Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best mounting options for cycle tunes like speakers  (Read 4086 times)

Welshman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Best mounting options for cycle tunes like speakers
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:25 PM »

Have just insatlled a set of cycle tunes new 3inch speakers bought from Milwaukee HD at the 105 Rally . Wanted to ask where would be the best mount for least wind and less distortion . I think I have 3 options on the handlebars

1. On front on either side of the nacelle head
2. On top next to switch housings
3. On bottom next to switch housings
I use a detachable HD full size windshield ( with flames of course )

Appreciate any comments on merits of each position . Also use the collar chrome deflectors andfront fork chrome delectors ( on advise from the forum ) . Also with the vibration I guess lock tite is a must right ?

Gotta tell ya I had a set of 2 inches and the 3" are vastly superior ( they are 100W rated )

Diolch yn fawr iawn ( Thank you very much in welsh ) !!!!!!!
Cymru am byth

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
Re: Best mounting options for cycle tunes like speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:47:29 AM »

Welshman,
You got too take some pictures when you have everything complete. I am jealous..I have the 2 inch speakers they sound good up 45, after that you cant hear them. You have too give us a review of how they sound..I havent seen any mounted on a bike yet, you will be the 1st. Oh Oh Oh so whats your 1st music you going too be playing coming out of those speakers...Let me guess AD/DC....
About using locktite..I have too use it on my 2 inch speakers..where they mount under the mirrors the nut keeps coming lose.
Ride Safe
Michael

Welshman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »

Will do mate

So far so good deceided to install ipod player on the tank easier to change vol tracks etc . Gonna try the set up next to the nacelle first see what that is like . So fay hooked up with T connection so works off acc switch ( without headlights) . Fun the wire under tank as advised no probs . Will post pics asap , gonna try out later .

Thanks for all help michael . Yep tried Livewire first sounded great in garage .
Cymru am byth

Welshman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 03:23:35 PM »

Ride report cycle roads 3inch speakers

Firstly was too distorted out of heaphone socket at 60mph , so tried out of ipod line out but line but was same voltage as headphone ,so when I linked line out of ipod via a headphone volume wheel no difference .

Talked to company  and got lots of advise now it works great .For best sound an volume upto 78mph

1.Have full shield and side chrome deflectors on
2. Position speakers by nacelle
3. ipod settings (made huge difference in less distortion and max volume)
4. In settings set sound check on , eq to acoustic , set volume limit to max ( preset is only 66%) , try downloads or rip at 356.
5. Have the ipod attached at the screw on lower dash , easier to operate ( they supply bracket ) run input lead down side of tank
6. velcro works very well to hold
7. Also can hear with walmart ear plugs if needed

Will post pics when I can get bloody camera to work , so far very happy .

Cymru am byth

Welshman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

For those interested the website is http://www.cyclesounds.com/. The owner is a a bloody nice bloke and very helpful .
Cymru am byth

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »

Sounds like you didnt have any trouble at all. I had too adjust my EQ for the best sound also..Cant wait too see some pictures.
Ride Safe
Michael

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »

Not crazy about the bullet speakers I have, but can't imagine putting spot speakers on instead due to size. But the system right now with those 2" speakers, is virtually useless. Biggest waste of $$$ so far. Might have to think about those larger speakers now. So......
 :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleync

• 2010 Street Glide
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:53:25 AM »

Host..
If I had too do it again I wouldnt do it..But they are on the bike and I use them about 1/10 of the time while riding too the local watering hole or out too eat. If taking a trip I dont even turn them on. Maybe the 3 inch speakers sound better . :nixweiss:
Michael

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 08:59:52 AM »

Host..
If I had too do it again I wouldnt do it..But they are on the bike and I use them about 1/10 of the time while riding too the local watering hole or out too eat. If taking a trip I dont even turn them on. Maybe the 3 inch speakers sound better . :nixweiss:
Michael

Same here man, fully agree! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Welshman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 01:08:59 PM »

I was going to send back but the new ipod settings made a huge difference also upto 70 sounds OK , bit to much treble , just didnt want to go fairing route I love look of the RK and didnt want to spoil it 

Neighbour has the 2inch on a BMW they are no where near as loud as these , he;s upgrading to them . At 80 with ear plugs from traget I can still hear.
Cymru am byth

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »

I have had mine for about a year and a half.  They work great, up to about 70mph with the big windshield and ~50 with no windshield.  I love them.  IPOD settings and recording in larger format makes a big difference as does using the "king size" windshield instead the half windscreen that came on the serk.  I mounted them near the nacel and tried to aim them exactly at my head.  If I am going on a long hiway trip I sometimes use my ERM Isolator earphones which block out all the wind noise and sound fantastic.

I mounted my IPOD in the saddlebag so as not to clutter the handlebar area and to be able to lock it up without taking it apart.  I use the very small IPOD remote as the control and clip it to a beltloop, my jacket or the tab on the back of my seat.  Not as good a sound as an Ultra Classic, but for the look and no fairing I think a good alternative.
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.