Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whoops Need a little help Tail lights blowing fuses  (Read 990 times)

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SEUC 8
Whoops Need a little help Tail lights blowing fuses
« on: September 26, 2008, 06:45:55 PM »

Fiugre I would ask the real experts first.  I changed out my front signals with some LED bulbs. ( Yes I know I should have put the overload breaker on  Well last night on a dinner run I noticed I didnt have any tailights, so checked fuse this am, sure enough it was blown.  I took out the LED bulbs and put the orignal in back in but I'm popping the fuse the minute I turn the key on.  I have brakes, and turn signals just not back lights.  Anybody have an idea as its friday the start of a great riding weekend.  Thanks Terry

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Whoops Need a little help Tail lights blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »

Remove the tail light bulb/bulbs and refuse. See if it holds. If it does relamp it, but make sure you are using the correct bulb. Check the socket and make sure all is right before installing the new bulb.

If the fuse still blows, you have a dead short in one or more circuits attached to that fuse. Get out the shop manual and check what is attached to that circuit. Look at all those components and the wire leading to them. There is likely wire, fixture, or a supplied device failure. Your goal would be to disconnect each component in a logical order until you find the defective device. This assumes that the wire harness to each device does not show some obvious damage. No bare or exposed wire. If the short is in a wire or harness there will usually be some associated melting or discoloration of the wire insulation.

If someone has done some recent wiring or electrical modification, I would suspect that first.

I would check under the fender in the tail light area and see if the wire harness is damaged there.

Hope this helps.
The impossible just takes a little longer

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 07:47:04 PM »

Thanks IGlide sure enough it was a short.  I had taken my hwy bar off and replaced it with the Fairing support bar and in the process pinched the wires running from the blinker.  Glad it was something easily fixed.  First time for riding at night on the bike so haven't noticed but just replaced those bulbs the day before and I just assumed it had somthing to do with that. 
Thanks again

Carlos Silva

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 10:47:25 PM »

First time for riding at night on the bike... 

...how ya like the red light gauges...I just rode at night for the first time last weekend, think they look great! :2vrolijk_21:
2000 FLTRSEI  3-ToneRed - sold
2003 FXSTDSE  Centennial Gold
2009 FLTRSE3  Silver/Titanium
2007 400-HP TRAILBLAZER SS TOW VEHICLE

...when it comes to buying toys, I can justify anything

tdowell65

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:01:59 AM »

Very cool bike at night was a little embarrassed the other night when not one but every bike on the ride had to pull up and tell me you got no taillights.  This is after they were oogling all over it in the parking light.  Can't believe how many guys thought it was a custom bike.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.