Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Loops - ECM - Tuners - Maps: I Need Help!  (Read 4917 times)

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Re: Loops - ECM - Tuners - Maps: I Need Help!
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 10:37:26 AM »

What is a "canned map"?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:42 AM »

What is a "canned map"?

Canned maps are approximate reference points for certian tuning parameters as it pertains to the ecm process control "maps", or tuning algorithims.

They are baseline setpoints for example of different Hi-Flo air cleaners, hi-flo exhausts and the like. 

Savvy?

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »

Once I have made my changes, drill cat and Fullsac cores, can I just have the bike tuned at the dealer or will I require added hardware (ie sert)?

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 11:05:06 AM »

I would guess that until you actually add more air via an hi-flo air cleaner, the air flow through the motor has been not been changed. 

The dealer may be able to "flash" the ecm, but what parameter change would he affect, I don't know.
It is not cheap and I am not sold on the impact it would have by you simply making the bike louder.

Anyone who has some knowledge, please chime in...

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »

What is a "canned map"?

Example, if I add V&H Classic slip-on's and a SE high flow A/C, there is a map listed on the Power Commander web page for a bike that was tuned with this setup and the map was saved and loaded to their library. But due to altitude, temperature, and differences in each motor this might not be exactly perfect for your bike, but should be close. But if you do a total build cams, displacement and heads, you can load a break in download to get you through the break in time period, then get a full dyno tune to get you bike to hopfully run at it's best.

eddfive

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 12:25:31 PM »

A canned map will allow the bike to run but not anywhere near an optimized level.  There are a lot of tuning devices on the market currently and they have a wide range of cost.  The best thing to do is find a tuner, aske him what he suggest and go from there.  The ultimate tune is to program the ECU on the bike as that will allow a tuner to adjust tables needed to optimize the bike from startup to WOT.  Most tuners will have the software and cables for most any of the tuning devices you will only need the communication interface.  Asking your friends on this site who and where to go would be a start.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 12:55:56 PM »

A canned map will allow the bike to run but not anywhere near an optimized level.  There are a lot of tuning devices on the market currently and they have a wide range of cost.  The best thing to do is find a tuner, aske him what he suggest and go from there.  The ultimate tune is to program the ECU on the bike as that will allow a tuner to adjust tables needed to optimize the bike from startup to WOT.  Most tuners will have the software and cables for most any of the tuning devices you will only need the communication interface.  Asking your friends on this site who and where to go would be a start.

I don't agree with the general statement, "not anywhere near an optimized level". It depends, if your just changing pipes and air cleaner, most will get you close. When I did it, the canned map was off a little. It comes down to the question, do you want to spend $300- $500 on a full tune, just for your pipes and air cleaner, not including a SERT, or PCIII? Will you really get your moneys worth? I spent $75 and got 1.5 hp, not to bad, just my thoughts.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »

The down side to azzdynoing for me was the $140 speeding ticket...  :P

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »

I would guess that until you actually add more air via an hi-flo air cleaner, the air flow through the motor has been not been changed. 

The dealer may be able to "flash" the ecm, but what parameter change would he affect, I don't know.
It is not cheap and I am not sold on the impact it would have by you simply making the bike louder.

Anyone who has some knowledge, please chime in...

This has been my thought all along, keep in mind the bike in question is a 09 SERG with the stock so called Hi-Flo air filter. Some say the change in back pressure do to changing the exhaust is reason enough to require a race tuner. Even my dealer doesn't know. He said the minor changes have no affect, but he didn't even know there was a cat in the pipe. I would have thought he would have been eager to take my money and send me on my way.

Also, what does it mean to "flash" the ECM?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:10:49 PM by bribe36 »

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

The old a$$ dyno has worked for many years and someone who has done it a lot can be very good at it. If you have the SERT or Mastertune setup there is a program in it that will help the a$$ meter out. Use the data logging software to record a WOT pull in third gear. Then use the dyno part of the software when you play back the recorded data. The trick is not the numbers you get but the numbers you start with and the ones you end up with. So if you see and improvement in the data your going the right way with your adjustments. Just for the record if you set the dyno data up properly the numbers collected will be pretty damn close to what you would see on a real dyno too. For those of you with O2 sensor bikes V-tune helps auto tune them nicely.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »

Also, what does it mean to "flash" the ECM?

It means that they send a file to the ECM that reprograms it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »

When I did it, the canned map was off a little. It comes down to the question, do you want to spend $300- $500 on a full tune, just for your pipes and air cleaner, not including a SERT, or PCIII? Will you really get your moneys worth?

It'd be worth it to me. My pickup is a tool I need for everyday use. If it wasn't tuned properly, I may or not worry with it. The motorcyle is a toy and a hobby to occupy my time. I simply want it to do what it is capable of doing. I'm not looking to push the limits neither. But, if there is 5 HP and 5 # TQ in there, I want it. If it's not quite running right, I will continue until it either runs right, or, I've run out of money.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

It'd be worth it to me. My pickup is a tool I need for everyday use. If it wasn't tuned properly, I may or not worry with it. The motorcyle is a toy and a hobby to occupy my time. I simply want it to do what it is capable of doing. I'm not looking to push the limits neither. But, if there is 5 HP and 5 # TQ in there, I want it. If it's not quite running right, I will continue until it either runs right, or, I've run out of money.  ;D

Good point.

What is a PCIII?

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »

Good point.

What is a PCIII?

Power Comander III, it a tuner that pigbacks your original ECU.

SCOTTEVIL39

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »

thanks jerry for the info..
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.