Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: I'm With Hub, F Synthetic!  (Read 11952 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: I'm With Hub, F Synthetic!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »

Actually, Howie may be on to something.  One of the things that can occur with dino droppings is thickening at high temps.  When us car folks were dealing with new emission systems and hotter running engines back in the 70's, we had failures where the oil was like jello when we pulled the pan.  The auto makers came up with new motor oil requirements to control this thickening, which the oil industry met with different additive packages, but the natural tendency of dino oil is to thicken when over cooked.  I figure all you need to do is find some SD or SE rated oil (SF is when they added the anti-thickening agents) and as it starts to thicken up you won't notice that drop in oil pressure.  Well, at least until the engine locks up and quits running.

FTWT - SF   (F@*k The Wives Tales - Synthetic Forever)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »

Hoist,

You should know these 110's are sensitive.  All you have to do is crank one up and they break half the time!  :huepfenlol2: :bananarock: :huepfenlol2:

Who you callin sensitive? ;D ;D ;D

Mine is built not to break 1/2 the time, or any time for that matter. Yeah chit breaks, but the common HD 110 failures are a thing of the past on my engine. Don't mean I'm not gonna break it. I'm just dealing with the chit that breaks or I break, and not poor QC or underengineered HD equipment at this point! :2vrolijk_21:

And BTW, nuthin's broke!!! I just didn't like that oil light coming on and seeing the pressure at zero! Just makin a point and what I plan on doing. Ya'll will continue to do what you think is best! But for me, FTS!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Coyote.

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SE Ultra - Buried in the back yard where it belongs.
    • CVO2: Already learned that lesson
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

It gets well over 100 here in CA. If I get caught in traffic, the oil temp will sometimes get to 260 or so. Oil pressure stays up around 10. I'm running Amsoil 20w50. I did have a Fueling oil pump put in on the last tear down. There is nothing wrong with synthetic. Is your oil temp gauge actually reading right? (sensor is in the pan, yes?)  8)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »

I've seen your posts on VTF.... who do you think youre fooling? :huepfenlol2:

Geeeee JC, a guy with 39 post that knows better!
You may fool the insurance company but we know better!
Some of us have ridden with you.
Re; trip to get camera!
 :o :o :o :o :o :o

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »

It gets well over 100 here in CA. If I get caught in traffic, the oil temp will sometimes get to 260 or so. Oil pressure stays up around 10. I'm running Amsoil 20w50. I did have a Fueling oil pump put in on the last tear down. There is nothing wrong with synthetic. Is your oil temp gauge actually reading right? (sensor is in the pan, yes?)  8)

Not basing it on OT, I'm measuring OP with a gauge, and also have the OP warning light. I use a Feuling Oil Pump too. Never had an issue before today except the racket the engine makes with synthetic. Like I said, I was never sold on it. Now I'm pretty sure I'm done trying to be sold on it. Call me old school, but this Dinosaur is going back to my ancestors oil! FTS!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2008, 06:26:13 PM »

OK, just got off the phone with Feuling. According to them, they agree, synthetic turns to water above 235 deg F. Doesn't break down, but gets VERY thin! With a little wear of the OP and camplate, you will see a drop in OP at idle with that stuff. Vern feels that way, Feuling feels that way, Hub feels that way!!! So guess what? Dino's going in next week!!! I'll change it every 2000-2500 and not worry about it breaking down. If the dino doesn't help the idle OP, I'll tear it down in the winter, measure crank runout, and send the camplate and OP back to Feuling to bring it back to spec or have them replaced! That's what ya do when you ride on the edge and break chit! YOU FIX IT AND DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!!! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »

I really wanted to respond tp this thred, but I will wait!!!!

OK Howie when you gonna change and what barad of oil ect ect ect are you going to use?????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »

I really wanted to respond tp this thred, but I will wait!!!!

OK Howie when you gonna change and what barad of oil ect ect ect are you going to use?????

