Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: SE 251 cam in a 110?  (Read 52669 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: SE 251 cam in a 110?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »

Well gentlemen, all this cam talk has got me a little confused. So, let me get this straight, my 07 FLHTCUSE2 came with 255 cams. Ok, I'm bringing it in for the head "upgrade' and the other fixes mentioned in the nice letter (and book) HD sent us.

So, I want to get a littl more out of the beast now that hopefully the oil leak won't be an isssue (key word, HOPE). I'm thinking cam, better lifters, adjustable push rods, roller rockers, and a larger TB if needed. The 251 cam seems to make sense to me (being an old car guy) but I'd appreciate any advice anyone with HD motors (especially the SE 110), can give.

PC

AE,

If you are looking to stay all Harley then you might consider the new Adjustable tapered pushrods or perfect fit.

Lifters should be changed with the change of the cam, cheap insurance as well as the bearings.   Since you have a touring bike you may want to look at just replacing the stock ones with new stock lifters.  The SE are a bit noisier.

The roller rockers I would tell you are not a necessary expense since you will be staying under a .600 lift cam at least if you go with the 251's like you are talking about.   The roller rockers will be noisier on the top end than the stock rockers.

Throttlebody, you might consider buying a 50mm since all the 08's came stock with it,  or go with an aftermarket such as Horse Power Inc

Any chance your dealer will allow you to have the heads looked at for flow before they throw them on, so you can check velocities on them to help insure you dont over buy in size and hurt your overall idea of getting more out of the bike vs. just possibly on the top end?

You shouldnt need larger injectors if you are only doing cam upgrade with supporting parts.  If you decide to do the upgrade and are doing headwork then have your builder set you up with the full combination or heads, cam, throttlebody etc.

Cam considerations if you are doing nothing to the motor other than the cam might be
HD251, Woods 7h, or Freedom YB14SEC07.

Thus far the chain drive in the 07's have held up very well and would caution you to stay with it vs. going to gear drive.   If you are willing to have the crank run out done or are taking the crank out and having it pinned or welded and maybe a timken, then I might consider going gear drive over the new chain.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2008, 01:04:05 PM »

Harry
        Just curious why you recommend the SE251 over the SE257 or SE258 ?

B B

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »

must say I have had a change of heart...humblest apologies to harry for saying that cr590 was too small cam for 110"...if you like rideability, do not use a cam larger than se251...a cam with more than 42* overlap effects what's known as a "low load stumble"...and makes even a 110" less than enjoyable when riding below 60 mph...I have revised my list of suggested bolt-in cams...wood tw-408-44, t-man 525, yuill 14. andrews 44, cr590...and I've surely left a few out
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »

must say I have had a change of heart...humblest apologies to harry for saying that cr590 was too small cam for 110"...if you like rideability, do not use a cam larger than se251...a cam with more than 42* overlap effects what's known as a "low load stumble"...and makes even a 110" less than enjoyable when riding below 60 mph...I have revised my list of suggested bolt-in cams...wood tw-408-44, t-man 525, yuill 14. andrews 44, cr590...and I've surely left a few out

I wouldn't call the CR 595 cam a bolt in for a 110. Too radical timing. Need a lil compression, headwork, and bigger exhaust and TB for it to work well. My bike ran great with it, but nowhere near a stock 110! I won't use it again in my new build though. Using an S&S 625G this time. But I would not recommend the CR 595 at all for just a bolt in!!! And the SE 251 is an excellent bolt in!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »

I run CR 595 cams.  Before I had a proper tune done, I had a low end "lope", but no low end - low load stumble.  After a tune by John Golden/Rolling Thunder Dyno, I have neither a low end lope or stumble.  The bike idles smooth, runs smooth at low speeds and pulls VERY strong.  I agree with Hoists points that the cams require the right throttle body, heads, exhaust and compression ratio (and tune) to run well... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »

Harry
        Just curious why you recommend the SE251 over the SE257 or SE258 ?

B B

BB,

I have not tried runnign the other 2 others you are referencing, but have run the 251 and it ran well for me.  I would still like the torque a tiny bit sooner than even the 251 brings it in, but I am afraid the ramps will be tough on the valve train and noisey.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06:12 PM »

why is cr 595 not bolt-in?...the springs can handle the lift, no valve to piston issues with the tdc lift, generous valve reliefs in piston and as-built negative deck height, the corrected comp is within tolerance...maybe pinion boss and rocker covers need relief, what other issues?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »

why is cr 595 not bolt-in?...the springs can handle the lift, no valve to piston issues with the tdc lift, generous valve reliefs in piston and as-built negative deck height, the corrected comp is within tolerance...maybe pinion boss and rocker covers need relief, what other issues?

All the dyno runs we've done showed these cams, matched with these 110 heads, require gobs of flow! Bigger much TB and exhaust is a must! And lil more compression helps it too. You won't get close to what this cam could give you by just bolting it in. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:32 PM »

no, I say you don't need bigger throttle body for cr595 cams...maybe you've seen my thread where I put horsepower inc tb on my 110'?...my opinion is the best bolt-in cam for 110" is .590" lift, 42* maximum intake close, around 40* overlap....any cam in this range is going to make it's best power before the stock throttle body and heads quit flowing...also, everyone I've seen around here who goes as far as changing cams also upgrades the exhaust and a/c...not trying to argue just sharing my  30 yr EXPERIENCE making h-d's go fast

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:52 PM »

no, I say you don't need bigger throttle body for cr595 cams...maybe you've seen my thread where I put horsepower inc tb on my 110'?...my opinion is the best bolt-in cam for 110" is .590" lift, 42* maximum intake close, around 40* overlap....any cam in this range is going to make it's best power before the stock throttle body and heads quit flowing...also, everyone I've seen around here who goes as far as changing cams also upgrades the exhaust and a/c...not trying to argue just sharing my  30 yr EXPERIENCE making h-d's go fast

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us skyhook! :2vrolijk_21:

I'm not a builder at all. Just an avid enthusiast who's been hanging in my buddy's shop for over 20 years. I'm only speaking from all of my dyno time and experimenting we did on Cybil, and other 110's that we used 251's on milder builds. I'm going by real world testing, not spec sheets. Only know what I've seen personally. So I'll only speak of that. Vern's the builder, not me, so I won't argue with your reasoning. ;)

Hoist! 8)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2008, 10:01:04 AM »

I thought the 110 stock springs could only handle 575 lift or are they able to handle more?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 10:09:10 AM »

I thought the 110 stock springs could only handle 575 lift or are they able to handle more?

The stock springs can handle the 595 but it's right on the edge. Better to change em with the 595's. The 251'd are 579 lift, which is fine. ;)

Hoist! 8)

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »

Hey Howie,

would you suggest the adjustable push rods or the perfect fit. I'm still waiting on my "Upgrade Parts", but my 10.5 pistons and 251 have come in. I was planning on using the perfect fits since the heads are obviously gona bee off.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

Hey Howie,

would you suggest the adjustable push rods or the perfect fit. I'm still waiting on my "Upgrade Parts", but my 10.5 pistons and 251 have come in. I was planning on using the perfect fits since the heads are obviously gona bee off.

I think that anytime you can use a 1-piece pushrod, you're better off. I'd use the perfect fits if I were doing them too. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 11:02:54 AM »

I think that anytime you can use a 1-piece pushrod, you're better off. I'd use the perfect fits if I were doing them too. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Do you have a part number for these? I want to do the 251's as well while the heads are being removed for the 0905 "fix". Is there anything else I will need? And no Howie, I don't need a total engine replacement. I just want to keep this all HD (my money, my choice).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 20 queries.