Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 SERK Stock Mufflers are these the same as the 08 Screamin Eagle mufflers  (Read 2958 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448769838&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309265770&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374309265770&bmUID=1220187309833&bmLocale=en_US

I'm trying to choose between the Supertrapp SE and the 08 screaming eagle 4" mufflers that HD offers. I have a seller w/ the OEM mufflers off his 08 SERK telling me that his mufflers are the exact same as HD now offers as Screamin Eagle.

Bottom line what would you choose the HD Screaming Eagle or the Supertrapp SE?

TIA,
John 08 FLHR
JR

MobileAGBell

• CVO1: 2013 110th Anniv SE Road King
Re: 08 SERK Stock Mufflers are these the same as the 08 Screamin Eagle mufflers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

I recently installed a set of SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers on my 08 SERK. They are not the same as the stock 08 SERK mufflers.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:55:55 AM »

Thanks for the info :orange: I see that many folks on Ebay are spending probably more for the used CVO non Screaming Eagle II 4" mufflers than what you could buy them new for. You just save me $$ which I really like.

My questions is that are you really pleased with the sound of the Performance Touring Mufflers w/4" or if you had to do it again perhaps you might consider somthing else (like the Supertrapp SE) Mufflers.

I really like the looks of the 4" HD SE II Performance Mufflers w/ the fishtales  as I believe the complete fishtale is open vs the Supertrapp Fishtale that just has a round hole at the rear and the top of the tale is solid.

I recently installed a set of SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers on my 08 SERK. They are not the same as the stock 08 SERK mufflers.
JR

MobileAGBell

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »

The SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers are louder than the CVO mufflers. It is very noticeable at idle and really noticeable under throttle. They are sweet-sounding when you whack the throttle. They are a bit "blatty" sounding while cruising on the freeway. I bought mine to complement the SE Heavy Breather and the Race Tuner Pro installed on my SERK. I don't have any experience with the Supertrapp setup but I find the SE cans plenty loud enough for me.

Remember that the end caps are additional on the SE cans. I installed the billet slash end caps and that added another $130 to the project.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

I just went to the dealer today to order the SE II 4" mufflers and he said that he would not sell them to me as there just as quiet as stock and has complaints from other customers.

So now I do not know what my next move will be ;-)

Thanks

The SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers are louder than the CVO mufflers. It is very noticeable at idle and really noticeable under throttle. They are sweet-sounding when you whack the throttle. They are a bit "blatty" sounding while cruising on the freeway. I bought mine to complement the SE Heavy Breather and the Race Tuner Pro installed on my SERK. I don't have any experience with the Supertrapp setup but I find the SE cans plenty loud enough for me.

Remember that the end caps are additional on the SE cans. I installed the billet slash end caps and that added another $130 to the project.
JR

MobileAGBell

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

Chicago HD? Ask them how many 08 SERKs they have sold and installed the SE Performance Touring cans on. Ask them to call you the next time an 08 SERK (or any 110) that has them or other cans installed is in for service so you can hear them. Something doesn't sound right (no pun intended). Ask your dealer for a recommendation.

Good luck in your search.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 08:23:17 AM »

Yup CHD, fwiw I'm only running 08  96" RK. I really like the looks of the SE II 4" mufflers w/ the fishtales. I have been unable to find a 08 96" that is running them to listen to nor even find a RK with the fishtales.

What I'm after is deep bass at idle and not too loud when on the highway. I had the Rinehart TD on my 03 SERK which sounded great in town when I wanted to make noise but on the highway soo became a PITE (Pain in the ears) on the highway.

One more question, I'm looking for a %20 off dealer outside of IL?

Thanks again
JR

MobileAGBell

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »

NewRoc HD, New Rochelle, NY, (914) 632-6743 NewRocParts.com advertises "up to 20% off" in American Iron magazine. I have no experience buying from them. Be sure to factor in your shipping costs. And if you need to return something, return costs as well. That IL tax might not be such a bad deal.

Good luck.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »

IL tax is over %10 so out of state may be a few $$ cheaper
JR

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »

The louder Screamin' Eagle pipes were discontinued in 2006.  They are not EPA approved and have a stamp on them that says something to the affect that it's for non road use only.  If it's noise you are after you won't find it in the 07 or 08 HD parts catalog.  I'd recommend finding an 06 catalog to look at the pipes you want and find them used on eBay.  The good news is, those pipes were made by SuperTrapp and are still available from them.  You may be able to call them with a discontinued part number to see what they are offering if you are looking for new.  If something says it won't fit the 07 or newer that's only due to EPA and will fit just fine (don't know about 09 though with the new frame and header pipe)
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 11:06:55 AM »

Thanks but its not really noise I'm after although I like the deep bass sound.

John

The louder Screamin' Eagle pipes were discontinued in 2006.  They are not EPA approved and have a stamp on them that says something to the affect that it's for non road use only.  If it's noise you are after you won't find it in the 07 or 08 HD parts catalog.  I'd recommend finding an 06 catalog to look at the pipes you want and find them used on eBay.  The good news is, those pipes were made by SuperTrapp and are still available from them.  You may be able to call them with a discontinued part number to see what they are offering if you are looking for new.  If something says it won't fit the 07 or newer that's only due to EPA and will fit just fine (don't know about 09 though with the new frame and header pipe)
JR

neocacher

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »

i recently purchased the BASSANNI slip ons for my 2008 SERK.  They have the deep base sound in town (lower gears and at idle)  The can be loud when you rev them up, but are pretty quiet at highway speeds. (i go up to 80 mph cruise).  I ride with my girlfriend and we can have conversations easily on the highway. check them out.

Neo

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 03:14:18 PM »

Thanks I will check them out!

i recently purchased the BASSANNI slip ons for my 2008 SERK.  They have the deep base sound in town (lower gears and at idle)  The can be loud when you rev them up, but are pretty quiet at highway speeds. (i go up to 80 mph cruise).  I ride with my girlfriend and we can have conversations easily on the highway. check them out.

Neo
JR

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.