and it's quiet now.
MObe

pappy2

• Full CVO Member
  • Screamin Chicken Hatched 5/13/05
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 11:37:52 PM »

I had the service dept put on the chrome bits during the 1K service on the controls and got the bike back with the right control hanging at least and inch off the end of the handle bar.  Took off the end cap because it looked wierd, saw the huge space and adjusted the thing.  This is after I introduced myself through a friend to the dealer GM and the service manager in hopes that they would actually pay attention to my bike.  Total Friggin Idiots is best I can come up with.  I bought a lift and plan on never letting them see the bike again.  Just my two cents but it is my ass in the seat and I just don't trust them.  JP [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
05 Screamin Chicken, D&D FatCats, Kuryakyn Wild things Crusher build (Heads t46g cam Hi five AC) SERT Kuryakyn Panacea lights and funky extended brake pedal.

Triumph Rocket III - Pipes, Bags and JM music living with my dad for now

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 04:59:57 AM »

Pings
check engine light
hard start

I am in the same boat right now. I turn wrenches for a living and its hard for me to swallow what dealerships charge to change fluids and inspect the bike. Whos to say that all they do is change the oils,check for leaks and ride it around the block to see if the wheels dont fall off.  I was pressed for time when coming home from Nigeria on R&R that I changed the oils myself. The bike seems to run fine with no noises. I am right at the 2000 mile mark so when I get home this next time I will let them service the bike.This way if I have a problem  with the bike then they wont look so hard when its time to cover it under warranty.

In case anyone thinks that HDs are expensive GE charges $180.00 straight time for my labor. If you wanted me to change the fuel nozzles in your gas turbine and install new ones I would charge you $500,000.00 for parts and labor. Yea thats right! Half a million dollars!

[smiley=cry2.gif]  [smiley=oops.gif]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 05:02:16 AM by MAVERICK »
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 08:15:46 AM »

....  Just my two cents but it is my ass in the seat and I just don't trust them.  JP [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Pappy2,  I just paid a mechanic to go over my bike with a fine tooth comb, thats how much I did not trust the folks that had been in my bike for it's first service.  And the proof that they did two sabotage things, some sloppy things, some down right lazy and unaceptable things was found.  It is all right now!  It did cost me.

Now, of course I will never go back to that particular HD store for service. But after paying all the money, I now have the confidence that my bike is right on as good as it can be.  

I just powered the heck out of it in the mountains in VA last weekend for over 800 miles and not once did I question that the machine would fail me.  It is sad that we pay the money to not get service done right or at all. I still believe that there are HD dealerships doing it right. It is up to us to search them out, give them our money and let the others just non-service themselves right out of business.  It is kinda a bit easier for me to say this of course, cause I have many dealerships all around me.  But I am asking customers of them what there experience is before I will let any of them touch my bike again. I also am going to talk to the service manager to let them know that never again do I want my bike to be the learning machine for a mechanic.  Let their mechanics go to school or learn on someone else's bike. I don't want my bike to be the mechanics first look at a 103 engine.  I can go somewhere else, but I don't ever again want to fear that my machine will fail due to the lack of compentance of a wrencher I am paying to work on my bike.  JMHO, of course.  

Now, lets get together and ride, darn it.  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 10:13:40 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.