Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: MOCO complaint thread  (Read 3221 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
MOCO complaint thread
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:01:43 PM »

List your number one complaint that you have against the Harley Davidson company.

bubbling chrome

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: MOCO complaint thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 09:17:03 PM »

Arrogance.  In all the way it manifests the corporations interactions (or lack) with us.  Arrogance.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 09:55:31 PM »

My number one complaint is that the MoCo places style over function in all areas.  I buy a bike to ride, not to sit in the garage staring at it.  It makes no sense to have to throw out and replace thousands of dollars worth of parts to make your motorcycle run, ride, and handle the way it should from the factory.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 11:17:59 PM »

Should be able to order factory performance, communication or ridability packages right from the factory. Option packages like when you buy a car or truck. But that's not a complaint more a suggestion. I have to complain about the amount of seats that Harley has available. Don't these people take the bikes out for some long rides? For the most part they ship the bikes with junk seats. What's up with that? They have to know they are junk considering the  volume of replacements (upgrades?) they have available at the buyers risk. I have been lucky to afford 7 new Harleys over the years. The first one I bought Harley sent a thank-you letter for the purchase. This was right after AMF days. Have not heard a word since. They should ask us what we like or dislike about the product. I know in the past it was take it or leave it. But like the guy said a while back "the times they are a changin". And so is the market.

Road_Glider

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 11:44:12 PM »

I am with you on the chrome issue.  I have been lucky myself but have seen some real problems with the chrome on several friends fairly new bikes.  They ought to take care of that issue for sure.
*Orange and BLack '09 Road Glide w/103

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 01:24:05 AM »

I think it would be nice if they had some sort of quality contol in the paint department.(4 tanks, 3 saddlebags, 4 front fenders, 2 tank inserts, 2 fairing caps.)
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 02:12:57 AM »

I think it would be nice if they had some sort of quality contol in the paint department.(4 tanks, 3 saddlebags, 4 front fenders, 2 tank inserts, 2 fairing caps.)

There it is; "nice... if some sort of quality control" existed.  After all those parts...  The single largest understatement in the recorded history of mankind.

budman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 03:42:16 AM »

The chrome not only bubbles on the new bikes, it bubbles on the replacement parts, mirrors etc...

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 03:58:53 AM »

Man thats scary! I read about all the problems with the bike. So far I have not had any problems because since January it has sat in the garage and collected dust. [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=cry2.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 10:34:07 AM »

Man thats scary! I read about all the problems with the bike. So far I have not had any problems because since January it has sat in the garage and collected dust. [smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=cry2.gif]

Mav it may be that we're a bit better off than many of the others have unfortunately been.  The significantly large proportion of peeling wheels, mirrors, brackets, etc etc etc seems to have struck the 04 bikes to a much greater extent then it did the 05s.  05 problems seem to have been much more isolated occurrences while the 04s had it systemically.  It really sucked for those guys.

Fla_Eagle

• My Harley Hot Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 12:57:08 PM »

I believe they have once again forgotten on which side their bread is buttered. Remember AMF ?
The treatment we get as consumers of HD products is criminal and it will continue until we stop being suckers and shop elsewhere!!
While it is understandable that there will always be some issues, it is how you handle those issues that will ultimately tell the tale. IMHO  HD has failed miseribly in addressing the problems on these very expensive motorcycles.
Regards,Fla Eagle

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:01:42 PM »

Being in the Quality Control field, I can tell as a you about the current trend in the automotive market.  As the big three's margins errode due to rebates, cash back incentives and rising medical insurance, they have seen fit to go after the sub-component supplies for give backs.  That is, they expect these supplies to reduce the component part price by 5-10% year over year throughout the contact period.  

As a result the component supplies are forced to reduce costs as well.  This can come in several forms, with the most common being a cut in part quality.  I believe that HD is in a similar situation with reduced sales and margins.  Are components cheaper....you bet.
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 02:18:10 PM »

I read an article some years back, where Bleustein expressed some concern about Dealers adding $4-5-6000.00 bumps to the MSRP, which they justified, as a "Scarcity Premium."  He stated the MoCo advised against this practice.  "Advised" was too soft a term, for these greedy bastards.  There should have been a memorandum from the MoCo's Dealer Operations, stating that "Excessive pricing will not be tolerated.  Failure to comply will result in the termination of your Dealer Agreement."  Now, the chickens have come home to roost.  Personally, I hope the values go through the floor!  That way I could buy me 3 or 4 more, and ride the hell out of 'em.  That day is fast approaching, too.  The MoCo has failed its stockholders, and us, by not keeping a tight enough grip on the greedy bastards that represent them.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 03:04:51 PM »

Hub....I agree.  But, I think it's not as simple as that.  MSRP is a manufactors SUGGESTED retail price.  I'm not sure legally that the contract between the MOCO and the Dealer would allow them to cancel on that issue, would it?  And not all the Dealers are of the same ilk........some are the real deal.........been in the bizness thru the bad days all the way to now.  And some are just investors/car dealers w/ the GREED FACTOR built right into the bizness practice........where the margins are whatever the mkt. will bear.  Is that not the american way?  And you're right, the pendulum is swinging back to correct these outrageous margins and we'll all maybe live long enough to see our beloved marquee become just like any other vehicle in terms of depreciation and supply/demand.  It's all a mystery to me, but I sure do hope they don't quit making 'em!   Har!    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 04:40:39 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, spyder,
 Maybe we could just agree to disagree, on the MSRP subject.  Your right in that it is "suggested."  However, it's also "suggested" that you pull the rip cord on your parachute at the appropriate time!  MSRP was designed to give the Dealers and Customers, a starting point from which to negotiate down, not up!  You may be right, too, in that excessive pricing may not be illegal, but it does have its penalties. [smiley=cry2.gif]  As the common law of business dictates you cannot pay a little and get a lot, niether will the market continue to pay a lot, and get a little.  You and I will always have Harleys, spyder, no matter what they cost, or what they are worth.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] It's too bad the MoCo's Board doesn't consult with you and me about how that frickin' Company should be run! [smiley=laugh.gif]  We'd straighten their azzes out! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  Later--HUBBARD             
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 04:42:09 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.