Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Oil Cooler?  (Read 3551 times)

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
Oil Cooler?
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:51:47 PM »

Has anyone installed an oil cooler on their CVO? Would welcome opinions on the necessity. If so, what did you install? Why?

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
Re: Oil Cooler?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:14:45 PM »

I used a Milwawkee Dual Cool oil cooler.  Works good and looks even better!

BUFFY
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

mnm327

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »

Has anyone installed an oil cooler on their CVO?              Yes.

Would welcome opinions on the necessity.         Not necessary. I see 4-8 degrees difference which really doesn't help if your bike runs 300.  But hey, that's normal, RIGHT HARLEY?

If so, what did you install?        The Harley oil cooler (with the chrome cover, which is mounted using gasket sealant, because that's how Harley rolls.).         

Why?              Ummmm, because of the 110 heat issues. (But again, that's normal, RIGHT HARLEY?)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:12:26 PM »

I have the original installed - which doesn't look too bad either - if you ask the dealer to use steel braided lines and not the original ones which look tacky on a CVO.
 Reason for having one is that I do ride substantial distances sometimes (even if I eluded to the fact in this same forum sometimes that the bike setup lends itself badly for ironbutt journey's - but just to be controversial and because my old man rode a '36 EL across the better part of Europe in his haydays ..I had to embark on a trip to the Dolomites last summer ) Previous experience had learned me that the lean fuel setup , higher elevation and 12 hrs non-stop rides were doable w/o oilcooler but not necessarily healthy for the longevity of the engine (nor my "nuts" hanging above the engine) . So .there you go ..
Oh and why stick to the HD one versus tons of "better" offerings on the market ? For one , I don't think he original is that bad really at all and secondly the '07 I own is still under factory-warranty that would be immediately void if I were so bold to install a non-MoCo cooler.

Rik

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 02:56:33 PM »

A well designed oil cooler from folks like Jagg will reduce actual oil temperatures by as much as 30°, but you have to be aware of the limitations.  An oil cooler is just like a radiator in your car, it relies on air flow.  Without sufficient air flow from forward motion, your car's cooling fan kicks in to provide the required flow.  No such thing with the Harley, and without air flow your cooler is pretty much useless.

Look for a cooler with the maximum number of tubes (or rows, as in "10 row cooler") that can be mounted where there is effective air flow.  This is where you can have issues, since the mounting location that's best for cooling the oil most likely will not be the one that looks best.  Even a chrome cover or end caps doesn't turn an ugly radiator and two hoses into anyone's idea of beauty.

Is it worth it?  In my opinion yes it is.  A Harley is cooled by air and by oil, and as hot as the latest versions run even a 10° or 20° reduction is a good thing both for the life of the engine and the life of the oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »

Thanks guys. I have an issue with the HD cooler as the '09 catalog says it will not fit with the chin/front spoiler, which will be installed next week. Luckily, I have all winter to think about it.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 04:34:10 PM »

What's wrong with the stock oil cooler?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 05:04:18 PM »

What's wrong with the stock oil cooler?

The Springer doesn't come with a stock oil cooler.  As far as I can remember, only the Touring CVO models come with the cooler as standard equipment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cyphers

• '08 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: '08 FXSTSSE2 (Springer)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »

Southern California commuting doesn't always allow for maximum speeds/maximum air cooling, but I can usually get 30 or 35 mph safely in the #1.5 lane.  I had the HD premium oiler kit installed (part number 26157-07) after owning my '08 Springer for about 6 months.  I figure the 10-20 degree reduction in temperature is a good investment in the longevity of the engine. 

JMS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FXSTSSE3 Black and Green
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »

I had it on when I picked my 09 Springer up, I worked a pretty hard deal with the dealership and they had to make some money off the deal.
I think is look good, I will say that the dealership installed it and as ussual it was half a#$ed work.
Chrome cover is held on with silicon, and it was flopping in the wind.
I've put them on other bikes and it is pretty easy to do.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:11:18 PM »

The majority of my riding is to and from work requiring many stops at lights in hot weather. Doesn't sound like a oil cooler will do much good since there is minimal air flow in these situations. Probably why synthetic oil is required in my bike. HD probably didn't install them as standard equipment due to the same reason.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 09:13:35 AM »

The majority of my riding is to and from work requiring many stops at lights in hot weather. Doesn't sound like a oil cooler will do much good since there is minimal air flow in these situations. Probably why synthetic oil is required in my bike. HD probably didn't install them as standard equipment due to the same reason.

You might want to consider switching your oil out to Mobil 1 V Twin.  I started out using it in Corvettes years ago to solve some of the airflow/cooling problems and upon finding a 20+ degree difference began using it in bikes when the V Twin oil was introduced.  I can tell you that using a thermal gun under as exacting conditions as possible that the product reduces oil tempts in a HD by 20-30 degrees depending upon model.  I'd rather change the oil than hang a cooler on the bike.

springervett

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Just so I understand..... You are seeing a 20 deg. reduction in oil temp using Mobil 1 as apposed to the HD synthetic? I have also used Mobil 1 in my vetts, but didn't know they made a product specifically for v-twins.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 12:01:16 PM »

Just so I understand..... You are seeing a 20 deg. reduction in oil temp using Mobil 1 as apposed to the HD synthetic? I have also used Mobil 1 in my vetts, but didn't know they made a product specifically for v-twins.

They do, and it's called Mobil 1 V-Twin! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »

I think they went to the V Twin oil about 3 years ago.  As with the regular Mobil 1 it ranks in the top 3 lubricants available if you check the various oil research sites.  Have had several competition 'vette engines down after a diet of M1 and found the difference to be night and day compared to the previous premium and racing oils that I used.  As you know, not even an HD runs as hot as a big bore engine stuffed in a 'vette .... no problems, no failures.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.