Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dragon wings  (Read 2103 times)

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
Dragon wings
« on: August 01, 2005, 11:30:34 PM »

Finally got the Kuryaken (sp?) Dragon wings in dark smoke. They actually are just smoke color. I like them much better than the freedom wings, especially how they mount. They use all three holes to hold them to the fairing and are the exact same shape and sit at the exact same angle as the stock fixed deflectors. And before somebody says, " [smiley=worthless.gif]", here are a few pics.
MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Dragon wings
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 11:31:18 PM »

MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 11:32:01 PM »

MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:32:46 PM »

MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:33:36 PM »

MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 11:34:21 PM »

MObe

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 01:15:55 AM »

I've got a air of the freedom wings too.

Five things bothered me about them.

1) They are only held on by 2 screws and the arms that they are held on by could put a bit of force on that fairing. I would hate to see them crack the mount bosses on that high dollar painted inner fairing.

2) They contact the fairing in the closed position and rub the paint.

3) They are not as big as the original equipment deflectors and in my opinion don't work as well.

4) They contact the tank when opened past a certain point, and you know I don't need any more paint problems.

5) They sit at a rearward angle in the closed position and create a bit of turbulence. The stock deflectors push the air further out to the side instead of letting it roll back at the rider.
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 01:16:35 AM »

Hmmmmmm   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

While I'm not doing back flips over the appearance of the Freedom Wings I do really like how well they work.  Would assume these work as well and accomplish the same thing.  In another of those different strokes for different folks things though, I really don't like the dragonfly wing looking appearance of those things terribly well either.  If the Freedom Wings ever breaks will have to decide between the two.  But can't see changing the Freedoms for the dragonfly things based on appearance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 02:19:08 AM »

I've got a air of the freedom wings too.

Five things bothered me about them.

1) They are only held on by 2 screws and the arms that they are held on by could put a bit of force on that fairing. I would hate to see them crack the mount bosses on that high dollar painted inner fairing.

2) They contact the fairing in the closed position and rub the paint.

3) They are not as big as the original equipment deflectors and in my opinion don't work as well.

4) They contact the tank when opened past a certain point, and you know I don't need any more paint problems.

5) They sit at a rearward angle in the closed position and create a bit of turbulence. The stock deflectors push the air further out to the side instead of letting it roll back at the rider.

Wow, some of that made me have to stop and think about where mine were.  Had to go out and look for some of it.

1) The two screws thing had me wondering a bit to begin with as well.  I used a pair of black plastic plumbing washers between the mount stalks and the fairing.  They're about an 1/8" thick and just under a 1/4" in diameter.  Gives a wider surface contact and firmer purchase against the fairing and protects the paint at the same time.

2) Yeap, they sure do.  Mine came with a welt cord on the inside and that soft cord is what contacts the fairing rather than the hard plastic.  At least while these things are new there is so little vibration in the unit I don't know if it'll be a problem.  Just to be on the safe side, however, when I close them I don't push them more than just barely making contact.

3) They don't block as completely as the original solid pieces.  But I wanted them for everything but cool/cold weather.  For October to March I'll spend 5 minutes and put the other ones back on.

4) Yikes, the last thing you need is more paint hassles.  I don't if if the difference might be the thickness of the washers I used for a mounting surface.  But mine don't touch the tank.

5) I noticed only the slightest bit of difference in turbulence when they're closed as compared to the stock ones.  Really minimal.  I was blaming it on teh slightly smaller size.  But whatever the reason the difference on the red bike was negligible.  Where I did see a lot of turbulence, however, was at a spot just beyond 3/4 open.  More was ok.  Less was ok.  One spot there though and it was a real shirt and helmet shaker.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 08:14:57 AM »

I saw these at Myrtle Beach on display, and I am  more direct than twolane. They are just butt ugly. I told the Kurakyn rep that when we inspected them at the show. He agreed and said they would be changed, he just didn't know when.  

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

I saw these at Myrtle Beach on display, and I am  more direct than twolane. They are just butt ugly. I told the Kurakyn rep that when we inspected them at the show. He agreed and said they would be changed, he just didn't know when.  

Ah hah!  Diplomacy in motion!   however....  I tend to agree! [smiley=oops.gif]
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 12:21:41 PM »

I saw these at Myrtle Beach on display, and I am  more direct than twolane. They are just butt ugly.  

Ohhhh that made me laugh.  Got to admit, I thought they were downright fugly too.  But hey, they were on a guy's bike so what're you gonna do  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] ?

Those Freedom Wings ain't especially glamorous looking.  But they work good and don't make the bike look like a big bug getting ready to take flight  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2005, 01:03:28 PM »

I don't know guys I kind of like the crazed insect look. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
MObe

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 03:30:08 PM »

I don't know guys I kind of like the crazed insect look. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Oh man, guys with green bikes are just weird  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  !

Hey, just thought of something Mike.  With that trip to Colorado you described I'm guessing you've gone beyond another 5600 miles on the bike.  How's the second back tire holding up?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2005, 03:31:44 PM by twolanerider »

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »

I think that last one would have been good for about 7000, but I didn't want to worry about it this summer so I just put on a new one. This one will have about 7000 on it when I get back from sturgis.
 I might give a set of Metzler ME880s a try. Only problem that I can see is that the back tire on our bikes is a 140 x 85, and Metzler only makes the ME880 rear in a 140 x 90 aspect ratio. My speedo is a bit optimistic anyway so this really wouldn't bother things much.
 The guy that I'm riding to sturgis with swears by the ME 880s. So I might try a set.
MObe
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.