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Mike, either Sat or next week. I'll be using Rev Tech 20-50 dino oil! Or possibly 3 qts of 20-50 with 1/2 qt of 60 wt! ;)

Hoist! 8)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 06:51:22 PM »

I THINK REV TECH MAKES A 25W60 OIL NOW. I have a buddy of mine has a custom shop up here in the mountains and that is what they are using now!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »

I THINK REV TECH MAKES A 25W60 OIL NOW. I have a buddy of mine has a custom shop up here in the mountains and that is what they are using now!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks for the heads up on that Mike! I'll check it out and will prolly give it a try! :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, this motor was broken in with Dino oil. It stayed in  (with frequent changes of course) til 5K on the motor. Just over 11K now on the motor. So this is only the 3rd batch of SynCrap that's been in it! Just hoping it's not too late now is all! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Added: Just checked with Vern. Revtech's been making that for awhile he tells me. But he just uses 3 qts of regular 20-50 and and adds 1/2-1 qt of straight 60 weight to it to top it off! So that's what I'll be doing too!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 07:04:22 PM by Hoist! »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »

So, once you change it out, you'll have to go on the same hellride and then check OT and idle OP, then report back! :2vrolijk_21:

Say, shouldn't you be basing this decision on the percentage of time you spend at idle vs. WOT?!?!? :nixweiss: :confused5: ???

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 08:03:30 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on that Mike! I'll check it out and will prolly give it a try! :2vrolijk_21:

BTW, this motor was broken in with Dino oil. It stayed in  (with frequent changes of course) til 5K on the motor. Just over 11K now on the motor. So this is only the 3rd batch of SynCrap that's been in it! Just hoping it's not too late now is all! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Added: Just checked with Vern. Revtech's been making that for awhile he tells me. But he just uses 3 qts of regular 20-50 and and adds 1/2-1 qt of straight 60 weight to it to top it off! So that's what I'll be doing too!

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do Howie.  Know wut ah mean Vern?   :P

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hayman7712

• Full CVO Member
  • D&D Fatcats, Power Commander 101hp 114ft-lbs tor

• CVO1: 2007 Screamin Eagle Road King
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 08:25:47 PM »

Who you callin sensitive? ;D ;D ;D

Mine is built not to break 1/2 the time, or any time for that matter. Yeah chit breaks, but the common HD 110 failures are a thing of the past on my engine. Don't mean I'm not gonna break it. I'm just dealing with the chit that breaks or I break, and not poor QC or underengineered HD equipment at this point! :2vrolijk_21:

And BTW, nuthin's broke!!! I just didn't like that oil light coming on and seeing the pressure at zero! Just makin a point and what I plan on doing. Ya'll will continue to do what you think is best! But for me, FTS!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist,

This is just my 2nd 07 CVO.  My first one (Cobalt Blue Pale Gold Flames) lasted 3 weeks.  Every other day I was at the Harley shop telling them something was wrong.  Service manager constantly blew me off.  The 3rd time they fixed it, it lasted until the next day.  Then the seas parted and the General Manager asked me if I wanted a new bike! :orange: I said hell fire F yeah.  They then turned around and sold my first one without checking it again to someone else.  The same thing happened.  Now there are lawyers involved.  Turned out the flywheel was shot.  :soapbox: I know chit happens, but after all that, the Service Manager got promoted and I take my bike to a different Stealer.  So far so good after 18 months and only 6700 miles.   ;D  Dean.
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »

I use Amsoil Syn and used Mobil 1 syn brfore that. Love the stuff and won't be changing it out to a hybrid cocktail of 20w-60 with half a shot of espresso and 3/4 of a cup of tomato soup, or whatever the latest trend is. I believe we had a thread that linked all the oils and broke them down. It was done by some pointy heads. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »

I use Amsoil Syn and used Mobil 1 syn brfore that. Love the stuff and won't be changing it out to a hybrid cocktail of 20w-60 with half a shot of espresso and 3/4 of a cup of tomato soup, or whatever the latest trend is. I believe we had a thread that linked all the oils and broke them down. It was done by some pointy heads. Later,Q
:ROFLOL: :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 20 queries.