Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 SERG Oil Temp  (Read 1328 times)

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
09 SERG Oil Temp
« on: September 25, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »

I have been a bit surprised that this new SERG seems to run as hot as it does. I don't have much experience with HD's, but this new ride seems to be hot (temp wise). The heat radiates everywhere around the bike.

I purchased an Oil Level and Temp Dipstick (63004-09) and installed this eve. Well... at idle in the garage (ambient temp 85 deg F) the new Glide rose to 260 deg F in about 20 minutes. The oil level on the LED began to show HI LEVEL, (even though it was at normal levels with lower temps) when I pulled the dipstick it was apparent that the oil was foaming as the dipstick showed bubbles mixed with the oil and the level was higher on the dipstick level indicator than when I initially installed it.

At about 265 deg the engine made a missing sound and started firing on a single cylinder, at least in my opinion. The temp stabilized and rose slightly to 270 deg after that transition. It seemed really hot to me, and I shut it down until I could get the opinions of the more educated folks on this forum.

So if you folks could give me your opinions and experience with MAX temps I would sincerely appreciate it. I know there are other threads with respect to this issue, but I couldn't gleam much info from what I have read.

Thanks in advance !!
The impossible just takes a little longer

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: 09 SERG Oil Temp
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:04 AM »

I just picked up my SERG yesterday. I'll keep an eye on this and get back to u

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »

Hi Iglide,

From your post you state that you had the bike on idle for 20 minutes in your garage. That may be your problem.
It is not good for an air cooled Twin Cam motor to just sit and idle for extended times. They need the air blowing over them to cool off.
You would be surprised to watch your gauge and see just how fast it changes depending wether you are moving down the highway or sitting at a traffic light.
That firing on a single cylinder is the heat management system that Harley has on the bike so it will shut down the rear cylinder when hot at idle. The cylinder will begin to fire once you take it off idle and get moving again. There are threads on this site discussing the feature and it should be in your owner's manual too.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »

i myself have had the same problem on both my 07 and 09, i have the dipstick your talking about, the temps run 220-240 normal, as high as 270-310 high temps . the dipstick will say high level when it's hot (270ish). do yourself a favor, disregard the reading about high level, but the temp. is correct. this bike runs this hot at idle. get her on the road and it will cool down

just my oppion
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »

I was waiting for this fourm to start..I figured the 09's would run cooler with rear cylinder shutdown and the findings from the 07's and the 08's :nixweiss:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »

The "modern" Harley V-Twin can't be allowed to just sit and idle for extended periods without airflow over the engine.  These things aren't made like the engines in stationary equipment (compressors, generators, etc.), and they won't tolerate this kind of activity for long periods of time.

Oil expands as it heats up.  I suggest that you never fill to the full mark when cold; in fact I fill to only 1/8" over the add mark when cold which corresponds to about halfway between add and full when hot.  These engines do not like excessive oil levels and will often protest by blowing some out of the air cleaner and all over your leg and the side of the bike. 

Normal oil temperature is 230°F.  If you are seeing 300°F plus on a regular basis, you need to make sure you're using a top quality synthetic and you need to change it more often.  You might also want to take a look at your riding habits.  For instance, shut the engine down when sitting for more than a minute or two, like for a train. 

If you want to reduce the excessive engine temps, get the bike tuned.  The stock EPA compliant air/fuel ratio is lean, which results in a hotter burn.  While excess fuel will result in higher emissions, it will also result in cooler running.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 06:01:07 PM »

Agree!!!!!!!! Get some air and fuel in there and don't sit and idle that long under any circumstances. Not Good! And if you can take your header pipe(s) and get them jet hot coated. It sends 90% of the radiant heat out the end of the pipe instead of on your leg. I have been doing that to my bikes for years and wouldn't ride one without it now. It really helps both the motor and rider comfort. If you don't know what this is it is a ceramic coating that sprint car and drag racers use on their exhaust headers. If you notice at night they will turn cherry red and when they return to the pits the exhaust returns to the normal color. Mine are coated inside and out with the natural aluminum look (rineharts with heat shields) but it comes in many colors .

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »

OK Gents,

Thanks for the info. I knew the HDs would run hotter than I was accustomed to, just didn't know how hot. Not sure how I'm going to walk that bike down the Main Street of Sturgis next year??? Always takes forever to get through town. Guess I will park half way and wait for the ride to cool down.

Honestly, the air and foam suspended in the oil gave me more concern than the 260F temp.

So... I appreciate your suggestions and will implement them, but for now I can't hang with that oil.

Switched to Mobil 1, and....No, I won't try that experiment again  ;)
The impossible just takes a little longer

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 20 queries.