Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: KC's "new" FXR2  (Read 3735 times)

omgtkk

KC's "new" FXR2
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »

So I finally got it cleaned up and ready for it's pictures and debut.  I purchased this 99 FXR2 two weeks ago from a seller in NY. It has 6200 miles on it and is all original, with the exception of the handlebars, as far as I can tell.   I believe this is the same bike that GFLVette2 looked at and felt it was in 'neglected' condition.  Fortunately, I was in the car business for a few years and worked several wholesale auctions.  That taught me how to look beyond the road dirt to find a hidden gem.  The seller represented the bike as 'mint' which is a little bit of a stretch, but not much.  I just spent 4 hours in the garage with some some good cleaning supplies, metal polish, and wax.  She cleaned up beautifully.

Mechanically, the bike is very solid.  It arrived with an oil leak in the front rocker box cover, and a non-working rear brake light switch, which I just got fixed.  Otherwise, it's cherry.

My first HD was a 1991 FXR convertible.  I loved that bike and only sold it because I injured my back and couldn't ride anymore.  A few years later, after my back got better,  I bought the first of several HD touring bikes and currently own a '08 Road Glide, also maroon metallic.  I've been jonesing for a smaller bike for running around and was checking out some Sportsters when this bike appeared.  I knew that if the price was right I would have to buy it.  So when I was able to grab it for $8200, the deal was done.  I have been enjoying the hell out of it this whole weekend and I'm kinda proud to own it.  I know HD puts out thousands of bikes every year under the guise of being collectible, so that word is pretty meaningless in Harley terms.  But this is the first CVO and there are less than 500 of them out there if I read the story correctly.  Plus, I know I'm riding one of the best bikes HD ever produced.  Most of these guys that are new to HD's don't even know what an FXR is and have never enjoyed driving an Evo powered bike.

Anyhow,  I'm looking forward to being an active participant in this forum.
KC

omgtkk

Re: KC's "new" FXR2
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:45:26 PM »

Another pic

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 07:52:48 PM »

:sweetheart: :love_1: :sweetheart:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »

Welcome aboard omg!!! Great having another new CVO FXR member with us!!! Getting my BLUE3 delivered from CA tomorrow! Can't wait! And keep an eye out for our 10th Anniv CVO FXR GTG next year! Hope to see your new gem sometime!!! Enjoy your new bike and this great site!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:20:04 PM »

So I finally got it cleaned up and ready for it's pictures and debut.  I purchased this 99 FXR2 two weeks ago from a seller in NY. It has 6200 miles on it and is all original, with the exception of the handlebars, as far as I can tell.   I believe this is the same bike that GFLVette2 looked at and felt it was in 'neglected' condition.  Fortunately, I was in the car business for a few years and worked several wholesale auctions.  That taught me how to look beyond the road dirt to find a hidden gem.  The seller represented the bike as 'mint' which is a little bit of a stretch, but not much.  I just spent 4 hours in the garage with some some good cleaning supplies, metal polish, and wax.  She cleaned up beautifully.

. . .

It does take an eye for stuff like that.  If a guy knows what he's doing, it's amazing how stuff can clean up.  Congrats on finding a "diamond in the rough" and welcome to the site! :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

Congrats on getting your FXR2 and welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

elvislee

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »

Welcome, and a nice red FXR2; cleaned up good  :2vrolijk_21:

Speaking of George; haven't heard from George in a while, how are ya doing my friend? Send us some more pics of that BEAUTIFUL Blue FXR3 ya just bought when ya get the chance or just post in and say hello to ALL your friends here...Such a BEAUTIFUL BLUE 3...Semper Fi George!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 09:27:50 PM by elvislee »

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 09:58:02 PM »

Hello All and congratulations to KC. I'm real glad the bike worked out alright for you. Yes that was the bike I saw and the cosmetics were not my concern. But when the sellers shop wouldn't start the bike up what was I to think? And I want you to know that he reached a higher price on e-bay and didn't sell it. So I really do think that you got a really great deal and a great bike. I'm sure you'll have alot of fun riding it.

Best of luck,

George

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »

Sweet looking ride and a classic to boot! Enjoy the heck out of it!

elvislee

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 10:09:24 PM »

Hello All and congratulations to KC. I'm real glad the bike worked out alright for you. Yes that was the bike I saw and the cosmetics were not my concern. But when the sellers shop wouldn't start the bike up what was I to think? And I want you to know that he reached a higher price on e-bay and didn't sell it. So I really do think that you got a really great deal and a great bike. I'm sure you'll have alot of fun riding it.

Best of luck,

George

Hey George, good to hear from ya. I was beginning to think you forgot about us. You been ridin that BEAUTIFUL BLUE 3 a lot? George; you don't need to defend your purachse or non-purchase of anything you buy. You know your reasons and that's good enough for ME! Man, I'm actally a little jealous; OK A LOT jealous  ;D of your BEAUTIFUL BLUE 3 purchase. I'll say it again; ya'll that own these BEAUTIFUL BLUE 3's are ridin the finest, best ridin HD of all time AND...one of, if not the rarest of all (1-64).....DAMN! Ya'll ;D  ;D  ;D...Semper Fi Bro!

omgtkk

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 10:25:58 PM »

George,
I agree, had the bike not started and run well I would have walked on it, even after driving 3 hours to get it.  Whatever that problem was seems to have been resolved as the bike is running very well.  I've went over it in detail this weekend and other than needing the fluids and air filter changed, it's pretty tight.  I'm sure the past owner is kicking himself for not selling the bike when it hit a higher price before.  I got the impression it was a divorce that initiated the sale, so I got lucky with my timing.  If I understand the posts above, it looks like you got a Blue2.  Nice.  Good luck to both of us on our purchases.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 11:08:43 PM »

Yes, It appears that we both are happy with our bikes. Ride safe and enjoy!!!

Blaine, Semper Fi to you my Brother!!!

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »

Welcome aboard.  The only things I see that are non-stock are the handlebars and forward controls, but feel free to make it suit you.  Rocker box leaks are pretty much standard equipment and can be cured--there's a thread here about it.  Again, welcome to the board.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:48:10 AM »

Welcome fron south Florida and congatulations on the find!  Beauty! Don need a little bike too!

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 08:05:56 AM »

Welcome aboard.  The only things I see that are non-stock are the handlebars and forward controls, but feel free to make it suit you.  Rocker box leaks are pretty much standard equipment and can be cured--there's a thread here about it.  Again, welcome to the board.

Mirrors, too, but that looks to be it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.