Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: FXR4 Numbers  (Read 5475 times)

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
FXR4 Numbers
« on: August 25, 2008, 02:43:15 PM »

I am wondering how the fxr4's built.I have an orange one and I am in the market for a yellow one.I noticed the the VIN's are in no order.316 orange and 664 yellow I know but were the orange built first last or in the middle.The few orange one's I now of the numbers are from 100 to amost 200 different.I just looked at a yellow one on ebay the there's also a gap in the numbers.Any help would be great.Could they have been built in no order at all ?
Thanks

RedFXR2

Re: FXR4 Numbers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:25:45 PM »

We know the quantities built by color but breaking each color down into a range or series or random list of VIN's is a whole different thing.  I think someone would have to have a "mole" in the MoCo to go through manufacturing records and compile a list of VIN's by color like you're looking for.  I would think it would have made sense to build all of one color then build all of the other, but who knows for sure?  Again, you'd need access to HD majufacturing records down to the build sheets for each bike.  I don't think HD is going to go to the trouble of putting that together for us.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

I've been told that they make various color bikes of the same models throughout the year. Model VIN's are in order to a degree, but you can't go by numerical sequence to determine model by color. Like Mike said, someone would have to pull records for that. When you combine the 2 colors per model they should be in numerical order, barring any anomolies. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »

they should be in numerical order, barring any anomolies. ;)

And we can rest assured the MoCo would NEEEEEEEVVVVEEEERRRRRR deal in anomolies. ;D

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:23:08 PM »

yellow 4's were produced in first half of year 2000 and tangerine units 2nd half of year.
red fxr2's first qtr...stone cold blue 2nd qtr. of 99
green fxr3's  3rd qtr...blue units 4th qtr. of 99.

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »

Could be true.  The frame decal on my red FXR2 says it was built in March of 1999.  Anybody else want to look at their labels and state the build month/bike model?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:03:13 PM »

yellow 4's were produced in first half of year 2000 and tangerine units 2nd half of year.

If that's the case, they can't be numeric at all. These were the only models of these bikes, with their own FXR VIN's, and they're still not in sequence. I guess we'll never know why or how HD does things!!! Why are we trying to figure it out anyway? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »

Could be true.  The frame decal on my red FXR2 says it was built in March of 1999.  Anybody else want to look at their labels and state the build month/bike model?

The ol' blue hot rod rolled off in August '99 . . . There goes that theory! :nixweiss: ::) :P

SEFXR4

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »

My frame sticker states build date to be 11-99 and the last 3 digits are 615 ????

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 05:46:03 PM »

My frame sticker [tangerine FXR4] states build date to be 11-99 and the last 3 digits are 615 ????

So tangerine, model year 2000 FXR4's were in production in November of 1999. Maybe they made the tangerine ones first instead of last?  Or else HD made these up well in advance of release?  :nixweiss: 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 05:54:26 PM by RedFXR2 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »

build date, release date..not the same. i bought my first tangerine new from fl. dealer..and was not sold till 2nd half of 2000 along w/ most others. but don't have it now..so can't check label. even now ..they are released at different times of the year by color.

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »

My frame sticker states build date to be 11-99

build date, release date..not the same. i bought my first tangerine new from fl. dealer..and was not sold till 2nd half of 2000 along w/ most others. but don't have it now..so can't check label. even now ..they are released at different times of the year by color.

I understand the difference between build date and release dates, but that means that Greggs Tangerine FXR4 was built in November of 1999.  And then you bought a Tangerine FXR4 new from the dealer in the second half of 2000.  If they were manufactured at about the same time, it would mean that HD stored these bikes (hundreds of them) for almost a year before releasing them to dealers?  Limited CVO bikes with no Production model competition?  Certainly possible, but if so, it's another of those "HD things" that don't necessarily make good sense.  Or maybe at least have some explanatory story behind them.  Why would HD rather hold onto them than sell them?  And why would they make them up so far ahead of the intended release date knowing they were going to store them?

A few posts back, Howie wondered why we wanted to know this and I would have agreed with him, but now it seems like a bit of a mystery to figure out.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:23:06 PM by RedFXR2 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

i just checked my blue fxr3 ..sticker. built 07 99.  must have been one of the last units made..since  they shut down in july to switch over for new model year.  between hd holding these for release.if so, and dealers hiding em from us till a certain date..it don't surprise me. when these cvo's were released , i paid alot of attention to the colors and if you notice first color of each model had more units built than 2nd color..not really sure why. 99 was sure busy year for hd. 2 different models in  4 colors of cvo's.

RedFXR2

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »

i just checked my blue fxr3 ..sticker. built 07 99.

My frame sticker [tangerine FXR4] states build date to be 11-99

..since  they shut down in july to switch over for new model year.  between hd holding these for release.if so, and dealers hiding em from us till a certain date..it don't surprise me. when these cvo's were released ,  99 was sure busy year for hd. 2 different models in  4 colors of cvo's.

Don't forget gregg's FXR4 from November of '99.  That makes all 3 models of CVO FXR's in (probably) all six colors built in 1999.  The more I think about it, it might make sense.  HD might have built all the CVO FXR's in one run.  These bikes certainly must have been simpler to assemble than say, the baggers that came later.  With no paint problems (Remember those on the baggers?   What year?) to slow them down, familiar EVO motors and transmissions, simple electronics, and the total number of CVO FXR's at 2565, they might have built all of them to get them out of the way and to "warm up" the newly established CVO line.

For that matter, I wonder if there are any 1999 FXR2's with a date label of 1998 on them?  HD may have gotten a head start.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:02:47 PM »

My bike was delivered in Aug of '99. How is it, or those others made after 7/99, even '99 models? Wouldn't it normally be the next model year by Aug? :nixweiss:

This is making my head hurt!!! :stars: :stars: :stars: ;D

Hoist! 8)

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.